Summer 2017 transfer window or, waiting for Godot

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you can use all the hypothetical nonsense in the world to make a point, but when I say you would rather Fabregas than Winks, it's set in stone.
For my points it's not hypothetical, just for you and your Mr X who can play anywhere to fire us up to PL Glory.
Lol

The point is, hypothetically speaking, that you would rather have Fabregas than Winks, as a player.

In the same vein, I would rather have Winks.

Simple as that.
No mong. I said fabregas is currently a better player than Winks but that doesnt mean i would rather have him. Theres other factors like:
Wages

Etc etc. You are embarrasing yourself mate and it's reallly not good. Quit twisting (again).

No mong. I said fabregas is currently a better player than Winks but that doesnt mean i would rather have him. Theres other factors like:
Wages

Etc etc. You are embarrasing yourself mate and it's reallly not good. Quit twisting (again).

I said their bench is better than ours. What is it that you don't understand? A bench is 7 players right?
Begovic = Vorm
Zouma over Wimmer
Willian over Lamela
Fabregas over Winks
Batshyuai over Janssen

Oh dear

What have I made up?
plenty. read back most of your arguments & you will see.
I pointed out them to you when we had that long boring argument. But you still wouldn't accept this when I proved I had no posts or agrees with what you made up that I thought.
& in the end, you basically said you know better than me what I am thinking.

Anyway, I was just giving some advice to kingdawson anyway. I will leave you both to it! Enjoy..

Last edited:
The thing with transfers is that past performance is no guarantee of future performance, so (assuming you're wage limit for the new signing is 100k) there is actually no way you can guarantee that the signing will perform better than the player they are brought in to replace.

If we assume the above is correct, I think it's reasonable to only expect the club to sign players who will, at best, push current first teamers for a place, or, provide rotation in cup games and in case of injuries. Maybe one or two of the those players ends up being better than expected (Wanyama), but unless more than one of our current 11 regresses significantly I don't expect to see more than 1 new player featuring in the PL regularly come October.

No PL club HAS to sell any more - they could all afford to turn down club record bids for their players without thinking twice about it, the only players that doesn't apply to are those are nearing the end of their contracts.

Interesting/frustrating that most clubs could now wipe out their debt with the money they make in a season, whereas we spent years getting to that point.

The interesting part is whether any of them plan to.

Is that pounds or euros?

Not sure if there's a distinction these days :(

The thing with transfers is that past performance is no guarantee of future performance, so (assuming you're wage limit for the new signing is 100k) there is actually no way you can guarantee that the signing will perform better than the player they are brought in to replace.

Exactly, see Soldado, Paulinho, Janssen, Lamela (for 2 years), Sissoko (after his Euros)...thats not a great return for the 130M spent on them (plus wages)

Exactly, see Soldado, Paulinho, Janssen, Lamela (for 2 years), Sissoko (after his Euros)...thats not a great return for the 130M spent on them (plus wages)
However, continuing to make these 10-15m nothing signings like GKN, N'Jie, Holtby etc are not the answer. Doesn't progress the squad and frankly at that price from foreign leagues are long odds to succeed. If we make another N'Jie/GKN style purchase this summer I will scream.

We need some quality depth and I don't care if it's buying someone that's better than current bench players (preferably not merely marginally better) or by buying players that can and do usurp a regular, I don't care which but boy we need a solid window with limited stuff ups.

Finished 2nd yet probably had two of the worst transfer flops in the league.

However, continuing to make these 10-15m nothing signings like GKN, N'Jie, Holtby etc are not the answer. Doesn't progress the squad and frankly at that price from foreign leagues are long odds to succeed. If we make another N'Jie/GKN style purchase this summer I will scream.

We need some quality depth and I don't care if it's buying someone that's better than current bench players (preferably not merely marginally better) or by buying players that can and do usurp a regular, I don't care which but boy we need a solid window with limited stuff ups.

Finished 2nd yet probably had two of the worst transfer flops in the league.

Yep, the most frustrating thing for me is the unused fringe players......I like Wimmer, but there is zero point to him when we had injuries to both Jan and Toby this season and he wasnt used.
Same with Njie...just get rid of them, and replace them with people who we can rely to come on in games or cover injuries.

Whether we sign, or promote, I dont care. Just use them!

Yep, the most frustrating thing for me is the unused fringe players......I like Wimmer, but there is zero point to him when we had injuries to both Jan and Toby this season and he wasnt used.
Same with Njie...just get rid of them, and replace them with people who we can rely to come on in games or cover injuries.

Whether we sign, or promote, I dont care. Just use them!

In fairness to N'jie and N'koudou, I think both had mid-season injuries when they'd be expecting their chances to come up.

Poch is an odd duck though - I expect he'd drop Messi if he couldn't pull off a high press to his standards.

But by that logic tho you'd never sign anyone , to say nothing is guaranteed in life is stating the obvious rather than making a point , we are at the stage where we need 30 - 40 million players to make an impact the fact they could be duds is no excuse for not trying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom