Richarlison

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Earlier in the window, when the rumours were that Inter had to sell "one of their key assets", I think we all understood our interest in the likes of Bastoni & Barella. We could see where they fitted into Conte's tactical system.

The rumoured interest in Lautaro Martinez made little sense though, because Italian football watchers said El Toro Lautaro can only play through the middle, not out wide.

Watching how Conte used Richarlison yesterday, it makes more sense. Having an aggressive, physical, central striker unsettling the opposing CBs & making runs in behind opens up the other side of Kane's game, the Berbatov / Cantona creative element. He immediately had more space and time.

Also, we still kept Sonny and Deki on the pitch, so we effectively had a "famous four", which would strike fear into most, probably all, opposing defences.

I trust Conte to introduce & work hard on a tactical system which makes it difficult for opponents to score against us. But I can see us switching between 3-4-3, and a 4-2-4 / 4-4/2 system as the season progresses.

Fundamentally, Conte has had 8-9 months of working with Kane. The two clearly respect & trust each other. But Conte has always loved a strong, physical, CF who can create chaos and open up space for others. And it may be that as Kane enters the autumn of his career, Conte will look to utilize the creative side of his game in this new, slightly deeper role.

Earlier in the window, when the rumours were that Inter had to sell "one of their key assets", I think we all understood our interest in the likes of Bastoni & Barella. We could see where they fitted into Conte's tactical system.

The rumoured interest in Lautaro Martinez made little sense though, because Italian football watchers said El Toro Lautaro can only play through the middle, not out wide.

Watching how Conte used Richarlison yesterday, it makes more sense. Having an aggressive, physical, central striker unsettling the opposing CBs & making runs in behind opens up the other side of Kane's game, the Berbatov / Cantona creative element. He immediately had more space and time.

Also, we still kept Sonny and Deki on the pitch, so we effectively had a "famous four", which would strike fear into most, probably all, opposing defences.

I trust Conte to introduce & work hard on a tactical system which makes it difficult for opponents to score against us. But I can see us switching between 3-4-3, and a 4-2-4 / 4-4/2 system as the season progresses.

Fundamentally, Conte has had 8-9 months of working with Kane. The two clearly respect & trust each other. But Conte has always loved a strong, physical, CF who can create chaos and open up space for others. And it may be that as Kane enters the autumn of his career, Conte will look to utilize the creative side of his game in this new, slightly deeper role.
Working on the defensive shape when we change formation is the vital part here.. we looked incredibly vulnerable at 1-1 and again at 2-1 yesterday. Davies and Dier are very good players for us in a back three, not good enough in a back four.

Working on the defensive shape when we change formation is the vital part here.. we looked incredibly vulnerable at 1-1 and again at 2-1 yesterday. Davies and Dier are very good players for us in a back three, not good enough in a back four.
Lenglet would also be better in a 3. So there may be a personnel problem in playing a back 4.

But I expected Richarlison to be used as one of the wide attackers, not as a CF.

If this is Conte's Plan A for Richarlison, then he will have to introduce & work on a second tactical system, even if last season's 3-4-3 (or 3-4-2-1 as he called it in yesterday's presser) remains our first choice.

He could go 3-5-2, with Deki and Perisic as WBs, and 3 of Bentancur, Bissouma, PEH & Skipp in CM. But I certainly don't want to see Sonny as a LWB, and in that formation he would be competing with Kane & Richarlison for one of the two striker spots.

He does so much dirty work that Kane is not willing to do… press and make runs into the box. We need to figure out a way to play them both and use each ones strengths.

Bit different if players start and play 90 minutes (like Kane) or come on after 56 minutes.
Difference is - like that you have to keep pressing for 34 minutes + defenders are already more tired.

So basically comparing something that cannot be compared.

But I agree that with his sub the energy level shift was felt even through the screen.
Very hard to prove and quantify, but I have a feeling that we wouldn't have got a point without him coming on.

Lenglet would also be better in a 3. So there may be a personnel problem in playing a back 4.

But I expected Richarlison to be used as one of the wide attackers, not as a CF.

If this is Conte's Plan A for Richarlison, then he will have to introduce & work on a second tactical system, even if last season's 3-4-3 (or 3-4-2-1 as he called it in yesterday's presser) remains our first choice.

He could go 3-5-2, with Deki and Perisic as WBs, and 3 of Bentancur, Bissouma, PEH & Skipp in CM. But I certainly don't want to see Sonny as a LWB, and in that formation he would be competing with Kane & Richarlison for one of the two striker spots.

Maybe he could tweak what we saw yesterday to be a 334 instead?

Davies and Dier are very good players for us in a back three, not good enough in a back four.
The problem is that they are just not very good players. A back 3 works wonders in keeping their weaknesses hidden, but a back 4 exposes them more.

Jan and Toby were just on a different level to these two. That's the difference IMO. The belgian duo would have worked well in a back 3 or 4.

Conte can imrove Dier/Davies but we just need to go out there and get ourselves a top quality CB whos good regardless of formation.

Well, one man's 3-3-4 is another's 3-5-2.

WBs definitely have defensive responsibilities to protect the flank. Without the ball, our WBs typically form a 5 man back line.

So, out of possession 3-5-2, or even 5-3-2. In possession 3-3-4 with the WBs (eg Deki & Perisic pushed high).

I note again that in yesterday's presser Conte described our core formation as 3-4-2-1. So the actual description of the formation is fluid, and (as above) changes as to whether we have the ball or not.

Well, one man's 3-3-4 is another's 3-5-2.

Diff would be a front 4 of Son/Kane/Rich/Kulu rather than WBs..... Maybe consider that 3313 if Kane's gonna drop into the hole.

WBs definitely have defensive responsibilities to protect the flank. Without the ball, our WBs typically form a 5 man back line.

Without the WBs we'd put more emphasis on the outer CMs & CB's fluidly offering cover in the wider areas as required.

Obvious only works in some contexts, but like yesterday if we're chasing the game and also needing the extra body in the middle it could work........ And as per yesterday(w/ the extra subs now allowed), the option is still there to flip formations again if it suits us.

.......Not necessarily something you'd wanna play from the start though; I get that.

looked like we were playing a 5-4-1 for long stretches. not saying that was the intent, rather, what the formation looked like for much of the first half as we we couldn't get out of our own end

I really liked what I saw from his cameo yesterday. Definitely will bring a different dimension to the attack being more direct and that hold-up play looks really strong (similar to Kane). I hope he gets the start vs Wolves so we can get him integrated into the squad more quickly.

I really liked what I saw from his cameo yesterday. Definitely will bring a different dimension to the attack being more direct and that hold-up play looks really strong (similar to Kane). I hope he gets the start vs Wolves so we can get him integrated into the squad more quickly.
Anyone saying he won't do a good job playing the #9 role for us is wrong. Rich playing up top will be a very different dynamic than Kane but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Defenses are going to have a miserable time trying to contain the pace, movement and explosiveness of a front 3 of Son/Rich/Kulu. We now have options and competition which is a good thing.

Last edited:

Probably not. Conte strikes me as someone rather rigid in his philosophy. If it's not a 352 or 343, it'll likely be 424.

He played it at Juventus until players and form made him transition out of success. He did try it at Chelsea, but it didn't quite work with the players he had so they moved back to the successful 343 that saw them go on to win the league.

It'd be quite ironic if he started out here with the 343 before gradually turning it into a more hybri d 424 that allows us to potentially switch to a 343 in game.

Changed the game for us.

Proper EFFORT.

DESIRE.

HEART.

Wasn't overly keen on him coming, but he does bring something different, for us.

Vital, even.
I liked his performance, so don't want to take anything away from him but I don't agree that he was the reason that changed our performance. I think it was the system change as a whole that did. We were for the first time able to progress the ball to our forwards, this was the dynamic that changed rather than player specific. We had the overload, which pinned Chelsea back.

Anyone saying he won't do a good job playing the #9 role for us is wrong. Rich playing up top will be a very different dynamic than Kane but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Defenses are going to have a miserable time trying to contain the pace, movement and explosiveness of a front 3 of Son/Rich/Kulu. We now have options and competition which is a good thing.

Yeah, he won't be replacing Kane though, no matter how much you post about it or wish it.

Shush - we can all see what you're doing, and you are boring us all.

It’s a combination of load management for Kane and him (whisper it) slowly transitioning into a real 10

I was quite surprised that in his cameo I didn't see him hit the deck once. Seemed far more concerned with getting and keeping the ball.

He does it when he feels he can get a free kick or something out of it, if the opportunity doesn’t arise he won’t. He is a very physical player, this isn’t Bruno Fernandes who gets knocked over by a gust of wind.

Back
Top Bottom