Rodrigo Bentancur

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Hojbjerg isnt the problem.

Play Bentancur with Winks and see how he does having to do 2 people's job.

Hjobjerg is a problem, he is just less of a problem than Winks, but he is nowhere near good enough if we want to be competing for a top 4 spot.

Yesterday was back pass, shit pass, back pass anytime he was under any sort of pressure and that was in a game against a shit opponent in which he supposedly played well.

Something we've missed for years. Harry, Poch etc, all said players needed a year or so to get used to the Prem. Other clubs would sign players though and they wouldn't have a problem.... baffling

Toby is the last one I can recall.......

Even Wanyama didn't quite 'fit' with Dier & Dembele to begin with.

He was my MoTM tonight, almost everything goes through him. Never admires a pass, shifts position immediately after passing so always open for a return. Still getting up to speed with the league but just love what he does. Helps the defence out too, as prepared to take the ball to feet under pressure. Without the ball positionally he's spot on and uses his body so well to get between ball and oppo. (Kulu also possibly MoTM too but went for Bentancur as he's quietly becoming our controller).

He reminds me of Pep Guardiola in his playing style and how he caresses the ball when he passes.

Watch the pass against Arse at 42 secs mark

That's exactly what he did for the winner against City. First-time ball out to Kulu, who got behind City defence then crossed to pick out Kane (did it literally 2mins before that too, in an almost identical move).

Conte ball is a highly orchestrated sequence of positional transitions interspersed with controlled periods without the ball, there's little room for improvisation, so if passes such as these are delivered then that's down to the work on the training pitch. Getting the runners to target the space when they feel it's the right time to attempt it. So, we'll only see such things if that's his role in the build-up.
It was a nice ball over the top into space against a team who play a high line - it wasn't a pinpoint, land it on a sixpence ball as we saw Kane do against Leeds the other week or at second 24 on the video below.

I like him, his composure especially, and he's got a good skill set, short passing good, mobile, physical, composed. Everton were terrible though and are in real danger of going down with their run in.

It was a nice ball over the top into space against a team who play a high line - it wasn't a pinpoint, land it on a sixpence ball as we saw Kane do against Leeds the other week or at second 24 on the video below.

I like him, his composure especially, and he's got a good skill set, short passing good, mobile, physical, composed. Everton were terrible though and are in real danger of going down with their run in.

The passing range is already on display IMO. Again, he has a very specific role with Conte (as each player does), highly orchestrated moves. Lots of resets in play, with the ball going back to him and CBs until the time is right to go forward, so if you don't see a certain specific from a certain player that doesn't mean they can't, it's because they haven't been instructed to do it.

I have seen a fair few occasions though where he was in a great position to shoot but decided to play it safe. I think he has enough ability to take a few more risks in his game, while still remaining an efficient player. Admittedly at the start of the season I only ever saw him as a spoiler really. Someone that can win the ball and then give it to someone who can do more with it. But he's already shown he is much more than that, and can and will get better.
He's by far our riskiest CM of the 4 we are using now. Followed by Skipp.

Bentancur will cost us a goal at some point and we will just have to deal with it. It's part of being a risky player that the benefits outweigh the risk.

I don’t love Skipp and Bentancur together especially if we are going for more than just 4th but I think that is a solid MF that makes us more competitive for 4th.
I'd love Bissouma for Hoijberge and ostensibly an attacking midfield player say
Szoboszlai, or Wirtz to come in alongside Skipp and Bentancur as our options. Then we could really compete with and without the ball.

Another thing that's not been said about him but something I really like is his pressing, it's obviously a Conte thing. He (and PEH + him vs City) come out from a very deep position to press the oppo DM or even CB (level with Kane), then drop back deep into position. (against City both he and PEH did this alternating throughout the match, more frequently in the first half).

Last edited:

AKA "Look Ma', No Midfield".

B25VQK7.png

Conte ball: Suck the oppo unto you, very prevalent in the bottom two pics but top two have us working overloads on both flanks..

Pass map for 1st half...........

FNR3nEVXIAM7azb
AKA the Empty Bucket.

"The difference between an empty bucket and a double pivot is where a team wants to create overloads. The double pivot makes it easier to overload the middle, as the wingers can tuck in and the second central attacker adds another body. The empty bucket allows for wide isolation and overloads a little easier because the wingers stay high and wide, and outside backs can overlap to join, or the forward on that side can slide over."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom