Ryan Mason

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Had no issue with the starting players or tactics. They are better than us and it was to keep in the game which worked.

Issue is from 60-70 mins we should have unleashed Bale for Son and Ndombele for Winks as the City press was tiring compared to their first half. Instead we get Sissoko and Dele and you just knew that was it no chance. Horrible to say but it almost felt like Mason was playing his mates at that point.

That's actually what I thought Mason was going to do, and perhaps Bale in for Lucas (though I agree Sonny should have been the one to come off as he was just not at the races on the day). Unless Tanguy had an injury, that single juke and/or pass that could have helped us with a smash and grab would likely have come from him.

We should have had Lo Celso and Ndombele on as they can play through a press and brought Bale on because he can score out of nothing. Mason shot himself in the foot after getting the first bit right.

-
Yeah for sure. The manager can’t never be one of the lads. And he is. I bet Lloris and Kane are calling the shots. Ryan is just a puppe
Out of his depth at this stage of his managerial career today but rather him in defeat than a glpatung but useless Mourinho in victory.
Annnd this is why we never win anything folks. Ryan probably shared your sentiment and threw the final.

It’s not good enough and we deserve better.

I can see his logic for certain choices, not that I agree with them

Winks over Ndombele because he wanted someone to hold his position, Bale and Sissoko on because Bale does offer alot defensively, this is im sure HIS logic, almost worked but Sissoko can't track his runners

We had momenta but thats all they were

Ndombele not coming on at all is a mystery but the fact he's just lost 1-0 to Pep and his Oil team doesn't make him out of his depth considering many thought it would be a comfortable 3-4 nil win for City

Even worse when you try to explain it. Better he just says I threw the final cos we’re bigger than it or some rubbish rather than come out making himself look even more foolish.

Bale ok because Bale does offer a lot defensively?? The same Bale I know or Christian Bale the defender of Gotham? :pochshock:

He's had less than a week to prepare for a final.

He's been a manager/coach of a PL team for less than a week.

What did you expect him to do today?
1. Not play Winks (at least not for 90 mins)
2. Not play Sissoko.
3. Play Ndombele for at least 20 mins (see 1.)
4. Not take off Lucas when he seemed to be having a good game.

That's just off the top of my head. Seems I'm not alone thinking these choices were highly suspect. 4 is arguable, but the other's are past the point of rational, judging by the overwhelming majority of opinions on this forum.

Only way this makes any sense to me is if he knew there was no way to win (no daring, no doing) and decided to limit the damage.

Note: I don't hate Winks, I like the lad, but he just isn't good enough to win games. Maybe with a consistent run of games in a formation/tactics that suited him he could be, but surely that's been tried?

It could have been 5-0.. fortunatelyit turned out only to be 1-0.

The noises coming from Hugo, who's been the most vocal member of the club of late, spout there is more to Ryan than suggested by some above.

We don't have the luxury of behind closed doors access, yet I was confident there was a different dynamic on the training ground and that would be the trend until the end of the season.

Ryan will want to be marching us in for the rest of the season as well as anyone.

Too many unknowns to call what will happen to us at the end of the season though.

Could be 5 wins.. could be 1.

Get behind him with some fan pride for the last games though come on, ffs

Nothing against Mason. But he has coached two “elite level” games more than everyone else on this forum.

The fact that he was in charge for a “major” cup final simply spits in the face of everyone of us and trashes our history.

100% more credibility in appointing a care taker until end of the season with 100’s of games on their CV.

Might as well say “coaching is not important” by mugging off the profession by putting a completely inexperienced guy in the hot seat, that’s what’s happened.

However decent a chap he is, he does not have anything on his CV to suggest he “deserves” anything and even less to say he has “earned” anything.

It would have made more football sense and achieve the same PR to put Rehanne Skinner in there until end of the season.

We all want Mason to do well, but by Christ let’s not lose sight of the fact we have been had here by Levy. It’s so cynical.

Imagine saying you've hardly been sleeping 'cause you've been thinking so hard about an upcoming final - that's so important to the club - then starting Winks and keeping him on for the full 90+ mins.

I just can't get over it.

Rookie manager did rookie mistakes
I think that's giving him too much credit. The vast majority of this forum could have told you they were mistakes. It's not rookie, it's something else. Nepotism? Trying not to be Mourinho? Trusting stats over eyeballing?

I'm still really confused.

Did he somehow just forget that Sissoko is a massive pile of shit?
Did he not notice that Lucas was one of few players who were busting a gut to win? And one of even fewer who took on and beat the oppo?

Even worse when you try to explain it. Better he just says I threw the final cos we’re bigger than it or some rubbish rather than come out making himself look even more foolish.

Bale ok because Bale does offer a lot defensively?? The same Bale I know or Christian Bale the defender of Gotham? :pochshock:
:adegrin2:

Brilliant. My thoughts exactly. What planet is he on? Is he talking about the implicit defence of them fearing him and holding back a little? that's the only thing I can think of, because otherwise the man is a fucking moron.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom