Sheffield United v Tottenham Hotspur - July 2nd - 6pm(UK)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He pretty much said the players gave up after the call.

Then he and his players should apologize to the fans. Yes it's a fucking scandalous decision but it's only 1-0 and if we turn up we can quite easily score at least one goal. Then it's anyone's gsme, more likely us if we defend properly. Do not accept this "we gave up" bollocks. That's even more scandalous then the VAR decision

In terms of intentions I think we've played a hell of a lot worse than that, I can't fault the general effort for the most part, but as well as our own failings, we definitely din't get the rub. We were well on top and looking the more likely to score when they scored, then we score and get it it ridiculously ruled out. I'm not moaning about VAR, it's the law that's utter garbage, and in this case a completely incorrect application of it (from what I understand as Moura was falling). But we then plug away, keep at it and are again well on top when we concede another really poor goal.

That second goal is an absolute kick in the nuts. At that point we'd put a fuck of a lot of huffing and puffing into it, put in plenty of effort, were having something like 70% of the ball, but a combination of only having one footballer in midfield, our creative ineptitude and their obduracy made it tough. When that second goal goes in we all knew the gig was up.

The first goal I've watched again and at first I thought it was Son and Lo Celso, but actually I'm not sure you can single out anyone, if anyone else has got a take on this I'll listen. If anything I think the fuck up starts when Berge is allowed to receive the ball in acres of space, with the overlap also in acres of space, I think the forward players needed to drop with the rest of the team to close the huge gaps between lines. Davies was left isolated and is a bit flat footed and fails to prevent the run/cross.

The second one Sissoko is a fucking disgrace. If you stop the game clock at 67.52 he is just idling back into picture despite them having possession and looking to counter, this is our "DM". 67.57 he's now level with Osbourne, but instead of running with him, he just gives him a little tug of the shirt and the just stands there and lets him go free into the box and get on the ball, so Sanchez has to come out to him, meanwhile Sissoko is still just standing still not even watching as Stevens gets the run on Aurier - which was also piss poor from Aurier - and again is like a turtle in a fucking windsock as Stevens now has an easy run through and sets up the goal. If Sissoko just does the right thing - and he gets two bites at it, he can prevent the clusterfuck.

Dier maybe could have taken a pace toward Lloris, same Davies, but if you look, there are also two guys behind them waiting for the cut back, so I think both were caught in two minds. But again there were lots of bodies not busting a gut to get back and help defend.

I thought the first sub off should have been Son, who was offering absolutely fuck all with or without the ball. I would have brought on Ndombele (who played the games only incisive pass when he came on) not Lamela, we needed someone who can make a vertical, incisive pass as we'd failed to create a single tangible thing, Lamela as ever just wanted to take 17 touches too many.

I am not a fan of the human pin ball that is Moura, but I actually thought he was probably our most lively attacking player tonight and he did actually work quite hard off the ball.

The trouble is, none of Son, Moura or Bergwijn are craftsmen, they are all more direct types who want to run at legs.

Ndombele looked decent when he came on, looked to get on the ball (only made 15 less passes than Sissoko in 50 minutes less).

We've got to switch out of this fucking 4231, we do not have the midfielders to make it work, it's been obvious for 2 years. If you are going to play a front 4 they have to work harder and smarter without the ball than ours do.

And Mourinho has got to wise up to the mistakes that got Pochettino the sack, like playing athletes instead of footballers in midfield. The Sissoko joke has to stop, it's not been funny for a long time. Get Skipp in their for the rest of the season now, and get Ndombele and Lo Celso either side of him, move to a 433.

Last edited:
I don't think you were trying to be funny but I was in bits after reading this. I don't even know why. I think it's just that you came up with the perfect mathematician's answer to football.

I mean, you're not even wrong. I don't know how to respond. Most people would say that a striker who scored 4 goals in a game (hypothetically) was doing a fantastic job regardless of anything else they did in the game. And your response is that he was only good for those 4 seconds that he spent kicking the ball into the net.

Amazing stuff! (Even more amazing when you consider that Kane was the only player to get a shot on target as far as I can remember)
You can score and play shit.
Eriksen lived off it for three seasons

If we play like that again against Everton at home I just wish someone at the stadium has a recording of supporters booing for the applicable 'atmospherics' when we're watching on TV.
I had such high hopes for tonight and instead of them just being dashed they were absolutely shattered to smithereens by what I can only describe as a turgid, gutless performance.

To have the manager say "After that moment it was Game Over" concerning the disallowed goal, which happened just after 30 minutes into the game, because "The team were not mentally strong enough" is a very sad indictment on all of his players.

Last night we were discussing the chances of a Top 6 finish. Tonight we languish in 9th spot level on points with fucking Burnley and a point behind you know who. Lose to Everton and we may well finish outside top six for the first time in eleven years.

Let's just hope between now and Monday the current 'mental attitude' is given a right bollocking.

I never said Levy so who cares if he picks the team or not.

i listed things that have hurt the club more than the Mourinho hire and poor signings and poor squad decisions have hurt this club a lot more than hiring Mourinho.

So keep crying and whining all you want as i said before it doesn't change how wrong you are.
Don't argue with Airfix, she is Always right!,

I posted earlier today that I hoped Spurs had it in them to go for top 4 or 5 but a few more performances like that and it will be a bottom half finish.
Hate to say it, but tonight Spurs looked like Man United in Mourinho’s last days.
A disorganised shambles that looked leaden and vulnerable, anything but a team.
The VAR incident was a tough break but to lose to such an average team by two goals in a game that could have been a springboard to better things was pathetic.

At this rate not even the West Ham rejects will want to join us !

We need Rice more than any other player.
We could also do with Doucoure from Watford.
And maybe Wilson from Bmouth.
Then we would have 3 players who are used to fighting relegation!

You can score and play shit.
Eriksen lived off it for three seasons

Thank fuck our recruitment's gone to shit, I'd fucking hate to find another player for 12 mil that lives off 20+ goals/assists a season, averages 50 passes a game, presses and tackles better than our fucking donkey DM, plays about 5 positions, and does it for 5 years straight and for 20k a week less than the donkey.

Fuck that shit, eh Sammy...

Back
Top Bottom