Roberto Soldado

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Well, I certainly don't want him to fail. I just think we have far better options, and the cash to pursue them. I don't want us to risk building a system around a striker that's mind shatters under any amount of pressure. Then again, I guess it's up to the guys in the suits who get paid the big bucks... not the folks like me who post on forums from the shitter.

That's where they do their best thinking too

Not
big_if.jpg
a manager can get Bobby to replicate his La Liga form, which trumps any scoring record Ade has.

Corrected for you.

big_if.jpg

That's the funny thing about stats... not all are recorded. I would be interested to see stats on things like

breaks ruined by poor touch
goal scoring plays ruined by bad pass
breakdown in play ruined by lack of commitment
fouls committed that ruin a good play
fouls committed that lead to a goal against us

Some of which are subjective and hard to quantify at times, but I wouldn't be surprised if the goofs Adebeyor made by poor form/lack of commitment were higher than the goals he scored.
Of course we'll never know if those opportunities would have ended up in a goal because he goofed up.

At the end of the day, when it comes to a striker, there is one stat that matters.

If Soldado had 100 assists and no goals, we´d play him in midfield.
If he made 400 great tackles that stopped goals against us, we´d play him in defence.

Sadly, he has done neither of the above.....on top of not scoring.

I really wanted us to sign Soldado. I had seen playing and followed him the previous 2 seasons in Spain so was sure we were signing a top quality striker.

But, and this might upset some people, I think given the season he's had and his age we need to get rid. I'm all for giving players a chance, but in his case the best thing we can do is cut our losses. Invest whatever we get back for him with the Defoe money (Yes Levy - we've not forgotten it's still burning a hole in your pocket) and go balls deep for Lukaku / Bony / Remy / A.N other.

It's not worked out with Bobby - hey we should accept it and move on.

I really wanted us to sign Soldado. I had seen playing and followed him the previous 2 seasons in Spain so was sure we were signing a top quality striker.

But, and this might upset some people, I think given the season he's had and his age we need to get rid. I'm all for giving players a chance, but in his case the best thing we can do is cut our losses. Invest whatever we get back for him with the Defoe money (Yes Levy - we've not forgotten it's still burning a hole in your pocket) and go balls deep for Lukaku / Bony / Remy / A.N other.

I like your line of thinking but to be fair if we did cut our losses, theyd be huge losses..cant c us getting more than 10 million for him, in that case rather he stay..
we can afford a LB, CB and a striker without selling him or anyone, whether levy would spend his own money..well that's another question..:levylol:

I like your line of thinking but to be fair if we did cut our losses, theyd be huge losses..cant c us getting more than 10 million for him, in that case rather he stay..
we can afford a LB, CB and a striker without selling him or anyone, whether levy would spend his own money..well that's another question..:levylol:
I think in regard to financial losses, we would not be losing too much because there were reports that the deal was structured with a heal of add-ons and performance based conditions needing to be reached before the whole amount was paid.

I think in regard to financial losses, we would not be losing too much because there were reports that the deal was structured with a heal of add-ons and performance based conditions needing to be reached before the whole amount was paid.

even so, we'd still be losing 10-15 million...remember were talking about levy here, this is the guy that lost moutinho over peanuts..

If he stays, I will try to erase this season from memory...but Im inclined to agree that I would rather replace him.

8 or 9 shots on target all season is not ok.

I still don't get why people think Adebayor is the second coming, yet are completely writing off Soldado.

Soldado this season just gone was better than Adebayor in his first permanent season. On the back of that, all those with the gift of hindsight were banging on about how it was a travesty that a guy who scored 8 goals in 34 matches had been left out of the squad...
(This is a comparison on season to season improvement, not player to player before that starts)

Surely I don't need to insult anyone's intelligence by elaborating further on that point?

Bear in mind the irony that most Soldado-bashers also accept that both managers in 2013/14 did not set up the team well for forwards at all, but are crucifying a forward for not somehow being on form..

:pochserious:

I still don't get why people think Adebayor is the second coming, yet are completely writing off Soldado.

Soldado this season just gone was better than Adebayor in his first permanent season. On the back of that, all those with the gift of hindsight were banging on about how it was a travesty that a guy who scored 8 goals in 34 matches had been left out of the squad...
(This is a comparison on season to season improvement, not player to player before that starts)

Surely I don't need to insult anyone's intelligence by elaborating further on that point?

Bear in mind the irony that most Soldado-bashers also accept that both managers in 2013/14 did not set up the team well for forwards at all, but are crucifying a forward for not somehow being on form..

:pochserious:

The fact that you have been arguing the same thing for months now, and the best you can still come up with is basically:

"Soldado was slightly less shit than when Ade played really shit (and I will continue to ONLY compare Ades worst period, and not his best)"

:adethumbup:

Think the point he's trying to make is that last season was Soldado's worst period and not his best.

Its his only period in the PL, and it was shit, as opposed to Ade proving himself at three PL clubs.

The point is, that being good in La Liga doesnt mean that he will come good here. We all want him to, but there is nothing to suggest he should stay ahead of Ade.

Again, we know 100%, Ade can cut it in England. Soldado is still guess work, because so far he has shown he is not up to it.

Its his only period in the PL, and it was shit, as opposed to Ade proving himself at three PL clubs.

The point is, that being good in La Liga doesnt mean that he will come good here. We all want him to, but there is nothing to suggest he should stay ahead of Ade.

Again, we know 100%, Ade can cut it in England. Soldado is still guess work, because so far he has shown he is not up to it.
I don't think you can fully discount 5 or so years of 20ish goals a season in Spain though. I understand the game is more physical here, has a higher tempo etc but he wasn't playing in the Eridivese, he's proven at international level and in the champions league he has been quality. I like Adebayor and when he is on form he can be up there with the best in the Premier league and for ten or so games a season he is. I believe a Soldado with a bit of belief will contribute more than Ade next year. Think Soldado has enough about him physically and if we can start exploiting his movement we'll do well.

Back
Top Bottom