Spurs Youth 2020/21

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Totally forgot about him.

I think it proves the success of the loan syatem to develop players - Skipp, Eyoma and Okedina will certainly be coming back better than if they had been playing u23's last season - and they wouldn't have got much game time with the first team as showed under Poch (who had a more stable covid free time than Mourhino) and probably true under Mourhino.

Others including Parrott, White and Clarke despite having less success will have developed as players and people.

Ju;st hope whoever is the incoming manager recognises the importance of loans as one of the mechanisms/ways to develop players, given that its never going to be possible to develop all the youngsters via playing them in the first team without some also going through loans.

first goal very Kane-like shot; low, into the corner, often look like they're scuffed but they are the hardest ones for the keeper to save.
I agree.
One of my big hopes for our Academy strikers is that they have learnt tons from Kane - especially his work ethic in training and how he taught himself to strike low in the corner off both feet because keepers hate that so much.
So, not just Parrott, but the likes of Dane Scarlett too.

I agree.
One of my big hopes for our Academy strikers is that they have learnt tons from Kane - especially his work ethic in training and how he taught himself to strike low in the corner off both feet because keepers hate that so much.
So, not just Parrott, but the likes of Dane Scarlett too.
You'd hope that the Academy Coaches would be encouraging these young strikers to glean as much as they can from Kane - how he trains, what he tries to do when he shoots, having a strong "wrong" foot (one of my bug bears with "pro" footballers), whether he goes near post or far for crosses, and so on.

If a lad from the academy makes it, then attitude (and luck) are hugely important. It's likely that Chavs and City will hoover up a lot of the youngsters who have the talent, because it's pretty easy to spot at the age of 10 or whatever and they've got the pockets to appeal to a parent's greed.

We have to punch above our weight here, and identifying which kids have the right work ethic has to be one of the ways to do it.

Devine's clearly class.

Mathurin looked very skilful - free kick was a belter, went high and dipped, maybe might have beaten a wall of taller senior footballers too. Very neat flick with left peg to mug the defender and volleyed left peg finish for the 3rd.

Scarlett is very physical, will be interesting to see how he develops against senior centre backs who won't be bullied.

Muir looked a useful CB.

Good interplay down our left #11 and #3, obviously for the first goal but not the only time. Mundle and Kyesu?

That first goal - some great possession football, great the scorer Lusala arriving late in the box was the RB.

Seemed to get the rub of the green for once with ref decisions. The 2nd looked a foul by Craig the assister, but great credit for pressing the last defender on the edge of the box.

Zest Zest mentioned Scarlett's surly edge. I wasn't bothered by that, he didn't seem to do much fouling.

But Devine - he's the one with attitude! Got red in the previous one I saw for kicking Drinkwater, got a yellow this time (kicking ball away?), always in the ref's face nattering, walked straight past when subbed!

Were Chavs missing lots of players? They were battered. Whittaker (?) missing from a yard out after a deflection made it sound a lot worse than it was. That would have been 7 (seven)

Why can't Spurs televise Youth games? There must be a reason
This is the match where young Alfie Devine got a red for fouling Danny Drinkwater.

Given chavski paid £34 million for Drinkwater when Conte was coach, I think the first thing our Academy boss should do is show Conte the video of Devine kicking Drinkwater.

Antonio seems to thrive on revenge. Alfie would be straight into the first team squad.

:mourear:

Just noticed this from last week. I don't think it's been posted in this thread.

Think I have only seen him play once and he sailed a bit close to the wind in that game. Likes to ..ahem..put his foot in.

From White City, came over from Brentford in 2016 (I didn't think they had any sort of academy?)

Someone did well to persuade him to come over to Enfield then; 3 big clubs very close to Brentford - Chavs, Fulham and QPR, although the first 2 have training grounds out in Surrey. QPR's would have been pretty easy to get to.

Brentford Academy was formally closed at end of 2015-16 season with the players released to find another academy to join and a few (probably oldest) sold.

Players included u16's but also u16'2, u15. u14 etc.

Spurs picked up a number of them, but worthwhile noting that its not uncommon for players at end of say u14 season will move from one academy to another, so whilst Brentford academy closing brought things to a head some players might have moved anyway.

Thimothee Lo-Tutala u18 goalkeeper who has just moved up to Spurs development squad is another who moved from Brentford academy to Spurs around time of Brentford academy closing (but not sure of precise timing).

cheers 👍

T L-T is highly rated as a keeper isn't he? If so, that's 2 possible for the future then, good going.

Did Brentford shut their Academy down because it's expensive for a non-PL team, and their best kids got cherry-picked by other, bigger clubs? 3 of them have grounds very close to Griffin P.

They must be doing something right. Since they got their promotion out of Div 1 they've been there or thereabouts several seasons. I imagine there's so many players that get released by other London clubs they can let them do the hard work for a change!

Rick Wakeman I recall being a fan, don't know of any other "celebs".

Various explanations I heard for closing academy - probably most credible one being that they felt young players were being cherry picked eg before offered academy scholarship so 'compensation' is prety low, and of course its the best of the say 10 - 15 in that year group.

I think that they lost a fair number of very decent youngsters when they closed the academy (including Nile John, Dermi Lusala, Thimothee Lo-Tutala and we have had a couple of others who flopped). But they have created a B team out of other clubs younsters either discards or who felt over looked - so Paris Maghoma from Spurs who has been in and around England youth groups, but not imo first class.

So IMO the academy closure decision has probably cost them as many good prospects as they have gained with B team approach. Might take a couple more years to work out if it really was a good decision.

Where Bretford have really gained is in their data focussed analysis of young players to pick up the likes of Ollie Watkins for a relsative song, develop him and sell him to Villa for I think circa £30m

Isn't it about time we got a Youth 2021-22 thread?
I want to start looking forward and not backwards.

Probably worth waiting for the Retained and Released lists to be published - might not differ from what we know already, but worth starting out with a confirmed list of players.

I've PM'd WindyCOYS WindyCOYS as he has been the starter of the Youth threads here to see if he's still around and wants to take the lead, so give him a week or two in case he's on hols somewhere.

That takes uis to start of July, just before pre-season starts which seems a decent time for the new thread to start ?

Last edited:

40 Brandon Austin
41 Alfie Whiteman
47 Jack Clarke
48 Harvey White
49 Dennis Cirkin

No CCV, which is a slight surprise, might have something to do with his contract ending in June 2021, but being Club Trained would have thought he would be a good option as a spare defender given the frenatic match schelule - we need a minimum of 4 Club trained players to have a full 25 man squad and have Kane, Winks and presumeably one of gk's Austin or Whiteman so room for CCV as Rose can be assumed to be off ?

It's nice to see that even though they do train with the first team, the likes of Cirkin and Clarke are still getting valuable time actually playing football - this was one of my gripes with Pochettino and stopping talented youngsters from actually playing football.

Not sure about this logic personally I was a decent road cyclist back in my early teens and certainly a level above anybody in my age group at my club , competing in my own age group was a waste of time and was always beneficial to compete at a higher level even when getting hammered regularly.

Looks like we have signed Keenan Ferguson - described as 'Trialist' in pre-season matches and identified from pictures by Spurs youth enthusuasts. Plays RB/CB ex Sheffield United, fast, powerful and athletic with a decent amount of skill.

I blame WindyCOYS WindyCOYS for missing him out from tyhe squad list yesterday :D :D

So Ferguson starts at RB.

I see Cirkin and White are lining up for the U23s, so presumably neither will be on the bench tomorrow.

Also, under Poch, our first team squad youngsters, like KWP and Skipp, hardly ever played for the U23s, so that may be a change of philosophy under Mourinho.

EDIT: I see Jack Clarke is in that U23 side too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom