Summer 2017 transfer window or, waiting for Godot

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing with transfers is that past performance is no guarantee of future performance, so (assuming you're wage limit for the new signing is 100k) there is actually no way you can guarantee that the signing will perform better than the player they are brought in to replace.

If we assume the above is correct, I think it's reasonable to only expect the club to sign players who will, at best, push current first teamers for a place, or, provide rotation in cup games and in case of injuries. Maybe one or two of the those players ends up being better than expected (Wanyama), but unless more than one of our current 11 regresses significantly I don't expect to see more than 1 new player featuring in the PL regularly come October.
Out of interest, how many premier league games did we play our agreed best 11 last season?
I would guess it wasn't even half the games.
Injuries, fatigue, suspensions, loss of form etc will have a significant impact every season.

Out of interest, how many premier league games did we play our agreed best 11 last season?

Twice wasn't it?

Chelsea (H) - 2-0
West Brom (H) - 4-0

That's assuming we all tend to agree that our strongest eleven is:

Kane
Eriksen - Alli
Rose - Dembele - Wanyama - Walker
Vertonghen - Alderweireld - Dier
Lloris​

But by that logic tho you'd never sign anyone , to say nothing is guaranteed in life is stating the obvious rather than making a point , we are at the stage where we need 30 - 40 million players to make an impact the fact they could be duds is no excuse for not trying.

Yeah true, but Im not saying dont make signings.....Im just not using signings as some kind of garuantee of silverwear.
People saying we missed a trick the last two years, acting like we didnt sign anyone or try to strengthen.

Pochettino works a little different to Klopp and Pep, thankfully. He's a coach, and coaching takes time to build, thats why Im happy with academy and unknowns if thats the plan. Im not even sure if half the players being mooted are better than what we have.

Twice wasn't it?

Chelsea (H) - 2-0
West Brom (H) - 4-0

Kane
Eriksen - Alli
Lloris​
Yes I assumed that's what most think is our best 11.
So just 2 games out of 38 we had our strongest 11! I would have guessed around 10.
So you would think a new top signing would be able to play lots for us without having to drop players all the time.
So you wouldn't need to keep dropping players anyway.
New debate please?

Twice wasn't it?

Chelsea (H) - 2-0
West Brom (H) - 4-0

Kane
Eriksen - Alli
Lloris​

So in theory, if we have better luck with injuries, we should be better next season, with no signings at all.
Cant see where Id want to improve that 11.....players for cover and rotation definitely. But Id be happy if we could field that 11 for over half the season.

Injuries, fatigue, suspensions, loss of form etc will have a significant impact every season.
if you take the best XI as:

the 3-4-2-1 formation,

Son on bench,

then we had that for 2 (yes, that's two) matches.

Chavski 2-0
WBA 4-0

2 of the best performances Ive seen at WHL. Beating the best team in the PL (and deservedly) when they were well up for it and on the back of a 13 match winning run. Then absolutely tearing a Pulis team apart (6 man defence and all) and when their 'keeper Foster was the MoTM.

Our best XI was imo better than anyone else's.

if you take the best XI as:

the 3-4-2-1 formation,

Son on bench,

then we had that for 2 (yes, that's two) matches.

Chavski 2-0
WBA 4-0

2 of the best performances Ive seen at WHL. Beating the best team in the PL (and deservedly) when they were well up for it and on the back of a 13 match winning run. Then absolutely tearing a Pulis team apart (6 man defence and all) and when their 'keeper Foster was the MoTM.

Our best XI was imo better than anyone else's.
Agreed. I believe Chelsea being able to play their best 11 for way more games than us was the difference in them winning the league & us not.

Last edited:
As I said before it really does come down to he player in the modern game. If Kane wants to leave we will sell if he doesn't we won't. I suspect he is waiting for Madrid in the long term so would decline United on that basis.

I reckon its more likely that young English players would rather jump ship at Utd and come to Spurs than the other way around.

Great achievement with a cup double, granted, but what hope for any kids in their academy in the current set up?
No hope, no future. The Kane argument says it all.......you think they would spend 100M or whatever to land him. What message does that send out to their academy strikers

I reckon its more likely that young English players would rather jump ship at Utd and come to Spurs than the other way around.

Great achievement with a cup double, granted, but what hope for any kids in their academy in the current set up?
No hope, no future. The Kane argument says it all.......you think they would spend 100M or whatever to land him. What message does that send out to their academy strikers

Hopefully not given the general standard of their academy output. The simple reality is that acadmey prospects have little hope at any of the elite clubs. And it has absolutely no bearing on Uniteds transfer activity, as I said before they are in their Galitico phase. They would readily sign Kane and not give a seconds thought to Rashford. Just remember who their manager is as well.

You're still not getting it or understanding what they mean. Let it go sammy.

There is little to misunderstand mate.....if someone claims we need to sign players to directly improve the first team, then that isnt inclusive of what you are talking about. As in quality signings that will play due to fatigue, suspensions, loss of form and injuries.

Thats squad cover.

Last edited:
Hopefully not given the general standard of their academy output. The simple reality is that acadmey prospects have little hope at any of the elite clubs. And it has absolutely no bearing on Uniteds transfer activity, as I said before they are in their Galitico phase. They would readily sign Kane and not give a seconds thought to Rashford. Just remember who their manager is as well.

Utd arent an elite club as things stand...they are on the fringes of the top 6, and going through a turgid period domestically. The cup double was an envious feat, but their policy has led to real lack of identity.

They would sign Kane in a second, true, but why would he go there. They are a sorry shell of the SAF era

Utd arent an elite club as things stand...they are on the fringes of the top 6, and going through a turgid period domestically. The cup double was an envious feat, but their policy has led to real lack of identity.

They would sign Kane in a second, true, but why would he go there. They are a sorry shell of the SAF era

Now let's not embarrass ourselves here with such statements.

They are richest club on the planet, they are the biggest and most successful club in English football. They broke the world transfer record last season despite not being in the CL. They are every bit an elite club, their capacity dictates that.

We may not like this but it is a reality and players will still be desperate to join them, they pay the highest wages in the game firstly and secondarily their capacity means that they will get back to challenging for the highest honors soon. They are simply to wealthy for this malaise to continue.

There is little to misunderstand mate.....if someone claims we need to sign players to directly improve the first team, then that isnt inclusive of what you are talking about. As in quality signings that will play due to fatigue and injuries.

Thats squad cover.
Yes, you have misunderstood.
The chances are you could have a new player to start most of our games next season without dropping anyone of those best 11.
The fact is our starting 11 only played twice last season.
So your "who do you drop" argument is weak & irrelevant.
In nearly all our league games last season our best 11 wasn't available.

Anyway, you are still misunderstanding & unwilling to accept the "who do you drop" argument is crap.
I shall leave you to continue to run with it anyway.

Now let's not embarrass ourselves here with such statements.

They are richest club on the planet, they are the biggest and most successful club in English football. They broke the world transfer record last season despite not being in the CL. They are every bit an elite club, their capacity dictates that.

We may not like this but it is a reality and players will still be desperate to join them, they pay the highest wages in the game firstly and secondarily their capacity means that they will get back to challenging for the highest honors soon. They are simply to wealthy for this malaise to continue.
Couldn't care less about history and bank balance to be honest, they are a fucking mess and Spurs look far more likely to win the PL before they do.
Any Spurs player can see that, so if it's wages we are talking about then yes they are more attractive.
If a young English player is happy to still make 80 grand a week, then there's not much choice at the present time.
Spurs all day

Couldn't care less about history and bank balance to be honest, they are a fucking mess and Spurs look far more likely to win the PL before they do.
Any Spurs player can see that, so if it's wages we are talking about then yes they are more attractive.
If a young English player is happy to still make 80 grand a week, then there's not much choice at the present time.
Spurs all day

I wish I shared you confidence but most pundits and the book makers would say otherwise.

Yes, you have misunderstood.
The chances are you could have a new player to start most of our games next season without dropping anyone of those best 11.
The fact is our starting 11 only played twice last season.
So your "who do you drop" argument is weak & irrelevant.
In nearly all our league games last season our best 11 wasn't available.

Anyway, you are still misunderstanding & unwilling to accept the "who do you drop" argument is crap.
I shall leave you to continue to run with it anyway.

For a new player to play without dropping anyone, we either field 12, or they come in due to rotation for one of the myriad of reasons you mentioned.
That's squad cover and not a signing to directly improve the first 11.

We didn't play our best 11 a lot due to injuries. With no injuries, the new guy either sits on the bench, or someone gets rotated, or dropped.

If someone loses form during the season, and the new guy is used, then he wasn't signed to directly improve the first 11, he was signed as squad cover.

Not sure what the problem is with signing squad cover. We need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom