Sheffield United v Tottenham Hotspur - July 2nd - 6pm(UK)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Sheffield United haven't been great recently but is it a must win game?

Yes, it will keep our very, VERY faint hopes of Champions League qualification alive but it's far more likely that we'll be playing in the Europa League and do we really want that?
I was dead against the Europa League a few weeks ago, which shows how far the club has come and maybe how snobby/spoilt myself and others have become.

My thinking now is if Troy gets a run of games much like a young Kane did and other youngsters I’m all for it.

I really don't understand why people are turning their noses up at the Europa League. What are you ditching it for? To finish in the top 4 next season? The same prize you get for winning the Europa League? Win an FA Cup, which gets us back into the Europa League?

If we aren't going to get Champions League then I 100% want to be in the Europa League.

Who are we to be picky on what competitions which should be aiming to win, we haven't won anything in over a decade!

Yes, it will keep our very, VERY faint hopes of Champions League qualification alive but it's far more likely that we'll be playing in the Europa League and do we really want that?

Yes we do.

I really don't understand why people are turning their noses up at the Europa League. What are you ditching it for? To finish in the top 4 next season? The same prize you get for winning the Europa League? Win an FA Cup, which gets us back into the Europa League?

If we aren't going to get Champions League then I 100% want to be in the Europa League.

Who are we to be picky on what competitions which should be aiming to win, we haven't won anything in over a decade!

Europa League means cheap mid week games for non season ticket holders.

Of course we should want EL.

The EL gives us a prime opportunity to rebuild our squad and allow us to give valuable play time to bench players and youngsters, who can use that to grow and show that they can also be relied upon in the league. The price money may not be near what you get in the CL but it is a trophy that has CL participation as part of winning it as well.

Chavs, Woolwich and United have all utilized the EL to bed in youngsters and squad players. As did Poch when he got here. It's also a trophy that I could see Jose delivering.

We need EL next season because it would be a vital part of our rebuild.

tumblr_on3pitShzX1um2igbo2_r1_400.gifv

interesting...........

we drew 2-2 away at Olympiakos
we lost 3-0 to Brigton..

are they the only to instances we've worn it?

No doubt mate. We obviously all want CL, but I would be ecstatic if we won the Europa league next season. A European trophy in our name, get the monkey off our back and CL qualification the season after, regardless of our league finish. Europa league all the way.

I’ve had some of my best nights at the Lane at europa league games to be fair, dunno if it’s because it’s a Thursday night so everyone gets right on it, but atmosphere is always great

if we miss champions league then absolutely we need to be in the Europa

We won't win the Europa League, there are some very good teams in it and we won't get past them.

There are far too many matches and it only gets exciting in the latter stages by which time we'll be out of it anyway.

I don't want us to win the FA Cup so we can then qualify for the Europa League.
I want us to win the FA Cup so we can have a trophy at last.

Not being in Europe next season could well be a blessing.

Leicester 2016 - no European football - they won the Premier League.

Chelsea 2017 - no European football - they won the Premier League.

Next season, the year ends in 1,

This could be our chance to end 60 years of hurt!!

C'mon guys, let's be positive!!

:tobyarm:

We won't win the Europa League, there are some very good teams in it and we won't get past them.

There are far too many matches and it only gets exciting in the latter stages by which time we'll be out of it anyway.

*lists all of the reasons why we can’t win the Europa league

*asks us to be positive

🤦‍♂️

Yeah unlike the Champions league where we got past some pretty decent teams to get to the final..

I always thought that scrapping the Cup Winner’s Cup was a mistake.

Getting rid of it didn’t make sense to me - it was more prestigious than the UEFA Cup.

It meant that there were now two European competitions, the one everybody cared about and the lesser competition that was devalued further by the increasing gulf between it and the Champions League.

Everything UEFA did to try to increase the prestige of the competition had the opposite effect:
  • Allowing Champions League rejects to join the competition at a later stage
  • Changing the name to the Europa League
  • The winners qualifying for the Champions League
One of the most appealing things about the Europa League now is that if you win it then you don’t have to participate in it the following season!!

Yes, it would be nice if we won it but not as nice as winning it before it was devalued.

I’d like to see us qualify for it if I thought we had a genuine chance of winning it but I don’t think we do.

Also there are too many Thursday matches and it will have a detrimental effect on our performance in the league.

It’s not like the Champions League where there is excitement and a lot of revenue from a decent run in the competition.

With the Europa League, it’s not the taking part, it’s the winning that counts and we won’t win it.

Yeah unlike the Champions league where we got past some pretty decent teams to get to the final..

And how likely is it that it will happen again any time soon?

We rode our luck (progressing from the group stage, the quarter-final and the semi-final all by away goals) and got to the Final which was fantastic but let's be realistic - it papered over the cracks of a squad in decline and our performance in the Champions League this season is far more reflective of where we really are.

Spurs fans "We have to win a cup no trophies since 2008 is DISGUSTING!!!"

"What about Europa?"

Spurs fans "ugh no not that cup"

:mourcheeks:

Spurs fans "We have to win a cup no trophies since 2008 is DISGUSTING!!!"

"What about Europa?"

Spurs fans "ugh no not that cup"

:mourcheeks:

It would be great to win it but there's one slight issue...

We won't win it.

And the number of matches will have a detrimental effect on our performance in the other competitions.

It would be great to win it but there's one slight issue...

We won't win it.

And the number of matches will have a detrimental effect on our performance in the other competitions.
Why wouldn’t we win it? Mourinho won it a couple of years ago with arguably a worse squad than ours

What powerhouses do we need to be aware of?

Back
Top Bottom