Spurs Youth 2020/21

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Great shame - but Scott Parker his immediate predessor went to become PL Fulham's manager and immediately before that our u18 head coach went to be ManU's assistant first team coaxh. It seems our youth coach choices are highly rated.

I thought Matt Taylor was doing very well with u18's and some of the players he worked with have already made first team debuts - Harvey White, Malachi Fagan-Walcott, Nile John, Alfie Devine and Dane Scarlett - and with the likes of Dennis Cirkin and Jamie Bowden playing in pre-seasons and being on first team benches.

Great shame - but Scott Parker his immediate predessor went to become PL Fulham's manager and immediately before that our u18 head coach went to be ManU's assistant first team coaxh. It seems our youth coach choices are highly rated.

I thought Matt Taylor was doing very well with u18's and some of the players he worked with have already made first team debuts - Harvey White, Malachi Fagan-Walcott, Nile John, Alfie Devine and Dane Scarlett - and with the likes of Dennis Cirkin and Jamie Bowden playing in pre-seasons and being on first team benches.

Not forgetting Alex Inglethorpe who runs the whole youth set up at Liverpool

The squad

Goalkeepers: Matthew Cox (AFC Wimbledon), Max Metcalfe (Middlesbrough), Tobi Oluwayemi (Celtic), Jed Ward (Bristol Rovers)

Defenders: Jamal Baptiste (West Ham United), Callum Doyle (Manchester City), Ronnie Edwards (Peterborough United), Will Fish (Manchester United), Ethan Ingram (West Bromwich Albion), Zane Monlouis (Woolwich), Daniel Oyegoke (Woolwich), Imari Samuels (Reading), Thierry Small (Everton), Reece Welch (Everton)

Midfielders: Tobias Collyer (Brighton & Hove Albion), Alfie Devine (Tottenham Hotspur), Joe Haigh (Chelsea), Nile John (Tottenham Hotspur), Harvey Vale (Chelsea), Charlie Webster (Chelsea)

Forwards: Kwadwo Baah (Rochdale), Amadou Diallo (West Ham United), Sam Edozie (Manchester City), Joe Hugill (Manchester United), Daniel Jebbison (Sheffield United), Rico Richards (West Bromwich Albion), Dane Scarlett (Tottenham Hotspur), Jude Soonsup-Bell (Chelsea)

John, Devine and Scarlett called up for E u19 trainijng camp - Devine is still 16, Scarlett is 17 !

Watched the second half. He lost a couple of battles but won most of 'em.
Could have done better for one of the goals. Doesn't compare to CCV for passing and composure but of course he is much younger.
Great experience for him coming up to be in a Wembley final.

I've found him really difficult to assess at Lincoln, simply because the level of opposition is (of course) lower than PL. The right thing for him is a loan to a Championship club next season (and maybe if Lincoln are successful in the final he may stay there next season), although given our issues at RB, I do wonder if in pre-season we will be looking to see if he could do a job for us as the back up RB, as he's had a very good loan season ?

Up until mid February he was playing consistently as RB for LIncoln and they spent a number of weeks at top of League 1 with him playing there, but they bought a youngster in January and wanted to develop him at RB, but after a few weeks out of the side Eyoma was brought back into the side as CB and he's stayed there - looks as if it might have been a mistake for him to have been moved from RB as Lincoln lost top spot and are now in play offs.

His total stats for the season now are :

League 1 - 39 appearances (including 34 starts), total 2,908 minutes played
League 1 play offs - 2 appearances (both starts), total 180 minutes played (plus possibly one more to come in Wembley final)
EFL Trophy - 7 appearances (all 7 starts), total 623 minutes played
FA Cup - 1 appearance (a start), total 90 minutes played
EFL Cup - 3 appearances (all starts), total 270 minutes played

That's a total of 52 appearances so far (including 47 starts), total 4,071 minutes played (with the Wembley final still to come).

For his first season playing professionally (ignore the few minutes played in Spurs first team) that's a lot of game time. Impressive as most of the time he's been chosen to start and usually plyed the full 90 minutes.

Been reading up on Dane Scarlett and seeing his stats etc. This young man is a natural goal scorer. Check him out on Youtube.

Yes he is, and so is Jamie Donley who is striker for the year group below Scarlett.

Problem is that Scarlett is 17 and Donley 16 so I'm not expecting either of them to be regular starters for Surs first team or even regular substitutes for us for a couple of seasons.

Congratulations to Elliott Thorpe on first first Wales u21 call up. Could be a great way to get experience for him.

I think our last Welsh u21 might have been Simon Davies - and he was a very decent player for us at the time until injured (when we sold him to Everton), and his best match for Wales an extraordinary and deserved 2-1 win against Italy.

I liked Simon. He was decent.
I think we have had a pretty good run with Welsh players.. 👏

Last edited:
I think he was better than decent. Until his injury he'd looked very very good. Pleat (again) scouted him and Etherington from Peterborough (?) and ME if anything was more highly rated. Gutted when Hoddle lost his nerve for the Blackburn final and didn;t select him.

Yes Simon Davies was a bit of a favourite of mine - showed he was always available when Spurs hammered Chelsea 5-1 (Davies scoring a goal) in a 2nd leg cup match almost 20 years ago when Davies was about 21 or 22 I think. Great match to watch as a Spur as Chelsea were odds on to win.

Congratulations to Elliott Thorpe on first first Wales u21 call up. Could be a great way to get experience for him.

I think our last Welsh u21 might have been Simon Davies - and he was a very decent player for us at the time until injured (when we sold him to Everton), and his best match for Wales an extraordinary and deserved 2-1 win against Italy.

BTW forgot to mention on Friday 4 June @ 18.30 Welsh u21 match on S4C, but I think will be online/Youtube for free. Sadly I am likely to be out but interested in feedback on Thorpe if anyone watches the match

Thanks for posting

Don't think there are any outright surprises in the yougsters leaving - I had high hopes for Richards but he's had a series of injuries and that might be the reason for his not being offered a new contract, whilst Roles is a bit of enigma in that after a very good loan at League 2 Cambridge could not get any real playing time with either clubs he was loaned to in League 1. Too light weight or what. Wish them both well though - and the others on the list.

What's the deal with Tobi Omole? He is over age next season.

NO LONGER U212021-22
Austin, Brandon
Omole, Tobi LB,CB
TANGANGA Japhet
NO LONGER U212022-23
Eyoma, Timothy Joel
Lavinier, Marcel RB
Lyons-Foster, Brooklyn
Mukendi, Jeremie CF/RB
Okedina, Jubril CB
Thorpe, Elliot CAM
SESSEGNON Ryan
SKIPP Oliver

Can only assume he's being loaned out next season as keeping him implies Spurs have extended his one year contract.

Even bigger surprise was keeping Mukendi who has only played about 6 games in 3 seasons due to injury, but let Richards go who has had injuries but scored regularly when fit. But fans don't see them on training ground, and almost nothing during lockdown, so maybe there was a logical reason.

I'm still puzzled by Jack Roles - he played in 2019/20 pre-season coming off bench three times (see below), before having a very decent 2019/20 season with League 2 Cambridge United scoring 5 goals (he had scored and assisted lots in Spurs u23 and u18 sides, so no surprise)

In that pre-season, Roles came off the bench after 62 minutes against both Juventus and ManU (against whom he had a shot charged down) and Bayern Munich after 70 minutes - scoring his penalty as Spurs won on penalties.

But I don't recall him playing in the following pre-season and Gedson was recruited who I'm not sure made any more impression than the versatile Roles might have made (and I suspect Gedon played in place of Roles). But then I also fail to understand his lack of playing time in the two League 1 loans last season. Mystery

Last edited:
Agreed but aged 17, I think he needs to be brought in gently as his body is probably still developing and my guess is that it wouldn't stand up to too many 90 minute matches regularly once a week.

As a reference point I can't think of too many 17 year olds who have played regularly in PL at that age - probably a few more in Championship ( Harvey Elliott at Blackburn in Championship being the exception to prove the point).

But he's an exciting player with great potential.

like this, and you’re right. Owen n Rooney, both burnt out by late 20s.

Thinking more in terms of regular 20-30mins in Europe, but if he explodes it’s gonna be hard to keep his patience, Rashford was 17 at break through, but completely agree ideally his major growth phases are over before he starts bedding into 90 mins here and there.

Back
Top Bottom