Racism in football

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm glad this thread opened back up, the last thing the discussion needed was to be swept aside, although granted things took an awkward turn. That's the issue with tackling racism though, the minute it gets awkward many people consciously step away. If, as a result of this thread, even one person is a little more willing to put themselves forward, to perhaps challenge a family member/ friend/ colleague about some questionable views then that is a step in the right direction

Last edited:
I'm glad this thread opened back up, the last thing the discussion needed was to be swept aside, although granted things took an awkward turn. That's the issue with tackling racism though, the minute it gets awkward many people consciously step away. If, as a result of this thread, even one person is a little more willing to put themselves forward, to perhaps challenge a family member/ friend/ colleague about some questionable views then that is one step in the right direction
I think it just needed a little cooling down which the ‘break’ did.

Some very useful thing to be discussed about this issue but that discussion becomes irrelevant when it starts getting filled with petty point scoring and abuse (from all “sides”)

Im glad it’s back open though, as you say.

Ironically more likely classism rather than racism
I mean lets be adults here, of course everything you see from professional athletes in that format is substantially ghostwritten by PR people.

That doesn't mean it doesn't reflect Saka's sentiment. Anyone with a lick of sense in that scenario would want to communicate with professional help.

That doesn't mean it doesn't reflect Saka's sentiment. Anyone with a lick of sense in that scenario would want to communicate with professional help.
owfqypv1.gif

I mean lets be adults here, of course everything you see from professional athletes in that format is substantially ghostwritten by PR people.

Probably but that's the same for a politician and pretty much anyone in the public eye and I guess he didn't feel the need to make that same comment , hence the classism.

Also read the room even if he thinks that why say it now.

I think it just needed a little cooling down which the ‘break’ did.

Some very useful thing to be discussed about this issue but that discussion becomes irrelevant when it starts getting filled with petty point scoring and abuse (from all “sides”)

Im glad it’s back open though, as you say.
i agree it was getting a bit hostile and would have got worse if it had not been closed

I think the flair up earlier in this thread is due to a lot of crossed wires.

Yes there's a very small element that seem to be racist, and a small element that are hyper sensitive to any debate either way, but for the most part I'd say the majority agree that racism is a terrible thing.

The issue seems to be about the extent of the issue and what sporting protests represent.

For some it inflames the issues or dilutes the cause. Personally I can't see anything wrong with drawing attention to the issue when it remains such a negative feature of society.

I doubt it will ever go, but solidarity isn't the same as a cure. It's exactly what it is, a show of rejecting prejudice and sending a message that people from all walks of life can stand together to respect differences such as race, gender, and sexual preference.

Oh look.

I'll be waiting for an apology from various posters on here but won't hold my breath.

Police say vandalism on Rashford mural “not believed to be of a racial nature”

So not only is Rashford subject to unpleasant abuse (as have countless players after major tournaments) but the police then stir up unfounded racist connotations, arguably causing Rashford even greater distress. And everyone joins in for the clicks and the feelz. Sickening fake news. I've never said racism doesn't exist, only that using it when its not applicable makes the word meaningless, and gives fuel to people with extreme views.

Last edited:
Oh look.

I'll be waiting for an apology from various posters on here but won't hold my breath.

So not only is Rashford subject to unpleasant abuse (as have countless players after major tournaments) but the police then stir up unfounded racist connotations, arguably causing Rashford even greater distress. And everyone joins in for the clicks and the feelz. Sickening fake news. I've never said racism doesn't exist, only that using it when its not applicable makes the word meaningless, and gives fuel to people with extreme views.
All players get unpleasant abuse at some point, they don't all get racist abuse though. Chris waddle, Stuart Pearce, Southgate, Batty nobody mentioned their colour at all.

Oh look.

Which is the point several of us were making. Everyone with half a brain thinks racism is wrong but constantly trying to find a racist element in every little thing when very often there isn't any does nobody any good.

I've never said racism doesn't exist
Who has, ever?

But if you don't agree with every bit of racism that's pointed out to you, even if it's highly speculative or unfounded, if you dare not to jump on the bandwagon, apparently you're denying it exists anywhere. It's crazy. Utterly demented thinking. I've literally said BLM will create more division and racism, but that's apparently denying racism too, so where's the logic in any of this?

Racism is bad. Obviously. Looking for racism in everything is almost as bad imo because it fuels more disharmony. People seem to want division, certainly so on here and they almost appear to be willing there to be racism just to hold some upper hand which is appalling behaviour. It goes to the point where it's manufactured like in the case of Jusse Smollett in the states. That was even more sinister though as he did it to raise his profile which thankfully backfired.

But you won't get an apology, the goalposts will move, folk will bide some time and wait for the next thing they can fling your way. Rince. Repeat. Never any accountibility. You'll get a meme, or some other smug diversion tactic like outright ridiculous whataboutery to gloss over it all. The media jump on anything to sensationalise and ramp up this divide, and I see no difference in the race baiters on here, or elsewhere. But the media, or the police? Well they should all be trusted when it fits the narrative. The rest of the time they're systemically racist etc. Blah blah blah. It's bonkers.

Hopefully the dawn of a new day.

Considering there are posters in this very thread that have done this, notably to Heung Min Son and Mo Farah on this very forum, reporting these posts will see action.

Police getting involved and enforcing bans on the platforms they do this would be a start.

Zero tolerance for racist actions whether in real life, or the cowards who act anonymously online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom