Summer 2014 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Id say with Milans current position Shaarawy is quite realistic, we probably wont go there but I think we could definitely get him in

Why do we need more wingers& attacking midfielders?
If anyone is leaving it will be vertonghen and loris unfortunately - and Dawson looks to be on the slide. Friedel retiring. Kaboul injured a lot. Lb is still an issue.
So a centre back or 2, a left back and a keeper are priorities IMO

Do you honestly view our winger situation as acceptable given our ambitions? I'm not talking about collecting more, I'm talking a large overhaul.

Do you honestly view our winger situation as acceptable given our ambitions? I'm not talking about collecting more, I'm talking a large overhaul.
Yes it is acceptable and we had a major overhaul in the summer. You seem to be advocating the purchase of another group of unproven-in-the-prem players, might work out, but a bit of a gamble - also given we don't look like getting champs league is be happy to retain who we have.

Yes it is acceptable and we had a major overhaul in the summer. You seem to be advocating the purchase of another group of unproven-in-the-prem players, might work out, but a bit of a gamble - also given we don't look like getting champs league is be happy to retain who we have.

I'm weary of repeating myself, but my advocacy is of more astute purchases of players who are more fitting to our needs and have proven themselves at top levels. I am no ignorant fool hoping for more of the same. It was plain as day to me that Lamela wouldn't succeed in the Prem until he adjusted his game or got in the weight room. Kono has succeeded against top international quality for four years running now, including facing players playing at the top clubs across Europe. He is no gamble. Regardless, my point is not for specifics, but for better buying if we are to do so. It is my opinion we could've spent at least 40 million less in the summer and have fielded a better squad this year, and this isn't in hindsight as I questioned the buys the second they were rumored.

Personally I've never heard of kono, I'd not heard of chadli either but I'm sure people would say he's been a solid player for 4 years as well. I think we've signed good players, many of them unnecessary, but they'll get better and under other managers/systems would be successful. yes we bought the wrong players but was the system/tactics any good anyway

Personally I've never heard of kono, I'd not heard of chadli either but I'm sure people would say he's been a solid player for 4 years as well. I think we've signed good players, many of them unnecessary, but they'll get better and under other managers/systems would be successful. yes we bought the wrong players but was the system/tactics any good anyway

I'm glad you mentioned Chadli, as he's one I'd like to keep particularly since I think he would offer solid cover at striker. Of course they'll get better, they'll all get better with time. Not that we're out of the top four race, I hope we do play around with some lineups. But for now, as of this summer, I think it would do our squad significant good to sell Siggy and Lennon and bring in one top quality winger such as Kono or Rafa Silva at SC Braga.

If the rumors are true and Real Madrid were bid say 30m for Paulinho, would you accept it? I think I would. I rate Paulinho and think he's a solid player but I think what we paid for him is pretty much exactly what he's worth. Plus his game and role is so similar to Bentaleb and Dembele. His departure could also make a clearer spot for Eriksen, Holtby, or Carroll.

I'd take that cash and invest it in the back line, a forward or wingers. All much weaker than our CM situation where we just have too many players.

If the rumors are true and Real Madrid were bid say 30m for Paulinho, would you accept it? I think I would. I rate Paulinho and think he's a solid player but I think what we paid for him is pretty much exactly what he's worth. Plus his game and role is so similar to Bentaleb and Dembele. His departure could also make a clearer spot for Eriksen, Holtby, or Carroll.

I'd take that cash and invest it in the back line, a forward or wingers. All much weaker than our CM situation where we just have too many players.

Decent player but for that amount I'd absolutely jump at it. As you say, he's about worth what we paid. Take that money and go for some players that will put their jugular in the way to win the ball.

the 30 million bid was in peseta's fella... about £200.

The only reason I'd be hesitant about selling Pauli is his ability to bang in goals... something we desperately need. For all the talent Dembele and Bentaleb have, they aren't nearly as adept at finding the back of the net as Paulinho. Think it's far too much of a risk to get rid of a goal threat from midfield with our strike force as slim as it is.

Defence definitely needs sorting out in the summer only ones I 100% want to see here next season are vertonghen, Vlad and Walker.
Am a big fan of Kaboul but the guy can't keep fit for one week no more.

Defence definitely needs sorting out in the summer only ones I 100% want to see here next season are vertonghen, Vlad and Walker.
Am a big fan of Kaboul but the guy can't keep fit for one week no more.
^This

our #1 priority. More than a new striker.

If we miss out on CL - quite likely - we are looking a a brand new back 5 bar Walker
I think we'll end up with Walker, Daws and Rose plus a new keeper and a new partner for Daws. Would love Kaboul to find his old form but he might well get dumped by the club in the summer.

Edited - Totally forgot about Vlad. Just a new keeper then, to round out the starting back 5.

I think we'll end up with Walker, Daws and Rose plus a new keeper and a new partner for Daws. Would love Kaboul to find his old form but he might well get dumped by the club in the summer.

Edited - Totally forgot about Vlad. Just a new keeper then, to round out the starting back 5.
Please no more Daws other than bench depth at CB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom