Summer 2015 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rubbish. Spurs were always seen as one the most illustrious clubs to play for. Even if not the most successful. We used to be considered one of the big 5. We were trailblazers in the market when Ardiles and Villa came from Argentina. Sold out every ground up and down the country. Broke new ground. Lineker, Klinnsman, Gascoigne, Greaves etc. etc..Why oh why do you think we are such a small time outfit. Why should we be happy to accept this lower place in the fucking food chain.
Good work there, mentioning some of our more illustrious players. The last of whom played for us 20 years ago. Are you a Gulf War vet that's just been told the war is over, but you still think it's the early nineties?

We were one of the Top 5 (probably still are). So were Everton. Things change. We haven't been considered proper title challengers for thirty years. We haven't competed for the worlds best players for longer than that. Wake the fuck up and stop expecting us to sign Messi.

There is some ground between the two sides as to what our capabilities are. Can we sign the world's best? Not really. Lloris was the last genuine world class player we bought and even then I'm a little stumped as to how that happened.

The opportunity to speculate is where we can find those future stars. Berbatov, Modric and Bale could never be called world class when we signed them. They each grew as they matured, and that is what we really have to go for until we are in the CL. The last time that happened we bought Rafa...

He improved himself as a player.
His numbers are actually quite consistent. The talent was there. The output was also there too. No one bothered to notice because as a Championship player, no one would take a risk on him. 2 3 seasons at Soton in the Premier League changed that.

Think about it. It would be a brave club to shop "below their level" given the need to massage egos by "signing big names", but someone could have had 3 seasons of the best all-round CM in the Premier League, for about 10% of what he'll go for this summer.

Sometimes there is no substitute for a big name. You couldn't replace Messi for peanuts. But you can find people who are underappreciated by the rest of the football world. Look at Eric Dier. How the fuck did the rest of the Premier League miss him? Or Christian Eriksen and Victor Wanyama?

If we want to beat the competition, we have to be better than them. That means either training better players in our Academy, or finding better ones elsewhere. Everyone's looking in the same places, so we need to be smarter and faster. ie, Morgan Schneiderlin 3 years ago, or Trippier and Wimmer now.

It won't always work, but it's cheaper to buy more of these guys, and throw away the rejects than buy one Soldado or Adebayor and spend the next 3-5 years crying about carrying an albatross.

U21 Euro final tonight, we should be after John Guidetti. Young, very smart player ... a bit like Sheringham.

City released him, so there is no fee to pay. He is fully fit now, the last time he was fully fit was at Feyenoord, where he scored 20 goals in 23 games.

Get on it!!

There is some ground between the two sides as to what our capabilities are. Can we sign the world's best? Not really. Lloris was the last genuine world class player we bought and even then I'm a little stumped as to how that happened.

The opportunity to speculate is where we can find those future stars. Berbatov, Modric and Bale could never be called world class when we signed them. They each grew as they matured, and that is what we really have to go for until we are in the CL. The last time that happened we bought Rafa...
Rafa was even one of the same. Completely forgotten at Real Madrid, so we took a risk.

Lloris was also the same. A very, very good prospect, but not yet regarded as one of Europe's top 20 keepers.

U21 Euro final tonight, we should be after John Guidetti. Young, very smart player ... a bit like Sheringham.

City released him, so there is no fee to pay. He is fully fit now, the last time he was fully fit was at Feyenoord, where he scored 20 goals in 23 games.

Get on it!!
He'll fail the medical. That's why he's at Celtic in the first place.

I agree there should be a mixture of age, personality and experience in the team and I also agree that signing only from the British Isles is no guarantee of success. I do think it helps if a player knows the culture and language though.

One thing I'm not in agreement with is Lamela. Fine, he may come good, but I want thirty goals per season, every season, from someone that cost that much money. For that cash, you have to hit the ground running, not come good in season three.
Realistically name me one AM that has cost £30m ( I think Lamela was more like £26m with add ons) that has scored 30 goals per season, every season. Name me one striker that has cost £30m that has done that.
I think there are only 7 people in EPL history who have scored over 30 EPL goals a season.

I think John Guidetti might be a good signing and mentioned it earlier in this thread and others also suggested it last year. I think there has been interest from Sevilla, Lazio and others. Since he is a free agent and not short of offers, I don't think his contract will be that cheap and he would demand a lot of minutes in the first team.

I think John Guidetti might be a good signing and mentioned it earlier in this thread and others also suggested it last year. I think there has been interest from Sevilla, Lazio and others. Since he is a free agent and not short of offers, I don't think his contract will be that cheap and he would demand a lot of minutes in the first team.

Clubs are interested to have him, but nobody is falling over themselves to meet his demands. He asked Feyenoord for a big signing on fee and they told him to fuck off. 20 minutes with Levy and his agent will be paying us.

Get on it!!

If he is talented he would be worth a gamble on a free anyway. Use him as our 3rd option as a chance to prove himself / his fitness. Turns out crap I am sure you could move him on.

Realistically name me one AM that has cost £30m ( I think Lamela was more like £26m with add ons) that has scored 30 goals per season, every season. Name me one striker that has cost £30m that has done that.
I think there are only 7 people in EPL history who have scored over 30 EPL goals a season.

30 is excessive but he could've put 10 and it would still seem like a long way to go for Lamela.

It's Levy's fault for offering Adebayor a long term deal. Everyone knew that could go sideways very quickly and it did. Adebayor has the right to be paid what the club agreed to contractually pay him. Levy made a risky play with Adebayor and it hasn't really worked out.

Regardless of difficult Adebayor has been the club has to be largely blamed for it. Everyone involved knew what Adebayor was like before pen touched paper. Didn't come out of nowhere, did it?
Who wanted Adebayor on loan and then into permanent transfer in the first place? Blame the manager of the time too. I'd say Levy can't really win. He would have been vilified by some if he would have refused to sanction the deal and told HR on no condition is he signing him on a long term deal and Ade would have gone somewhere else.
He backed the manager's recommendations I suppose. He can't shoulder all the blame.
Just be thankful he didn't sanction more HR type transfers.

It was an exaggeration to make the point that we can't afford to pay that much money for someone who is bollocks for two years.

30 is excessive but he could've put 10 and it would still seem like a long way to go for Lamela.
He needs to score more goals, yes. But he did not set it alight and still managed to be in the 5th highest assists with 7 ( Oscar and Sanchez managed 8) the same as Tadic, Sterling, Silva, Milner and more than Ramsey & Rooney

It was an exaggeration to make the point that we can't afford to pay that much money for someone who is bollocks for two years.
That's why we should be careful when we see players doing well for a season/two and everyone is saying we should pay £30m plus.
to be fair, Lamela price was bollocks because we were over a barrell because of Willian doing the dirty and the amount money we were going to payfor him. We would not have gone for Lamela otherwise and I doubt Roma would have sold him.
Yet we were running out of time and Baldini 'made them, and him, and offer they could not refuse'

Edit: Willian hasn't actually scored that many goals at Chavs either. I think Lamlea has made just as many assists in one season too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom