Spurs vs Liverpool

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yeah, I said before the game we'd find out if it was because Dier was in midfield or because we had Alderweireld. Turns out it's because the team are just better defensively. It's absolutely outstanding to see. Best I've seen us defensively in years.

Tbh the only team this season that looked pretty potent against us in an attacking sense was stoke. They saw Walker was having difficulty on that side so literally targeted that side with cross after cross into our box.
Other then that though we've restricted the opposition to not much at all. Not many clear cut chances...nada.

Me either -- but it was a draw, so we can only assume we dropped 2 points because Danny Rose was in the team.

Rose was fine, and injected some impetus into an often laboured build up. Alli was great again today and Dembele was, at times, a joy to watch.
Harry's lack of confidence is a concern but, that aside, a lot of positives for Spurs atm.

Wiki his other buddy was ragging on Kane and Davies plus freaked out that we were it good enough.

Blah blah blah, boring -- go ahead and quote me saying we weren't going to get 4th with Kane from over a year ago. I'd love to see you quote me bashing Davies, though... you act like folks have forgotten the Rose thread because it's been over a week. Looks like your penchant for lying has finally seen you ended, at least for the time being.

Enjoy your month away, psycho.

Rose was fine, and injected some impetus into an often laboured build up. Alli was great again today and Dembele was, at times, a joy to watch.
Harry's lack of confidence is a concern but, that aside, a lot of positives for Spurs atm.

Really glad to hear Alli is doing well, especially given how much work he's had to put in over the last month or so. Yeah.. I saw a few clips of Kane fluffing some chances. Good thing is, he's getting them nearly every game.

I'm a bit surprised that Spurs could not beat pool's pressing. I thought pool over-committed pressing forward, and thought Spurs should have had more breaking forward. Seemed like they played a lot of long balls to Kane vs Skrtel - and it did not result in anything.

I'm a fan of alli and think he has a big future but he wasn't very good today to be honest.

The thing is with Rose is he's an attacking full back. He will be exposed from time to time, but we will get chances from his attacking. Davies is a good, solid defender and the more conservative option.

Yeah, I said before the game we'd find out if it was because Dier was in midfield or because we had Alderweireld. Turns out it's because the team are just better defensively. It's absolutely outstanding to see. Best I've seen us defensively in years.
Agreed. But let's be honest. That was a weak pool attacking 4.

I'm a bit surprised that Spurs could not beat pool's pressing. I thought pool over-committed pressing forward, and thought Spurs should have had more breaking forward. Seemed like they played a lot of long balls to Kane vs Skrtel - and it did not result in anything.

agreed, although I'm not surprised we struggled with the pressing, not the first time we've paniced in that situation or got sloppy. You have to think when they hunt in packs like that (often groups of 3's) there must be space elsewhere on the pitch. You need your team mates to anticipate the danger and offer and 'easy out'.

Thought it was an ok game.

Watching Barcelona - Rayo now, however, makes me understand, why English football is in crisis in Europe.

edited

Last edited:
Agreed. But let's be honest. That was a weak pool attacking 4.
Yep. I think a team with a fit Sturridge/Benteke/Ings would have caused a lot more problems to the defence. Still, I feel less nervous about our defence than I can remember for a long time. The King & Woodgate CB pairing was the last time I actually thought we were More likely than not to keep clean sheets. Jan & Toby are doing a great job.

Yep. I think a team with a fit Sturridge/Benteke/Ings would have caused a lot more problems to the defence. Still, I feel less nervous about our defence than I can remember for a long time. The King & Woodgate CB pairing was the last time I actually thought we were More likely than not to keep clean sheets. Jan & Toby are doing a great job.
And Poch has largely left the back 4 alone. Only LB has changed. A solid CB pairing is crucial. Great to see.

Yep. And for the first time in years, we have viable options in case of injuries or suspensions. Not vintage stuff today but this is the type of game we would have lost a year ago

When we don't play well, and / or play with key men missing, we draw.
When we play well, and / or with a full strength starting 11, we win.

Too many draws, But either way, we're not losing, and the confidence this 8 game unbeaten run will be instilling in the squad will serve us well going into our next 3, crucial league games.

6 points against Bournemouth and Villa and then the Scum. I'm enjoying this run.

Edit: fun fact: Nine games, just under a quarter of the season played, and the only team to score a winning goal against Spurs in the league this season is......Spurs.

Think about that for a moment.

:pochohshit:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom