Premier League star arrested on suspicion of rape

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I know the police feed general information to the public as a way of getting witnesses and evidence. Putting the heat on someone also provides giveaways about their character. Hopefully libel laws offer some protection for the innocent but the whole thing Is a shit show. As a Buddhist I believe we all get the results of our actions down the road. Often it’s a our conscience that destroys us even if the law doesn’t.

When I heard 29 year old footballer...North London etc...Is it wrong that my first instinct was that I wish it wasn't one of ours?

Seems mad that we've been conditioned like this or maybe it's just me?

Football tribalism is mad, wish I didn't think like this :thumbdown:

When I heard 29 year old footballer...North London etc...Is it wrong that my first instinct was that I wish it wasn't one of ours?

It's what makes you a fan. You don't want negative light shining on the club and you don't want someone that you've cheered on and applauded for years being guilty of these things.

I don’t think it’s wrong …. These are players we emotionally invest in, we laud and criticise them and for the most part feel some pride that they’re representing our club

I think it’s natural you / I / we wouldn’t want such heavy association connected to our club

It's what makes you a fan. You don't want negative light shining on the club and you don't want someone that you've cheered on and applauded for years being guilty of these things.

At the same time my initial instinct should tell me that I hope that the allegations aren't true and there's been some sort of mistake and then if someone did get raped I hope he/she is alright as opposed to going into defensive mode.

Umm - filling column inches in newspapers is their job.

If there is a known rapist on the loose its bad news, if he's in police custody - thats good news for the women of North London, surely?
That's the sort of response that makes this type of reporting grow legs.

Whoever it is is not a "known rapist." THAT has to be established in a court of law via due process. Until then, whoever it is is innocent until proven otherwise.

I'd have thought that the amount of false accusations that have been proven in the past would encourage people to keep their powder dry until the process takes its course

Umm - filling column inches in newspapers is their job.

If there is a known rapist on the loose its bad news, if he's in police custody - thats good news for the women of North London, surely?
Careful Mick - the phrase 'known rapist' could be seen as pre-judging. Let me know if you change it and I can delete this post.

There’s nowt wrong with hoping that it’s not one of our players. I’ve seen a lot of hand wringing and stuff in the various threads on this across various forums.

Of course no one wants to forget the victim in all this, and of course no one wants to wrongly accuse innocent guys of doing this. But at the end of the day we are all fans of our own clubs, and it’s not wrong to hope for the best for our club.

It doesn’t mean we don’t care about the victim or the accused, it‘s just human nature to not want it to be someone you support. Me hoping it’s not one of our players isn’t going to change the fact of who has or hasn’t been arrested or raped.

There’s nowt wrong with hoping that it’s not one of our players. I’ve seen a lot of hand wringing and stuff in the various threads on this across various forums.

Of course no one wants to forget the victim in all this, and of course no one wants to wrongly accuse innocent guys of doing this. But at the end of the day we are all fans of our own clubs, and it’s not wrong to hope for the best for our club.

It doesn’t mean we don’t care about the victim or the accused, it‘s just human nature to not want it to be someone you support. Me hoping it’s not one of our players isn’t going to change the fact of who has or hasn’t been arrested or raped.

I didn't say there was anything wrong with thinking that it wasn't one of our players, I questioned whether it was wrong that my first instinct was to hope that it wasn't one of ours. I say this because I feel like when a separate incident happens and my first thing is like I hope none of my friends and family are caught up in it but that's natural as I know them and have a personal/emotional connection with them...maybe it's the same for our players, despite not knowing them per-se we still have that bond with them as we are fully invested in them on and off the pitch.

Anyway just musing really...

That's the sort of response that makes this type of reporting grow legs.

Whoever it is is not a "known rapist." THAT has to be established in a court of law via due process. Until then, whoever it is is innocent until proven otherwise.

I'd have thought that the amount of false accusations that have been proven in the past would encourage people to keep their powder dry until the process takes its course
I wasn't being incident specific - it was just a general comment about what reporters do. I have reworded my original comment to reflect that

Not convinced that's what you meant, especially as you were referring to the women of N London, in this specific thread, but I'll take your word for it.
no - thats exactly what I meant as a response to the comments about what reporters do. As you rightly pointed out, I wasn't clear on that.

My biggest gripe over these type of things is

There are women who target footballers - for the fame and the money. If they don't get what they want out of the liaison - it can be a short step to shouting rape, because all he wanted was a bunk up.

Potentially the famous player then has his name dragged through the courts off the back of a spurned gold digger.

But these are young men full of vim and sometimes they let the little head rule the big one

But they're only accused at this point.
what I was trying to say (inelegantly on reflection) was that if a man committing rape in North London was on the loose, then it is in a reporters remit to warn the public. Similarly if the aforementioned was then in nick, it would be good news for the women in that area
It wasn't meant to be a comment on the specifics of the crime reported

I'll get me coat

Back
Top Bottom