Rodrigo Bentancur

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Garth had too much class to react and probably in those times that kind of statement was the least of his concerns in terms of racism.

Indeed.

Tbh this clip is pretty encouraging in terms of showing how far we have come in terms of what is and isn't accepted.

It really did feel over the course of the 80s>00s that we'd come a long way; but it many people have since shown themselves to mourn the passing of casual, mainstream racism and other strains of bigotry.

It's a racist turn of phrase(*) as it casts black people as being a shitty/untoward/unwanted/conspicuous presence. That it wasn't aimed at Crooks doesn't change that..... (*That's before even contemplating the use of the word "n****r" within it)

Pretends not to understand this and then talks about "good faith".

So if Crooks had reacted (to which you don't know that he didn't when free of the pressure of being on camera on live TV)... You'd have said he just needed to "grow up"?

FFS
Yeah, I said bad language before, you obviously don't have reading skills

He brought this crap on himself genuinely shocked at how thick he must be.
He's a professional footballer!

i don't know idk GIF by Robert E Blackmon

I'd genuinely like to ask Garth if he did say something off air.
It wouldn't suprise me if he didn't........ Back then people were taught to 'take it on the chin' (even though they shouldn't have had to); especially if it meant not creating waves professionally.
The fact that he went on to have a career in the media, and specifically at the BBC, would strongly suggest he DIDN'T say anything at the time!

Garth had too much class to react and probably in those times that kind of statement was the least of his concerns in terms of racism.

Tbh this clip is pretty encouraging in terms of showing how far we have come in terms of what is and isn't accepted.

100%. Bananas being thrown at players. Monkey chants. That was the 80s.
So I don’t think a lot of people on here really understand what racism was like in the 80s and definitely not in the 50s and 60s.

If you look at it this way. That clip is from 1990. 34 years.

Go back 34 years from 1990 you are at 1956. My mum was being spat on in the streets of London for pushing her cousins in a pram around that time.

How many black professional footballers were there in England in 1956? Let alone commenting on games.

Absolutely different culture. Which Geoff hurst was raised in.

Society moves on. 34 years from now things will be much different again.

100%. Bananas being thrown at players. Monkey chants. That was the 80s.
So I don’t think a lot of people on here really understand what racism was like in the 80s and definitely not in the 50s and 60s.

If you look at it this way. That clip is from 1990. 34 years.

Go back 34 years from 1990 you are at 1956. My mum was being spat on in the streets of London for pushing her cousins in a pram around that time.

How many black professional footballers were there in England in 1956? Let alone commenting on games.

Absolutely different culture. Which Geoff hurst was raised in.

Society moves on. 34 years from now things will be much different again.

Yes mate.

It's easy to forget that and at times people want to feel connected or even own the struggles of previous generations, when in fact it was those struggles that led to the level of privilege they experience in their lives now. That isn't a statement about racism btw. I'm not here saying people don't experience racism anymore, just that life generally improes when you are prepared to live in the present and fight for it.

Yes mate.

It's easy to forget that and at times people want to feel connected or even own the struggles of previous generations, when in fact it was those struggles that led to the level of privilege they experience in their lives now. That isn't a statement about racism btw. I'm not here saying people don't experience racism anymore, just that life generally improes when you are prepared to live in the present and fight for it.

Was just looking on wiki about Garth.
Garth Crooks a black lad born in Stoke in 1958. Presenting coverage of Italia 90. On the BBC. Aged 32.
First black chairman of the PFA in 1988.
Now an OBE.

Who would have believed that could all happen the day he was born?

Bloody impressive. And I’m sure he knew the right to raise points about racism as he progressed his career and status.

Was just looking on wiki about Garth.
Garth Crooks a black lad born in Stoke in 1958. Presenting coverage of Italia 90. On the BBC. Aged 32.
First black chairman of the PFA in 1988.
Now an OBE.

Who would have believed that could all happen the day he was born?

Bloody impressive. And I’m sure he knew the right to raise points about racism as he progressed his career and status.

You can tell from the composure and class he had in just that clip that he was an extraordinary man.

Fucking bastard always slags us off now though :harrylol:

Back
Top Bottom