Scottish football

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Harsh reality check for Scottish football this week. In the Conference League qualifiers, Hibernian were humiliated 5-0 by Villa who barely got out of 1st gear; Hearts lost 3-1 at home to PAOK. Aberdeen bucked the trend with a credible 2-2 draw at the Swedish champions… not that I’ve ever heard of BK Hacken before (sounds like a branch of a certain fast food restaurant).

Harsh reality check for Scottish football this week. In the Conference League qualifiers, Hibernian were humiliated 5-0 by Villa who barely got out of 1st gear; Hearts lost 3-1 at home to PAOK. Aberdeen bucked the trend with a credible 2-2 draw at the Swedish champions… not that I’ve ever heard of BK Hacken before (sounds like a branch of a certain fast food restaurant).
I’m not sure it was a reality check. Scottish clubs know the arena they are playing in and Hibs being beaten by a team that has 150 times their revenue wasn’t much of a shock. Villa pay most of their players more than Hibs make in a year (about £3.5m p.a.). Villa have spent around £200m in the past couple of seasons and Hibs have spent less than £1m.

None of what’s happened has been a surprise, a humiliation or a reality check. Just the way things are in such an uneven playing field. If anything was a surprise, it was Aberdeen and Rangers doing ok.

I’m not sure it was a reality check. Scottish clubs know the arena they are playing in and Hibs being beaten by a team that has 150 times their revenue wasn’t much of a shock. Villa pay most of their players more than Hibs make in a year (about £3.5m p.a.). Villa have spent around £200m in the past couple of seasons and Hibs have spent less than £1m.

None of what’s happened has been a surprise, a humiliation or a reality check. Just the way things are in such an uneven playing field. If anything was a surprise, it was Aberdeen and Rangers doing ok.
Totally agree. I was at Easter road on Wednesday and villa barely broke a sweat. Hibs are shocking at the moment and need a new manager but there is a massive gulf. The other games were even and about our level.

I think both H&H would have hoped for better - Hibs to not be beaten quite so easily and comprehensively, and Hearts to win or draw.

Totally agree. I was at Easter road on Wednesday and villa barely broke a sweat. Hibs are shocking at the moment and need a new manager but there is a massive gulf. The other games were even and about our level.
Out of interest, what was the atmosphere and expectation like before the game? It looked pretty full on TV.

Out of interest, what was the atmosphere and expectation like before the game? It looked pretty full on TV.
Atmosphere was decent but the kick off time and a fuck up by the ticket office meant it wasn’t full. Nobody was expecting anything but a defeat, but it was an absolute pounding. I saw us take hearts apart 5-0 a decade ago which was more impressive. The Scottish game was bad then but it’s fallen further behind now.

I think both H&H would have hoped for better - Hibs to not be beaten quite so easily and comprehensively, and Hearts to win or draw.
Nah man, there’s a huge gap between the countries sides now. Villa’s reserves would beat Hibs no problem. I’m actually surprised it was only 5-0 to be honest.

There’s always the old argument about how well the Bigot Brothers would get on in England. 20 years ago, comfortably premier league level. Now? The odd decent euro run for them aside, they’d be Championship at best.

Following on from a dreadful set of European results, the week ends with one of the worst Old Firm matches I’ve ever seen. A decent goal to win it but very little quality in either side. Lack of away fans harms the atmosphere too - the vitriolic cauldron, with either side going at each other something chronic, used to be part of the attraction. Early doors but Scottish football seems to have gone backwards in the past 2 years.

Following on from a dreadful set of European results, the week ends with one of the worst Old Firm matches I’ve ever seen. A decent goal to win it but very little quality in either side. Lack of away fans harms the atmosphere too - the vitriolic cauldron, with either side going at each other something chronic, used to be part of the attraction. Early doors but Scottish football seems to have gone backwards in the past 2 years.
It’s dreadful the old firm game is hyped up to something special and it’s not! as for No away fans Celtic we’re offered but refused…..Aberdeen lost today at home to Hibernian who were routed by Villa and that, apparently are challenging the old firm?

It’s dreadful the old firm game is hyped up to something special and it’s not! as for No away fans Celtic we’re offered but refused…..Aberdeen lost today at home to Hibernian who were routed by Villa and that, apparently are challenging the old firm?

Celtic were offered under 1,000 and declined but it’s Rangers who’ve restricted availability. A few years’ back, when you had 8-9k away fans, the atmosphere was genuinely special. Shock win for Hibs today. I thought Aberdeen could be decent this year.

Celtic were offered under 1,000 and declined but it’s Rangers who’ve restricted availability. A few years’ back, when you had 8-9k away fans, the atmosphere was genuinely special. Shock win for Hibs today. I thought Aberdeen could be decent this year.
Aberdeen played midweek in Europe they’ll suffer come weekend I know Hibs played as well but they were already out…..teams like Aberdeen, Hearts etc can’t sustain form playing in Europe midweek then competing at the weekend Celtic & Rangers have the squads to it other teams don’t…..the monopoly of the Glasgow teams will go on for the foreseeable in Scotland

I hear some Rangers and Celtic fans on the radio and telly saying the atmosphere is still great at OF games, no matter that there are no away fans, and that they're also happy that there are no opposition fans infesting (my word, admittedly) their stadium. Well, the atmosphere at the Nuremberg Rallies was probably quite high octane too but somewhat imbalanced, I would suggest.

Very petty for one club (irrespective of which one) to not take up an allocation, albeit limited compared the the 7.5k or so that used to be given by both sides but I think that sums the levels of childishness on show, with a significant percentage of both sets of supporters living in Dark Ages bigotry.

Saying on Talkshite that Lampard will be given the job

Quite a few Rangers fans calling and not happy!

Maybe Potter will throw his hat in?
Posted on here a month ago that Potter had been interviewed. Feeling up here is he’s not keen and neither are Rangers. So assuming the interview didn’t go that well.

Posted on here a month ago that Potter had been interviewed. Feeling up here is he’s not keen and neither are Rangers. So assuming the interview didn’t go that well.

Righto

I never saw that post

Goldstein reckoned that the Rangers job would be a good gig for both Potter and The Gers

Nobody wants Frank atm and maybe he should have stayed at Derby a while longer learning his trade

One of his first signings could be Ndombelly and they could go on a gourmet tour together?

Back
Top Bottom