Rodrigo Bentancur

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Bentancur is way more mobile than PEH, and more size than Skipp. They are not all the same player. I'm not even gonna mention Winks, who would be far more at home in the bottom half of the Primera.

For some people Bentancur's major crime is that he is not French or came from Ligue 1 so for them he will never be good enough.

We’ve gone and paid £20 million to buy the exact same midfielder we’ve already got two of
Dont know why you're getting the disagrees on this. It is early days so i'd certainly add that caveat but from what we've seen so far i agree. Not really a holding midfielder, not a deep lying playmaker, not really creative. Looks another 'neat and tidy' albeit slightly better technically Winks or Hojbjerg. I guess that he looks better than those 2 is an improvement of sorts but not sure its what we needed. Again early days so perhaps there is more to come.

I could not disagree more. Both those guys had plenty of time to show us they were worth the obscene amount of money we paid for them and both flopped. No other word for it.
Bentacur probably cost us the points v United but at least he did not shirk. I'm still hopeful about him.
He can certainly make a killer pass.
More important than playing a killer pass (which might happen once a game), is that he consistently takes the ball under pressure and can change direction something which bottlejob PEH and meek Winks never do. He does that maybe 10/15 times a game so should be a big upturn in overall style of play

More important than playing a killer pass (which might happen once a game), is that he consistently takes the ball under pressure and can change direction something which bottlejob PEH and meek Winks never do. He does that maybe 10/15 times a game so should be a big upturn in overall style of play
Your obsession(s) has got the better of you again.

Your obsession(s) has got the better of you again.
He’s clearly far better at taking the ball under pressure and changing direction, surely you can see that’s one of PEH’s weaknesses? Eg he goes backwards, plays the way he’s facing, retreats etc. embrace the fact we have signed a better player

By the way, PEH was good Saturday. Best performance against a good side for a while. MOM from our side

Bentancur has a poor game and gets slated. The absolute nonsense of it.

Overall more than decent thus far and looks like a good squad addition.

Fcuk me, football supporters.

I'm more concerned about all of the sofa-bound Jose Mourinhos who are actively mocking conte's managerial decisions and haven't yet worked out that we could have any manager and we'd be in the same or a worse position.

Wait, whats your point?

He had really shit game on Sat... he gave away ball 4x in our half during first 20 minutes. Fred looked like Pirlo compared to him when he played him out of the game to pass ball to Ronaldo who received it in acres of space.
I think he deserves criticism for such performance. It would be beyond odd if people would come here to ode him after such a game.

That does not mean that he would be hopelessly bad player.
But honestly speaking - his performance in this game was shockingly poor.

Bentacaur has been brilliant for us clearly makes us better thought he was just a little bit eager against man u stepped up and left Ronaldo to shoot I cannot really slate him for that.

Overreaction to every performance.
After his first substitute’s appearance, he was Pirlo.
Now, after one poor(-ish) performance, he’s the South American Winks.
Supporters emotions are volatile.
Let’s see how he pans out for the rest of the season before judging. Based on the limited appearances so far, I’d say we got what we paid for.

Overreaction to every performance.
After his first substitute’s appearance, he was Pirlo.
Now, after one poor(-ish) performance, he’s the South American Winks.
Supporters emotions are volatile.
Let’s see how he pans out for the rest of the season before judging. Based on the limited appearances so far, I’d say we got what we paid for.
Correct.

I think they are the same player in terms of there should only be one of them in our starting 11 at the same time.

Whether a MF 2 or 3 if we want to be a top team then we can't have 2 of Skipp, Bentancur, PEH or Winks playing at the same time.

But you are right that Bentancur is better than all of them, bar Skipp.
I think we can craft a top 4 CM out of Bentancur and Skipp, but of course, I agree with you that I'd prefer to strengthen that position if possible. In my ideal world Skipp goes on to become a top Prem CM, Bentancur is pushed to 3rd choice by a Kessie-like signing, PEH becomes our 4th choice CM, and Winks wins the Copa del Rey with Betis or Espanyol.

Bentacaur has been brilliant for us clearly makes us better thought he was just a little bit eager against man u stepped up and left Ronaldo to shoot I cannot really slate him for that.

And there were 2 other goals he wasn't to blame for.

And it wasn't his fault Son kept falling over.

Nor was it his fault Doherty kept getting into good areas then passing the ball to Man U players.

And so on and so forth.

I think we can craft a top 4 CM out of Bentancur and Skipp, but of course, I agree with you that I'd prefer to strengthen that position if possible. In my ideal world Skipp goes on to become a top Prem CM, Bentancur is pushed to 3rd choice by a Kessie-like signing, PEH becomes our 4th choice CM, and Winks wins the Copa del Rey with Betis or Espanyol.
This would definitely be showing ambition. Whether it happens, we'll see this summer. I do think this is the last time Levy can pretend to be trying. If he won't invest in a badly gutted squad with Conté at the helm, he absolutely never will.

This would definitely be showing ambition. Whether it happens, we'll see this summer. I do think this is the last time Levy can pretend to be trying. If he won't invest in a badly gutted squad with Conté at the helm, he absolutely never will.

Agree- and Levy should know that he got a relative deal on Bentancur and Kulu- we should have paid at least 15m pounds more total for both if Juventus weren't absolutely desperate for funds to buy Vlahovic with, and actually wanted them. I just hope it makes Levy feel like hes got some extra funds in the bank. 80-100m spent right this summer is all it would take...

And if Levy doesn't show plan to show ambition to back Kane's stunning career this summer, he should just show some respect and sell him to someone that will. We can back Kane and Conte or embark on an ambitious rebuild, but we can't really do both. Going half-in one way or the other is the surest way to waste the time, money, career and reputations of everyone involved.

Back
Top Bottom