Summer 2018 transfer window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Isn’t it funny how when I said to certain posters about 8 wks ago that our transfer policy hasn’t changed, will not change, we wont be spending huge fees on “marquee” players, we wont be making wholesale changes, and the biggest transfers will be a few of the deadwood being replaced......and that they will all end up very disappointed again this window because they are supporting a non existent policy....and that they will just revert to slagging off Levy again.....

They disagreed. They read between the lines. Things were different. Poch gave an ultimatum that had “smashed Sammy’s views”......WAR CHEST OR BUST!!!!

Well here they are, crying over the lack of transfers.......all this with over a month of the window left open. Literally LOL

This summer was a good example. We signed good players but it was so late and with no pre season you pay
Mauricio Pochettino

The most important thing is to identify our targets and on July 3 when we start pre season they are here!
Mauricio Pochettino

Poch's words, from Poch's mouth, and his fucking lips were moving as they tumbled out. I can post the link or find more quotes if you like.

The fact is, despite last summers shambles where we struggled to strengthen before the actual season, let alone pre season started , Poch fought against all the odds and somehow managed to drag us over the finishing line yet again for CL qualification.

He's made it abundantly clear since he expects stronger, more decisive backing this time around.

The fact it has so far failed to materialise is a cause of concern and definately a debating point among our supporters, surely

I get where you're coming from but didn't he just say it was important to discuss and agree the next phase of the project whether that's with or without him? Like a builder completing your house ahead of schedule and thinking of the garden next, they would hope the job would be theirs but it's yet to be agreed and discussed.

Every manager on the planet says they would like new players in as soon as humanly possible, I don't think Levy specifically thinks "fuck Poch" but more about our capacity to fund everything, sure it's frustrating but what can you do?

Agents know they are in a strong position at the moment and will be pimping their players to everyone, we have to get in line, make our offer and wait, whilst we do this i'm sure we're looking at other deals in case our preferred route collapses... The World Cup complicates things. I would rather our player were given the respect and distance from the club so they could concentrate on the task at hand, hopefully this will be repaid by players signing new contracts. The sort of player to stall and ditch us is going to do this regardless...

Another complication could be the new stadium naming rights and new kit release, they will want as much PR and coverage for commercial partners as possible and nothing does this more than signing new players.

Pre season is still three weeks away, will have to see what happens before then.

This summer was a good example. We signed good players but it was so late and with no pre season you pay
Mauricio Pochettino

The most important thing is to identify our targets and on July 3 when we start pre season they are here!
Mauricio Pochettino

Poch's words, from Poch's mouth, and his fucking lips were moving as they tumbled out. I can post the link or find more quotes if you like.

The fact is, despite last summers shambles where we struggled to strengthen before the actual season, let alone pre season started , Poch fought against all the odds and somehow managed to drag us over the finishing line yet again for CL qualification.

He's made it abundantly clear since he expects stronger, more decisive backing this time around.

The fact it has so far failed to materialise is a cause of concern and definately a debating point among our supporters, surely
Read what I wrote. "He wants players in for "PRE-SEASON". ALL mangers want this!! I wrote this in my reply to you, so please stop writing the same thing and acknowledge what has been said.

This is NOT a "showdown", why do you see it as such? It's actually fucking "normal".

As I said, it all depends on who our targets are. E.G If we are after de Ligt (assuming we sell Toby) then it would appear that we find ourselves up against Man City, Utd. Barca, Juve and Bayern. If this is true then that would make us probably 5th or 6th choice on the face of it. We are far more competitive than we have ever been before, so our chances are improved, it would also be more of a likelihood that he would see more playing mins with us than the other clubs (but under close inspection maybe not). But even if our interest is the most serious and he likes our project and the terms offered, all the other clubs mentioned with the possible exception of Juve (although we are near to an equal financial footing with them) could outbid us, so why would Ajax sell to us? If you were the boss of Ajax you would want the best price possible for your player and if you have the richest clubs in the world after your player why would you sell to the first bidder? You would wait, you would drag this out to the very last day, you would do this because it's the best possible thing to do for your Club, as the seller it's in your clubs best interests to do this (just as they did with Sanchez last season). Assuming that they are not fighting tooth and nail to keep him.

Pre-season hasn't started.

BTW - Last summer wasn't a shambles, not sure even know the meaning of that if you label our business last summer as a shambles. Fucking Hell.

Last edited:
This doesn't even factor in that we might even have deals done already. Just choosing not to unveil them.

I know it is unlikely but it could be the case since it is a world cup year that we will wait to announce signings until after the cup
Maybe. But I do get the impression that our targets (those heavily linked with in press) are players not at the World Cup. I think if a deal had been done then it tends to get announced swiftly when completed. Currently player new contracts may well fall into that bracket though??

Pretty depressing that we can't even seem to get a deal for a championship player from an almost bankrupt club
Depressing you say?

giphy.gif

Maybe. But I do get the impression that our targets (those heavily linked with in press) are players not at the World Cup. I think if a deal had been done then it tends to get announced swiftly when completed. Currently player new contracts may well fall into that bracket though??
Could be. Not sure exactly how things like release clauses or such works but I read that barca has a deal with Sevilla for Lenglet that will go into effect on July 1st when his release clause activates.

So maybe we are in some form of situation like that with 1 or 2 players. But as you said above. Selling clubs are going to be dragging things out for as long as possible.

Isn’t it funny how when I said to certain posters about 8 wks ago that our transfer policy hasn’t changed, will not change, we wont be spending huge fees on “marquee” players, we wont be making wholesale changes, and the biggest transfers will be a few of the deadwood being replaced......and that they will all end up very disappointed again this window because they are supporting a non existent policy....and that they will just revert to slagging off Levy again.....

They disagreed. They read between the lines. Things were different. Poch gave an ultimatum that had “smashed Sammy’s views”......WAR CHEST OR BUST!!!!

Well here they are, crying over the lack of transfers.......all this with over a month of the window left open. Literally LOL
Surely our policy would have to change with Poch putting a lot of emphasis on us taking risks. Anyway, it's obvious that our old transfer policy isn't going to make us title challengers

Melting seems to be ramping up to fever pitch.
I’m not the brightest bloke in the world but I’m relatively confident that Poch doesnt do broken promises and would be out the door if he had been let down by the board. World Cup year was always going to be tricky. Players have indicated around the globe that they are focussing on it & will make decisions about their future after it. Of course there are players like Kane who know they want to commit & get it done, but players like Kane are a very rare breed who have absolute certainty where their future lies. Players like Toby & Moose have been up front and said they are waiting until after the tournament to decide. Clubs themselves are waiting to see how the tournament pans out & whether any of their stars come home injured or in need of a longer pre season break.

TLDR - There’s no need to panic. Poch knows what he’s doing & where it’s all going. He’d fuck off sharpish to pretty much any club in the world if he felt that the piss was being taken.

No we've been challengers twice. A challenger is the last club left in the race. It's semantics on the validity of the challenge, how many points off that challenge. (Man U were challengers this season, albeit that challenge was over sometime before the season was concluded).
We were never in the race with Leicester - Sky made you believe that - same with Utd this year when City lost 2 on the trot. Utd were NEVER challengers after November

Back
Top Bottom