Ryan Mason

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Ryan Mason has been named Man of the Match by fans after his goalscoring display against Fiorentina in the Europa League on Thursday.
fior_h_motm_730x500.jpg

The midfielder who captained the team in the first leg in Florence played a key role in the second leg by providing a clinical finish to open the scoring in the first half.

That edged us ahead 2-1 on aggregate before Erik Lamela and an own goal saw us home 3-0 on the night and 4-1 on aggregate against a team currently third in Serie A. We now progress to the last 16.

Ryan just pipped Erik and Dele Alli, polling 30.54% of almost 15,000 votes on Facebook, Twitter and the Match Centre. Dele was just behind on 30.29% and Erik polled 27.94%.

MAN OF THE MATCH RESULT - FIORENTINA SECOND LEG

Ryan Mason - 30.54%

Dele Alli - 30.29%

Erik Lamela - 27.94%

Kieran Trippier - 11.23%

The thing that frustrates me is that some of us have been banging on for ages that Mason has always been an AM, but some people here show no interest in listening to that and prefer to judge him solely on months of being played out of position as a DM.

I think the nearest comparison for me would be Lampard, although that is only an approximation, and of course I wouldn't expect him to reach those heights....how many ever did...

I'm also mindful of how he got his current injury - bravely scoring the winner against Sunderland away.

I feel that Carroll who is also an AM, has the same sort of potential, though he needs to toughen up his character and gain more confidence.

I would 100% happily play these two in the 3 behind Kane, if we ever needed to do that...rather than in the back two a la dier/dembele.

I don't rate Mason - do you have a problem with that? Is your best response 'fuck off' lately to anyone who shares a different opinion to yours? Are you 11? Are we meant to rate all our players? Do you think Mason is world-class?
I don't care that you don't rate Mason, but I think it's crazy to throw around conspiracy theories about Poch's line-ups being decided by Levy.
My comment implied that Mason definitely isn't world class, should've known you wouldn't have picked up on that

He was my Man of the Match. He is the only midfielder we have who makes those runs into the box from deep. He offers something very different from Dembele, but just as useful.
I see him similar to Dembele in his wanting to move forward. But one thing is for sure is both are extremely different than Bentaleb.

I fucking love Mason. He is basically the embodiment of what we are going for at Spurs under Poch. He is an absolute warrior for a guy with a small frame, he breaks up play, can spray passes and link play from deep and he has a great understanding of making runs into the box. All effort, all character - can't ask for much more.

Great timing for him to come back in and get some confidence with a goal with Dembo out. Can't wait to see him vs the Arse as he will be well up for it.

My criticism of Mason has always been based on his lack of defensive brain and awareness when in the DM role, I haven't seen him play at AM but I trust the judgement of some who have. It was noticeable last night that he was covering, for example Davies when he went forward. Maybe he has been coached and is working on this, maybe he was well-drilled by Toby, Dier and Wimmer. Either way, it was a marked improvement and if he can continue adding to that aspect of his game then he might turn into a much more useful squad member. But I still never want to see him paired with Bentaleb again.

I have never doubted his commitment and passion, which I love.

Well that's what frustrates me. People keep telling y'all that he's an AM and u criticise his defensive qualities rather than accept that he (and Carroll ) are being played out of their best positions.

He even got in the England team being played out of position

Doesn't rate Mason, but he rated Paulinho...
I rated every new signing during that season and wanted them to come good - I guess that makes me a cunt, hey..

As opposed to know-it-all cock-sockets like yourself who love to come back and tell people 'I told you so' afterwards while hoping one of our own fails Do jog on

Last edited:
His more natural position is in the 10 role, he also hit double figures when playing in the reserves a few seasons back. He got a bad injury which slowed his progress. WindyCOYS WindyCOYS could tell you more.

I wrote this a few years ago, perhaps worth a read: Ryan Mason: Spurs’ prospect, and his non-start in Lorient

FWIW I've been saying for a while I'd quite like to see Mason as a striker rather than Chadli. The only thing is that in doing so you'd lose his runs from deep.

I'll take it on a little from Windy's valuable article.

Being from Swindon I had the immense pleasure of getting to see a whole string of thfc lads as u will no doubt know (and Obika is still here and doing a fine job).

Mason was just great to watch. A hat-trick in one match, etc etc, but then injured at Xmas and that was it until Poch brought him back in ( I can't recall if Tim did so ). Based on his vision upfront and coolness of execution I can see your point of having him as second striker, or even in the hole.

I think his keenness to play anywhere for Spurs worked against him a bit. Likewise my suspicions that Poch doesn't have much of a clue about finding ways to create goals means that he may not fully appreciate what Ryan can bring to the team in the final third. (This applies to Carroll to some extent also).

Still time for both of them to show what they can do upfront, and thus get Poch to move them into more forward positions.

Mason is a quality player; looking in from a neutral perspective I don't understand how a few of you still don't rate him.

Identity is fundamental in football; firstly the club's own identity, but also a nationalistic one. Bayern, Barcelona, Juventus and United have all established and sustained dynasties by embracing those principles, and Spurs have laid the foundations for their own era of sustainable success under Pocchettino's guidance so far in his tenure.

Players like Mason project that identity, and while he may never attain world-class status as an individual (although with further exposure to elite-level competition such as the CL and International football he could become very good) their presence and contribution can/will be more important than a 'world-class' foreign player.

The likes of Phil Neville, Brown, Fletcher, Cleverley and O'Shea all levelled out as good midtable performers post-United, but their contributions in red were essential as part of the Ferguson era.

I'd also argue that Guardiola's success at Barca was more about identity purely his tactics, hence him being unable to replicate the success at Bayern and arguably take them backwards by diluting that German identity Heynckes team that he inherited had by importing a raft of Spaniards/foreign players. That's also why I think he'll be exposed here at City, a Arab-owned club that's become a Hispanic colony in the past 4 years.

Yep that's pretty cool way of looking at it. This new 21st century money-mad criterion of 'world class ' is a pretty fucked up way of viewing things if u ask me.

I do think he's better than any of those you've named though...

Back
Top Bottom