Steven Bergwijn

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He shouldn't be playing on the right for a start.

If he plays, it should be on the left. If we were always going to be taking Son off, it should have been for Bale and we should have put Bergwijn on the left. Especially considering Lucas isn't as effective on the left like he is on the right, where Bale played.

Hopefully he gets a start in the Europa League in the week and he's on the left. Lamela on the right and Carlos Vinicius up top.

Surprised he seems to have got a free pass from yesterday.

After a good start to his Spurs career he's no more than a passenger at the moment. Almost anonymous yesterday and offered little when he got the ball.

A least Lucas is good in the air!

Surprised he seems to have got a free pass from yesterday.

After a good start to his Spurs career he's no more than a passenger at the moment. Almost anonymous yesterday and offered little when he got the ball.

A least Lucas is good in the air!

He's not a RW for a start.

Wasn't good yesterday, no. But playing him in his favoured position might help.

Subbing him off was another poor Mourinho decision. Instead of just moving him to the left and bringing Bale on to play on the right.

He's not a RW for a start.

Wasn't good yesterday, no. But playing him in his favoured position might help.

Subbing him off was another poor Mourinho decision. Instead of just moving him to the left and bringing Bale on to play on the right.
Much as it pains me to say, if Lamela was fit, he'd get my vote. Bergwign has been mediocre/poor for most of his games regardless of starting or as a sub. The odd goal here and there but not much else.

Thankfully Bale seems to have his (and Lucas's) spot sewn up.

Much as it pains me to say, if Lamela was fit, he'd get my vote. Bergwign has been mediocre/poor for most of his games regardless of starting or as a sub. The odd goal here and there but not much else.

Thankfully Bale seems to have his (and Lucas's) spot sewn up.
Bale will have to get much much fitter. Bergwin was doing a job in not his favoured position. The issue is Lamela can't stay fit. I'd fucking sell Lamela who I love and Lucas who I am grateful 🙏 to. Buy Dyabala and a player with actual end product, Mc Neil, Brookes, It dont have to be a Super star the right footballer would make us truly unstoppable.

Like some here, I am really worried about his trajectory with us.

Came on with a bang but has been getting worse and worse when the time has passed. Yesterday did not shine at all, most memorable moment was when his 1st touch took ball 4 meters ahead of him for defender to collect it comfortably.

I hope he could turn things around, he has decent shot and should be faster than average. Build is strongish as well... we'll see.

He looks out of his depth and his positioning needs a lot of work. Watched him yesterday and he doesn't understand where to run when in attacks or when pressing. Coaches job to teach him.

I think he has technical ability but a lot of work needed to improve other areas of his game.

Came on with a bang but has been getting worse and worse when the time has passed. Yesterday did not shine at all, most memorable moment was when his 1st touch took ball 4 meters ahead of him for defender to collect it comfortably.

I hope he could turn things around, he has decent shot and should be faster than average. Build is strongish as well... we'll see.

I'm not seeing the things I'd expect from him..... Exploiting his pace, dribbling at players, getting on the end of breaks, finding positions 18 yards out to have a shot. We know he has a lovely delivery from out wide too.....

Why that is, I'm not so sure.... Is he just being deployed to graft, rather than attack? Is he not in synch with the players around him?

Also, worth remembering his time here has been littered with injuries and the team in general being inconsistent. Add in Covid... It's not exactly been the ideal start to his tenure.

Hopefully between now and Xmas he can be given a run of starts in the EL and he can hopefully settle back down.....

Last edited:

Right mate.
Looks like a poor man's Lennon at the moment

Disappointed with him for the last while, you like to be seeing more flashes of potential than we see. Feel he's a decent amount away from peak physical condition, still think he'll be a really good player.

I wonder if he’s had his confidence knocked with the signing of Bale. He doesn’t seem to be expressing himself, seems like a bit of a peripheral figure at the moment and I can see him, along with a few like Sanchez, Winks, Lucas etc perhaps being a few of those with fear in them like Jose mentioned.

He linked up well in the first half, not sure what all the whinging is about. He needs time to reach his best level but he will get there. He’s only just turned 23 and is simply not as experienced as Son and Kane.

I wonder if he’s had his confidence knocked with the signing of Bale. He doesn’t seem to be expressing himself, seems like a bit of a peripheral figure at the moment and I can see him, along with a few like Sanchez, Winks, Lucas etc perhaps being a few of those with fear in them like Jose mentioned.
He's still young and has got time to grow into the team. It's got to be intimidating playing alongside Kane/Son and now Bale. I sort of understand why he would want to just be a passenger - literally playing alongside three world class attackers. On a positive note, when he's on the pitch, he isn't doing anything that detrimental to the overall play.

Out of Lamela, Moura and Bergjiwin, I think Lamela has the right mentality/mindset to play with and alongside the three. I don't see him being intimidated under any circumstance.

Last edited:
He certainly feels more comfortable on the left. And he's young so being able to play multiple positions at a high level is more difficult than a senior player with a better understanding of the game. Give him time.

Back
Top Bottom