Should we sacrifice the PL for Europa League?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Should we sacrifice the PL for Europa League?

• Yes

Votes: 37 55.2%
  • No

Votes: 30 44.8%

• Total voters
The draw is more important that anything, as we saw with the other Cups we were in this year.

If we get any two of Milan, Leicester, United, Napoli, Roma, Villareal, Lille we will be in real trouble, if the worse happens and we get 3 of them we are screwed.

However, if we can get can get the winner of Krasnodor-Zagreb and then hope two other weak teams get matched in the next round and get that winner in the QF's and then hope that someone like Woolwich or Rangers fluke their way to the SF and we get them, then all we have is a one off against a tough team. That is the path for victory for us, it worked in the League Cup we need to hope we can pull it off again here, because having to win this Cup by beating good teams is very unlikely to happen.
I am more than happy for the easiest draw all the way to the final !

Think we have a decent chance at Europa either way. We"ll need to keep fielding a strong team in PL to compete for Europa places, you can't chance everything on winning a final.

United, Leicester, Milan all good sides but not exactly unbeatable. Now, we've been horrendous against any half decent side (except for Leeds) since the beginning of December, so something is going to have to change.

Even as 2nd favorite, there are 16+ teams left so Our odds are 7-1 (roughly 14% chance). I’d guess that’s close to our top 4 odds. That’s purely just considering CL qualification. We will need 7th or possibly 6th in the league to get Europe next year. I wouldn’t rely on the league cup final.

Also, those 7/1 odds surely have some bias towards big clubs (as odds are created to target gamblers tendencies and not actual probability). So in reality the bookies must think our probability of winning is slightly lower.

The odds currently reflect that Woolwich, Milan, Leicester, Leverkusen, Ajax, Napoli still have quite a bit of work to do to get through current round (Only us and Man U are basically though with Villarreal and Roma highly likely through)

Assuming majority of the clubs listed get through to Last 16 our odds will lengthen tomorrow evening, and then could go anywhere based on Last 16 draw.
Friday afternoon we would be favourites if say ManU get Milan, and we get someone like Molde. Alternatively we could be 5th or 6th favourites if we get tough draw.

We beat Utd 6-1 - Leicester rely on 11 players - Milan are bang average .... it's all just a matter of opinion.

Over two legs we are as good if not better than any team still in ... that's if we show up.
:dembelelol:
I don't where to start.

You're good and I want some of that optimism but can we agree on "a bit of a challenge" ?

No team in the history of the premier league has been 9th at this stage of the season and finished top 4. Historically speaking the top 4 will come from the teams currently 1-5th. Maybe 6th at a push.

Add in the fact we have lost 5 out of last 10 games I think people need to accept top 4 is gone. Too many teams above us need to drop points while we massively change our own form. Top 8 is realistic. Top 6 will be hard.

After 2/3 of the season there’s usually a reason to be in your league position.

Even if we replicate our first 14 games (a period that saw us top) we only get to 61 points.

EUROPEAN GLORY OR BUST!!!!

I can understand people saying we can do both, but surely nobody believes we should prioritize the PL at this point?

Europa league should 100% be the main priority. Champions league entry AND a trophy at long last.

No brainer.
Yeah I'm suprised how many think we are good enough to do both. I love their faith in this manager & team. But we have found the likes of palace, west ham, fulham, Newcastle etc too strong to beat. We are where we deserve to be in the league based on performances.

Because our players would then be rusty and not match fit for that tie?
If you look at OP, I have suggested resting players in the PL tie a few days before the EFL final.
Many posters think you meant sacrificing league games even when they aren't near a Europa match. They haven't read properly what you wrote.

Yep.

Also the people who are angrily disagreeing with me, aren't articulating what they actually want to see happen...
Do they want Kane or Son to play 5 games in the space of 14 days on 2 separate occasions?
Do they want us to drop Kane/ Son in the 1st or 2nd leg of a Europa League K/O tie? (imo only acceptable if we've got a massive 1st leg lead... unlikely)
Do they want us to drop stars for the games sandwiched in between the Europa legs, due on fatigue? That's NLD and Man U.

I'm suggesting rest key players for the start of these packed schedules in games against Palace and Newcastle.
Not seen a coherent alternative so far, but lots of anger.
Yeh that's because they don't want to answer about when to drop the likes of kane & son as it doesn't look good for their argument. They are basically saying don't rest players but don't over play them. Which is a contradiction. Unless you believe the likes of kane can play 3 games in a week without it negatively affecting his performance. Then you have a point. But I disagree with that point. Kane & son etc need a rest & to be fresher for the big games. Son has looked knackered for a while now.
Also, the more you play the more chance of picking up a injury.

At least Igula, to give him credit, is the first person on this thread who disagrees with me to actually give a specific alternative strategy.
Better than the vague clichés from many.
Yeah igula always commits to an answer fully & stands by it. Even if its not a popular opinion. Fair play igula :mourthumb:

If I had to, yes I would rest the best players in the league ahead of Europa games against strong opponents. Hopefully it won't be necessary too often though.

The matches that To Dare Is To Do. To Dare Is To Do. put in red are candidates, but hopefully the likes of Kane can still manage two games a week over the crunch few weeks.

Last edited:
The thing is, we both agree that in some games this season we will need to see Kane and Son rested for Vinicius and Alli.
The difference between us is that you want stars rested in the 2nd leg of a K/O Europa League tie, while I want it in some of the easier games in the league.

No I want to wait and decide at the time of the games rather than make a general statement of making PL games less important now. It may be that at the time of the games I am willing to have them sit in the Palace game (for example) I am just not willing to say now that we should prioritize EL this early ahead of PL games.

Look at the history in this competition not just this season but every time we’ve been in it. Also what did Liverpool go and achieve the season they successfully said bollocks to the Europa competition. The competition is a hindrance!

Leicester and United are 2 and 3 in the league are arguably having better seasons that anyone would have expected with EL this season.

Liverpool destroyed the league with European football last year, City are running away with the league and somehow managing to get by in Europe as well.

I would love to hear your nonsense evidence that we have been hurt this year by Europa. There is no evidence at all that it has had an effect on us at all this season. In fact during the hectic time that everyone was crying about we were on our best run of the season.

I addressed the draw scenario earlier. I think its unlikely that we will get easy draws for both R16 and QF, so I think at some point we will have to make some sacrifices in resting players in PL games. If it's not Palace, it will be Newcastle.
I started this thread and poll to see if others agreed with the principle itself that if and when there is a decision to be made, ppl would be happy with resting players in some PL matches and starting best team in EL. So far 33-27 in favour.

Also the premature point is a bit silly. We will also have a much better idea of our squad strengths, and thus suitable transfer targets, in June rather than now. But do you go on summer transfer thread and remind each person who suggested a position we need to fill that it's premature and we should wait till June?

I have to say I don't get how the transfer thing is comparable at all. We know our needs now so it makes sense to talk about them.

We don't know our opponent, we don't know our health, we don't know our form, all of these things should impact our decision on line-ups before games.

Back
Top Bottom