Should we sacrifice the PL for Europa League?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Should we sacrifice the PL for Europa League?

• Yes

Votes: 37 55.2%
  • No

Votes: 30 44.8%

• Total voters
Have you watched any of Utd, Leicester and Milan? what's your point?

On the day we can be as good or better than anyone ... or do you not think so?
It's not just one day though is it , your talking like we are already in the final

I don't have any faith in this team in it's current state or the Manager sadly

We have reached the R16 of the Europa League, with a maximum of 4 more ties, and thus 7 matches, potentially left to play.

There are some tough teams left such as Manchester United, Leicester, AC Milan etc.

Given it's very unlikely we will finish top 4, I think it would make sense to prioritise trying to win Europa when we are still in the competition. This would entail, in my opinion, resting Son, Kane, Ndombele, Reguilon, Hojbjerg for certain PL games.

I have picked out some key fixtures in a potential run-in if we reach EL final:

7th March: Crystal Palace
11th March: EL R16 1st leg
14th March: Woolwich
18th March: EL R16 2nd leg
21st March: Aston Villa
------------------------------------

3rd April: Newcastle
8th April: EL QF 1st leg
11th April: Manchester United
15th April: EL QF 2nd leg
18th April: Everton
21st April: Southampton (TBC, likely if MC beat Everton in FA Cup QF)
25th April: EFL Final vs Man City
29th April: EL SF 1st leg
1st May: Sheffield
6th May: EL SF 2nd leg
9th May: Wolves
------------------------------------

23rd May: Leicester
26th May: EL Final
-----------------------------------

In my opinion, in the unlikely event we progress to the final, I would consider resting key players vs:
Crystal Palace, Newcastle, Southampton, Sheffield, Leicester
How da fuck is the final 3 days after the end of the season?

No.

You shouldn't put all your eggs into the EL basket as if we get knocked out we need something to fall back on.

Also today that squad was basically a completly different 11 to the one that we see in the Premier league - the best XI . With Aurier and Lo Celso to add to that to. We've actually got very squad depth and I believe we can rotate some positions in the Europa league / Premier league but still have a very strong team.

We have Zero chance of winning the Europa league
tenor.gif

Do you mean , concede not winning the league ? Forfeiting every other game in the league to concentrate on the Intertoto cup?
We’ll play every game to win it & that’s about it
I explained what I meant in OP, and in another comment.

Of course we should try to win every game, but I was hoping we could rotate as such for 5 games I highlighted in OP:

This is where I disagree. Our core players are the ones who could get tired.
Rest Kane, Son, Ndombele, Hojbjerg, Reguilon in games close to EL fixtures for Vinicius, Alli, Winks, Sissoko, Davies

We should focus on the PL and EL. There's a big squad there and only GLC is injured. We can easily focus on both and it's a bit feeble to give up on the league in February.

If we don't win the EL then top 6 should be a target as the added revenue from EL qualification does help.

I think the next 3/4 games in the EPL will make the decision for us. If we can’t string together a couple of wins right away (and the next 3 historically should be very winnable) then we could find ourselves 10+ points off top 4 with 10 teams vying for 3 top 4 places. After the Woolwich game, there will only be 30 points to play for and it could be bordering on impossible to make top 4. We could be all in on Europa whether we want to or not

If we concede 6th and we don't win the EL then we would be screwed money wise wouldn't we? Seems a big risk to me. Especially if Jose gets the sack and we are trying to get a new manager and new players without any European football.

I honestly think if Bale stays fit and Kane and Son can find some of the early season form
Then we are winning the EL!

The draw is more important that anything, as we saw with the other Cups we were in this year.

If we get any two of Milan, Leicester, United, Napoli, Roma, Villareal, Lille we will be in real trouble, if the worse happens and we get 3 of them we are screwed.

However, if we can get can get the winner of Krasnodor-Zagreb and then hope two other weak teams get matched in the next round and get that winner in the QF's and then hope that someone like Woolwich or Rangers fluke their way to the SF and we get them, then all we have is a one off against a tough team. That is the path for victory for us, it worked in the League Cup we need to hope we can pull it off again here, because having to win this Cup by beating good teams is very unlikely to happen.

Back
Top Bottom