Rodrigo Bentancur

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think plenty of you are massively underrating Bentancur.

For me he is literally the perfect DM. Aggressive, reads the game well, classy on the ball and a very good passer.

He links play beautifully and I honestly love watching him play. He reminds me of Modric in many ways (but obviously not that good).

I don’t want to knock PEH, as he has been more than decent - but I think if we are upgrading in CM, it will be PEH who drops out. We would then have someone more progressive in there alongside Bentancur, with Skipp also involved in the rotation.

Stop it. They're not even remotely alike.

Pass left. Pass right. For those of you old enough Ray Wilkins was called the Crab for exactly that reason. For you guys to suddenly talk of Skippy being the Christian Eriksen of the current team is a complete joke. He is not a creative midfielder. He is a DM. He does not break a press.

im not sure if this is because the distance from when he last played makes all your hearts grow fonder. But he does a similar role to PEH.

Our team with PEH and Skipp at the base of midfield was unimaginative. When Bentancur came along it was like a breath of fresh air With someone playing with their head up looking to thread passes forward.

I don't see where Bentancur is more progressive than Hojbjerg is. While he might be more willing to dribble into space, he almost always passes sideways or backwards as soon as he is pressured. He has made some good passes forward, but no more (and I feel even less) than Hojbjerg since Bentancur was put in the starting eleven. While Hojbjerg's completion percentage on forward passes is probably worse than Bentancur's, he's had a lot of 30-40 yard attempts recently, where Bentancur rarely goes beyond 20.

I don't see where Bentancur is more progressive than Hojbjerg is. While he might be more willing to dribble into space, he almost always passes sideways or backwards as soon as he is pressured. He has made some good passes forward, but no more (and I feel even less) than Hojbjerg since Bentancur was put in the starting eleven. While Hojbjerg's completion percentage on forward passes is probably worse than Bentancur's, he's had a lot of 30-40 yard attempts recently, where Bentancur rarely goes beyond 20.
He was more progressive in earlier games but in the last couple he has been more cautious and you can bet your house that is under instruction from Conte.
He got an assist against the Goons and on Sunday I reckon we will see more passes forward.

I think plenty of you are massively underrating Bentancur.
For me he is literally the perfect DM. Aggressive, reads the game well, classy on the ball and a very good passer.
He links play beautifully and I honestly love watching him play. He reminds me of Modric in many ways (but obviously not that good).
I don’t want to knock PEH, as he has been more than decent - but I think if we are upgrading in CM, it will be PEH who drops out. We would then have someone more progressive in there alongside Bentancur, with Skipp also involved in the rotation.
I can see a word where, if Skippy comes back firing on all cylinders, and Bentancur continues his more than decent start, Conte may well alternate PEH & Skippy (in order to risk burn out/injury again like this season)
Skipp is a kid... I know Bentancur isn't that much older... but we really need to protect the Family Jewels...

PEH, Skipp, Bentancur + probably (hopefully) one CM signing (or unless Sarr comes back and hits the ground running) may well form our interchangeable midfield fulcrum, with the ability to perm any 2 from 4, given the opposition, circumstances, type of game-strategy etc.

We need options, and choice for our CM next season... not just stick with what's available, because the alternative (Winks) is too harrowing to even contemplate!

Personally, I think Winks will be on his way to somewhere like Palace, or Villa.
He's neat and tide (being generous) but I think he'd be a good fit at either of those.

I'd throw Everton in there too, but thinking about it, I doubt he could handle the intensity or demands of Evertonians if they get into another fine mess next season... they'd be worse than we would!)

I get what you mean now - but I think the downvotes were because of the "not our saviour" comment. If Bentancur hadn't come in we would be absolutely fucked without Skipp and I think we got very lucky considering they didn't know Skipp would be out for the length of time he has been. Yeah Skipp is definitely a defensive minded player but he can pick a pass! He's not Eriksen but if I had a choice of Skipp or Eriksen I'd choose Skipp all day.
Have you watched the last half dozen Brentford games?

I'd take him back in a heartbeat - especially if CL beckons.

HIs 2 assists today were Hoddlesque
His willingness to be a forward runner is really helpful for us as of late. With our back 3 and Hojbjerg able to pass long over the top we don't necessarily need more long passers. Bentancur has great mobility and range and his size and skill perhaps makes him ideal for this role. He looked very good doing it today.

Back
Top Bottom