Summer 2017 transfer window or, waiting for Godot

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Indirectly obtained from SIMB:

My mate just sat next to rose on a flight home from Ibiza, he said he won't be leaving this summer due to the injury, he said the club are looking at young potential signings and won't make any big name signings which he said he was a bit gutted about . Nothing too exciting in there . My mate said his leg was in a brace and he was still limping quite heavily

Now let's not embarrass ourselves here with such statements.

They are richest club on the planet, they are the biggest and most successful club in English football. They broke the world transfer record last season despite not being in the CL. They are every bit an elite club, their capacity dictates that.

We may not like this but it is a reality and players will still be desperate to join them, they pay the highest wages in the game firstly and secondarily their capacity means that they will get back to challenging for the highest honors soon. They are simply to wealthy for this malaise to continue.

I'm fully aware and accepting of the fact that my hatred of them fully clouds my judgment of their pull. However, it's also fair to accept that it's not the early 2000's either. The gap between us and them is much much smaller. They're not linked with Chelsea's players and i think we're getting to a stage where our players will be unattainable to them

Indirectly obtained from SIMB:
Kathy-Burke-in-Kevin-and-Perry-Go-Large-Premium-Photograph-and-Poster-1022085__43000.1432432991.386.513.jpg

For a new player to play without dropping anyone, we either field 12, or they come in due to rotation for one of the myriad of reasons you mentioned.
That's squad cover and not a signing to directly improve the first 11.

We didn't play our best 11 a lot due to injuries. With no injuries.

Yeah, you can forget that.

Yes, you have misunderstood.
The chances are you could have a new player to start most of our games next season without dropping anyone of those best 11.
The fact is our starting 11 only played twice last season.
So your "who do you drop" argument is weak & irrelevant.
In nearly all our league games last season our best 11 wasn't available.

Anyway, you are still misunderstanding & unwilling to accept the "who do you drop" argument is crap.
I shall leave you to continue to run with it anyway.
So you are saying we need to improve the squad-the matchday squad by adding "strength in depth"? Presumably we will always have a player or two injured/suspended/out of form? The player(s) we bring in would not oust any of our best XI, but supplement them?
I'm getting a bit confused here but I don't see us doing another Sissoko this time around. £30 million + top of our wage ceiling for a bench warmer seems optimistic when we have a stadium to pay for.

FWIW, I'm not sure how we improve on our best XI at this stage in our development/progression.

That team will make mugs of any team in the PL. the team is a tight unit, still young & have now had 2 seasons together.

I'm not saying we shouldn't look to improve, but look at the best starting XI & ask who (realistically) would be an improvement on those players?
Lloris
Rose
Toby
Jan
Dier
Walker
Wanyama
Dembele
Eriksen
Alli
Kane

We have Son, Davies, Trippier & Winks & Lamela (hopefully) as back up/rotation players.
Son-22 goals
Davies-solid as a rock
Trippier-5 assists in half a dozen games
Winks-outstanding young player
Lamela- one of our top performers in 2015-16

Janssen could be upgraded if Poch is ready to give up on him but he's 23 & perhaps needs another season.

We need a replacement for Wimmer as Poch seems to have already given up on him

N'Jie, N'Koudou & Sissoko all seem to be unfavoured too, so I assume they won't be a loss to Poch either.

TLDR:
We should be able to replace those players Poch doesn't fancy without breaking the bank, but I don't see us bringing in galactico level players at this stage.

Agreed. I believe Chelsea being able to play their best 11 for way more games than us was the difference in them winning the league & us not.
Definitely.

I'd also say that them "discovering" the 3 at the back 2 months before us was key. Our form from mid-Dec was pretty sensational. Hull at home the first time we implemeted the formation. Chavs mid-Oct I think after their goons horror show.

And Aguero might go to PSG, and Silva to Madrid, and Rashford to Spurs, and Costa to China, and Hazard to Barca....

I could name any player and say "he might leave"

And?

Anyone can do that but it is quite apparant that Walker will most likely leave this summer. That something has gone on behind the scenes with him. It is hardly guesswork to say such a thing.

So you are saying we need to improve the squad-the matchday squad by adding "strength in depth"? Presumably we will always have a player or two injured/suspended/out of form? The player(s) we bring in would not oust any of our best XI, but supplement them?
I'm getting a bit confused here but I don't see us doing another Sissoko this time around. £30 million + top of our wage ceiling for a bench warmer seems optimistic when we have a stadium to pay for.

FWIW, I'm not sure how we improve on our best XI at this stage in our development/progression.

That team will make mugs of any team in the PL. the team is a tight unit, still young & have now had 2 seasons together.

I'm not saying we shouldn't look to improve, but look at the best starting XI & ask who (realistically) would be an improvement on those players?
Lloris
Rose
Toby
Jan
Dier
Walker
Wanyama
Dembele
Eriksen
Alli
Kane

We have Son, Davies, Trippier & Winks & Lamela (hopefully) as back up/rotation players.
Son-22 goals
Davies-solid as a rock
Trippier-5 assists in half a dozen games
Winks-outstanding young player
Lamela- one of our top performers in 2015-16

Janssen could be upgraded if Poch is ready to give up on him but he's 23 & perhaps needs another season.

We need a replacement for Wimmer as Poch seems to have already given up on him

N'Jie, N'Koudou & Sissoko all seem to be unfavoured too, so I assume they won't be a loss to Poch either.

TLDR:
We should be able to replace those players Poch doesn't fancy without breaking the bank, but I don't see us bringing in galactico level players at this stage.
I am just pointing out our best 11 only started twice last season so the "who do you drop" argument was very irrelevant.
I would think that most games you would have 1 of the best 11 injured, tired, suspended or out of form.
Unless we have a miracle season where our starting 11 stays fit, in form & don't tire. Last season they managed it twice.

I think you could easily sign a top player & fit them in most of our games without having to just drop 1 of our best 11 every time.

If there is a fairly expensive player who poch wants, then I am all for it even if some aren't.

Anyone can do that but it is quite apparant that Walker will most likely leave this summer. That something has gone on behind the scenes with him. It is hardly guesswork to say such a thing.

There has been no confirmation of a bid. Recent history suggest that bids from direct top rivals in the Premier League will be met with a big fat no. Levy actually does have a say in this and as long as Walker doesn't play up, I can see him staying.

I'm fully aware and accepting of the fact that my hatred of them fully clouds my judgment of their pull. However, it's also fair to accept that it's not the early 2000's either. The gap between us and them is much much smaller. They're not linked with Chelsea's players and i think we're getting to a stage where our players will be unattainable to them

The talent gap has been reduced but in terms of capacity it has never been gretater. Their wage bill alone has been higher than our entire turnover in recent seasons. There is a good reason why they do not get linked to Chelsea's players, it is the same reason why they do not get linked to City's as well. That is the protection a billionaire benefactor brings. As long as they can continue to break world transfer records and can pay salaries at level well beyond us we will continue to be vulnerable.

It's not apparent, it's twitter rumours
They are as made up as what I just did.

Walkers off because he changed his profile page to England. Ridiculous stuff

It's not apparent, it's twitter rumours
They are as made up as what I just did.

Walkers off because he changed his profile page to England. Ridiculous stuff

It is more than Twitter rumours, the story broke after that the Cup semi final and was a consistent one across the media. That is typically a sign that it has come from one of the respective parties. Regardless I don't expect him to be here next season.

It is more than Twitter rumours, the story broke after that the Cup semi final and was a consistent one across the media. That is typically a sign that it has come from one of the respective parties. Regardless I don't expect him to be here next season.

The story broke because Tripper played in a cup game on the back of Walker carrying a knock in the weeks prior to the game. Poch always rotates in the cups.
It was lazy journalism, there hasn't been a single quote from anyone on the matter other than Poch saying that our players are on long long contracts and we decide who leaves.

So as I said, it doesn't matter what the media said. They also said that Iheanacho had signed for West Ham 4 weeks ago

This is exactly what confuses me in this argument....people have made statements regarding signing players to directly improve the first team.

But apparently no one needs dropping or rotating, and they are not squad cover.

Maybe we are going with the new 3213421 formation next season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom