Rodrigo Bentancur

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

No Hispanic people ever had trouble telling them apart. They look very different.
So when Asian people cannot tell white people apart they are not racists?
I have lived in Asia and experienced several times being mistaken for another "white guy". But no, I did not feel it was racist when they explained they some time have trouble distinguish between some white people as to them we look "similar".
Same thing happened in Africa. And they even joked about it. And NO, I did NOT think they were racist in anyway.

Last edited:
So when Asian people cannot tell white people apart they are not racist or racist?
I have lived in Asia and experienced several time being mistaken for another "white guy". But no, I did not feel it was racist when they explained they some time have trouble distinguish between some white people as to them we look "similar".
Same thing happened in Africa. And they even joked about it. And NO, I did NOT think they were racist in anyway.
Because in the church of woke, white people are inherently racist. Which is....erm.....racist.

So when Asian people cannot tell white people apart they are not racist or racist?
I have lived in Asia and experienced several time being mistaken for another "white guy". But no, I did not feel it was racist when they explained they some time have trouble distinguish between some white people as to them we look "similar".
You are seriously not understanding the context of history. And the simple comparison You make as if you are switching like for like underlines this explicitly.

When a mate of mine worked in china years ago and left Shanghai to travel outside the city he once got asked if he was David beckham. Trust me, he looks nothing like him. Did he think it was racist or did he laugh? What do you reckon. It’s crazy. People have too much time on their hands.

Somehow the argument here will always lead to this scenario of difficulty in telling others apart except your own race, and then asking if that is racist. Yes, IMHO it is, but it isn't rude and condemning in all the instances quoted here. Most humans on Earth will have those difficulties. It's all good when we genuinely question others and make mistakes of identifying after trying OR we know the person personally to be making that out of a fun and mutually-understanding remark. We also keep it to ourselves.

Let's go back to Bentancur's incident. Son was neither there as his 'brotherly bro friend' when Bentancur was interviewed to receive the remark as a joke nor was Bentancur genuinely curious and having difficulty in identifying Son's from his cousin to have posed a question to the presenter. He simply remarked this so casually, AND to someone not Son, someone who isn't/shouldn't be close to Son to receive the comment on any of Son's capacity as a light-hearted comment Son could have (or not) laugh it off. It was rude. It was wrong. And his apologies could have been simple, but again, he spoke too much coming across still being defensive.

Let's be real. If the circumstance was reversed, and Son was actually answering to an interview and somehow remarked Udogie and Biss look the same, he will be in deep shit, no matter how the whole world perceives him to be the nicest guy in football who isn't/shouldn't/can't be racist to his brothers in the club. I am sure there will be even more voices calling him to be axed from the armband or even from the club. I wouldn't be any less disappointed in him than I am now with Bentancur.

It's a well documented phenomenon, "Other Race Effect" / "Own Race Bias". People are just not good at distinguishing individuals within ethnic groups that they haven't had much exposure to while growing up. Kelly et al (1) showed that by 9 months old, Caucasian infants were unable to discriminate faces within African, Middle Eastern or Chinese groups, but could discriminate Caucasian faces. I don't think anyone would call 9-month-olds "racist"; it's just a blind spot in the face-processing centres of our brain.

If someone says "I can't distinguish [insert racial group here] people from each other very well", they're just admitting their own face-processing weakness rather than criticising that race.

If someone says "all [insert racial group here] people look the same", they revealing both their own face-processing weakness and their ignorance of said weakness. Objectively, it's hard to see it as a criticism of the race in question. Would "all blonde Swedes look the same" be considered insulting for example?

Of course if the statement is intended as an insult to said race then it's racist by definition, albeit rather toothless and more reflective of the speaker's ignorance than anything else. In a mature society, statements would be met by a compassionate explanation of Other Race Effect. But we're currently living in a hyper-sensitised society and the Media are always keen to fan those flames.

It's f***ed up but I wouldn't be surprised if RB faced sanctions from both FA and Club. Again it's f***ed up but maybe that would be the best outcome for all.

1: Kelly DJ, Quinn PC, Slater AM, Lee K, Ge L, Pascalis O. The other-race effect develops during infancy: evidence of perceptual narrowing. Psychol Sci. 2007 Dec;18(12):1084-9.

I would struggle to tell many Koreans apart, they might say the same about westerners. Not sure this is necessarily racist? Maybe something about pattern recognition and the human brain.

You’re bang on there imo : it’s probably all about ” the human brain”
yours , mine and other people’s’.

It’s got a lot to answer for ; “ the human brain “ .

So we've established that individual races and cultures tend to think other races look similar each other. But for god's sake don't make a joke about it, even towards one of your best mates. All clear then. World full of cunts.

As a victim of racism myself the comment bentacour said is a very common thing people from all different parts of the world have said . It is not correct to say but there was no intent of hate behind his comment , this world we are in now are very quick to tear down and not forgive people, what he said was wrong with no hate or malice behind it forgive the guy jeez

So when Asian people cannot tell white people apart they are not racists?
I have lived in Asia and experienced several times being mistaken for another "white guy". But no, I did not feel it was racist when they explained they some time have trouble distinguish between some white people as to them we look "similar".
Have you ever been to Swaffham in Norfolk?

It's a well documented phenomenon, "Other Race Effect" / "Own Race Bias". People are just not good at distinguishing individuals within ethnic groups that they haven't had much exposure to while growing up. Kelly et al (1) showed that by 9 months old, Caucasian infants were unable to discriminate faces within African, Middle Eastern or Chinese groups, but could discriminate Caucasian faces. I don't think anyone would call 9-month-olds "racist"; it's just a blind spot in the face-processing centres of our brain.

If someone says "I can't distinguish [insert racial group here] people from each other very well", they're just admitting their own face-processing weakness rather than criticising that race.

If someone says "all [insert racial group here] people look the same", they revealing both their own face-processing weakness and their ignorance of said weakness. Objectively, it's hard to see it as a criticism of the race in question. Would "all blonde Swedes look the same" be considered insulting for example?

Of course if the statement is intended as an insult to said race then it's racist by definition, albeit rather toothless and more reflective of the speaker's ignorance than anything else. In a mature society, statements would be met by a compassionate explanation of Other Race Effect. But we're currently living in a hyper-sensitised society and the Media are always keen to fan those flames.

It's f***ed up but I wouldn't be surprised if RB faced sanctions from both FA and Club. Again it's f***ed up but maybe that would be the best outcome for all.

1: Kelly DJ, Quinn PC, Slater AM, Lee K, Ge L, Pascalis O. The other-race effect develops during infancy: evidence of perceptual narrowing. Psychol Sci. 2007 Dec;18(12):1084-9.
Or, we could just use common sense , instead of being hyped up by the woke interfering tribe that seems to be all around us now.

That had to be comedy sketch or a set up.

I mean, I know that I don't understand Americans but there aren't really people that think like that, surely?

I think this what they believe.

So. Yes. Yes there are.

But how many people live on this planet. A few have to be absolute fruit loops. Just a numbers game isn’t it.

Or maybe they are just decades ahead of the rest of us in their thinking. Who knows??

Back
Top Bottom