Summer 2020 Transfer Window Rating

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rate our window

• 10/10

Votes: 26 9.7%
  • 09/10

Votes: 144 53.7%
  • 08/10

Votes: 78 29.1%
  • 07/10

Votes: 12 4.5%
  • 06/10

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • 05/10

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 04/10

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • 03/10

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 02/10

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 01/10

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Question for you all:

If we sign Joe Rodon in the next 2 weeks, will it affect your score?

For me it would add +0.5 (so up to 8.5), at least if Levy negotiates a better deal than the 18m-20m reported.

Given the reaction from Swansea fans that even 18 million is far too low (and the reaction from Cardiff fans hoping we sign him) I think if we get one of the championship's best CB's for 14 mil or less it's a good investment. Most of this window has been more focused on the present (which I love), but doesn't hurt to bring in one for the future if the opportunity is right. No reason he can't be a starter in the Europa either, especially if any other CB's get injured. And according to swansea fans, Birch knows the dire financial situation Swansea are in, and may be looking to exploit that.
Those that have already voted 10/10 would increase 10.5/10

And we can only assume that if we'd signed Skriniar, they'd already be 11/10

That is my impression as well. How can you 'rate' a window a day after it shuts when it's impossible to judge whether the players will be good for us or not in the longer term?

I think you can only really cast judgement on the excitement it gives us as fans and the apparent ambition shown, rather than its success.
Every single year it seems the "winner" of the transfer market ends up being quite the opposite, Everton have taken the crown the last 2 years whilst absolutely bombing in the league, sacking manager after manager. Utd spunking hundreds of millions and continue to go backwards (at best stay as shit as they were the previous season) and sack yet another manager. Even us when we sold Bale. Scum when they bought Ozil, then Holding, then Lacazette, then Saliba, then Pepe, now Patey.

I just don't understand why anyone gives a fuck and doesn't wait to see if these players are any good (to the vast majority of fans most players bought in no one has seen them play or indeed heard of them before), or need time to settle and gel, are right for the Mangers style of play etc...

Fine to take a view on positions that needed strengthening have been addressed but that's about it.

I'm all for everyone being happy though, think that an atmosphere surrounding a club is important but just as fans were happy with getting Jose last year, for many that evaporated quickly when we were shite and were getting humped by Norwich etc...

I think we've got an incredibly strong squad of players, I think we have great depth across every position with the exception of 'keeper (and that's only because I don't rate Hart who it appears has been promoted above Gazza) and pleasantly surprised that Jose is actually using the squad by rotating it (something he's not noted in doing previously).

Only slight issue for me is too many players in the squad now. Selling 1-2 more players and sending Gedsen back would've made it perfect.

So the summer window where we spent £0 was a success as we got the the CL final that season and got top 4? :mourthumb:
That's how YOU define a window. NOT me. How do you know how I rated that window?

So what to you is a good window? Spunking tens of millions on a player you've never heard of or hardly ever seen kick a ball?

What did you think of our "magnificent 7" when we 'sold Elvis and bought the Beatles'?

Were you wanking furiously when we bought Sissoko for £30m on transfer deadline day? (Ironically, so many people that were delighted by it were all Levy outers, all came out online and praised Levy for doing the deal and spending some money, they literally didn't give a fuck if he could in fact pass a football).

:harrysmile:

Last edited:
What I like about this window is that we have made some sensible buys with PL established players who in theory can slot straight in (Hojbjerg, Doherty). Bale and Hart also know the league.

Vinicius I will have to wait and see how he turns out as we haven't had the best recent record at buying strikers. What is good with him though is that he will have time to bed in, get to know the players and hopefully get to make some cameo appearances rather just be thrust in to games.

The player I am probably most excited about is Reguilon. From the little I have seen he seems hungry and lively and quick. A good attacking threat but able to recover situations with his pace.

That's how YOU define a window. NOT me. How do you know how I rated that window?

So what to you is a good window? Spunking tens of millions on a player you've never heard of or hardly ever seen kick a ball?

What did you think of our "magnificent 7" when we 'sold Elvis and bought the Beatles'?

Were you wanking furiously when we bought Sissoko for £30m on transfer deadline day? (Ironically, so many people that were delighted by it were all Levy outers, all came out online and praised Levy for doing the deal and spending some money, they literally didn't give a fuck if he could in fact pass a football).

:harrysmile:
How do YOU know thats how i define a window? You said you cant judge a window till the season is over?
So my question to you is "was the window where we spent £0 sucessfull or not based on the fact we got to a CL final and made top 4?"
It's not a hard question is it?

With the Summer 2020 transfer window set to close shortly*, what are your thoughts about our signings, sales and loans?

Signings - £64.7m (reported)

[11/08] Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg - Southampton (undisclosed - reported £15m)

[18/08] Joe Hart - Burnley (free transfer)

[30/08] Matt Doherty - Wolverhampton Wanderers (undisclosed - reported £15m)

[19/09] Sergio Reguilon - Real Madrid (undisclosed - reported £32m)

[19/09] Gareth Bale - Real Madrid (loan fee undisclosed - reported £0m / £250,000 per week)

[03/10] Carlos Vinícius - Benfica (loan fee £2.7m - option to buy £38.2m)

Sales - £13m (reported)
Kyle Walker-Peters - Southampton (undisclosed - reported £12m)
Jan Vertonghen - Benfica (free transfer)
Luke Amos - Queens Park Rangers (undisclosed -
reported £1m)

Loans
Troy Parrott - Millwall
Oliver Skipp - Norwich City
Jack Roles - Burton Albion
Shilow Tracey - Shrewsbury Town
Timothy Ayoma - Lincoln City
Juan Foyth - Villarreal
Ryan Sessegnon - Hoffenheim

Undetermined (no shirt number) / Late Bids
Danny Rose - (I'm going to Milan, no?)

Cameron Carter-Vickers - (possible move back to Swansea City)

Paulo Gazzaniga - Everton
Joe Rodon - Swansea City

*Domestic window for non-International and non-Premier League player signings is open until 16th of October
Before the window, I would have like us to buy a proper LB better than Davies(Reggie!), a CB better than Dier(didnt do it ), a DM/CM better than Winks(Hojberg), a backup RB (Doherty_, a better RW than Lucas(Bale, woo) and a second striker (Vinicus). Oh and a pointless signing for laughs(Hart)

Almost everything except the CB got done. Excellent transfer window. The best business weve done since Levy got here.

How do YOU know thats how i define a window? You said you cant judge a window till the season is over?
So my question to you is "was the window where we spent £0 sucessfull or not based on the fact we got to a CL final and made top 4?"
It's not a hard question is it?
Seeing as we got the CL final and Kangeroo Cup semi-final it was a successful window, in isolation that's the only way to take it within those parameters.

If we made the CL final and semi-final of Kangaroo Cup this season would you attribute that to this window as being successful?

If you chose to widen those parameters then it could easily be argued that a) Poch was too choosy and failed to bring in a player b) Levy didn't back Poch which may or may not have lead to Poch feeling time to move on add a c) + d) + e) etc.... NONE of us even know how to piece that together because we don't understand or know the details behind what happened.

The main point remains, you can't judge a window without seeing what fucking happens as actioned by said window. You don't know if the players are good, you don't know if the players need time to settle or gel. You don't know if one player turns out well the other not or visa versa. You don't know if they are all brilliant but the manager's tactics turn out to be shit. It's all guesswork, break out the crystal ball because literally, that's what everyone is doing by rating a window now.

By all means assess each player if there's prior knowledge, by all means, assess the business on players that have left or on the incoming players have addressed a preexisting problem area. It could be that the impact of the previous window bringing in Lo Celso and Ndombele has a far, far greater influence on this season than those players we've just bought in the past couple of weeks on account of the fact players are no longer injured, they're fit, settled and gelled with their teammates.

Last edited:
Why the disagree jonomarch jonomarch ?
It's fine to disagree, but at least have the balls to stand up and say why.
You look a bit of a twat disagreeing with people's opinions in a thread asking specifically for people's opinions then not even participating in the discussions yourself.
I dont have to explain myself really i just thought it was a nine out of ten transfer window thats all. you don't have to go all beast mode and shit.

Seeing as we got the CL final and Kangeroo Cup semi-final it was a successful window, in isolation that's the only way to take it within those parameters.

If you chose to widen those parameters then it could easily be argued that a) Poch was too choosy and failed to bring in a player b) Levy didn't back Poch which may or may not have lead to Poch feeling time to move on add a c) + d) + e) etc.... NONE of us even know who to piece that together because we don't understand or know the details behind what happened.

The main point remains, you can't judge a window without seeing what fucking happens as actioned by said window. You don't know if the players are good, you don't know if the players need time to settle or gel. You don't know if one player turns out well the other not or visa versa. You don't know if they are all brilliant but the manager's tactics turn out to be shit. It's all guesswork, break out the crystal ball because literally, that's what everyone is doing by rating a window now.

By all means assess each player if there's prior knowledge, by all means, assess the business on players that have left or on the incoming players have addressed a preexisting problem area. It could be that the impact of the previous window bringing in Lo Celso and Ndombele has a far, far greater influence on this season than those players we've just bought in the past couple of weeks on account of the fact players are no longer injured, they're fit, settled and gelled with their teammates.
I do agree with you and that you can't properly judge a window until we see how good the players are, but i am happy that we seemed to have identified weak areas of the squads and bought players in to try and improve weak areas. I also like that we are buying some PL proven players in Doherty and Hojbjerg so we dont end up with another Ndombele taking a season to adjust, and we cant forget about Bale, of course every player could flop, but im just happy that from the outside it looks like Levy is backing his manager, so now its over to Jose to show us all why he is on £15 million a year, and i think he will.

I do agree with you and that you can't properly judge a window until we see how good the players are, but i am happy that we seemed to have identified weak areas of the squads and bought players in to try and improve weak areas. I also like that we are buying some PL proven players in Doherty and Hojbjerg so we dont end up with another Ndombele taking a season to adjust, and we cant forget about Bale, of course every player could flop, but im just happy that from the outside it looks like Levy is backing his manager, so now its over to Jose to show us all why he is on £15 million a year, and i think he will.
I think we are on the same page here.

I like Reggie (based on knowledge of him previously), I've liked what I've seen from him so far but he's also a bit like Aurier was in his fist few games, fully committed but perhaps over compensating for a more intense league(??) so fully expecting a few errors and some dodgy moments to come in his first season. Great for Davies to recover between games, which should enable him to commit more energy in the games he does play. Two good options with the new guy with a huge upside if settles well.

PEH - He was excellent against Newcastle and was very good against 10 men Utd. I bring up 10 men because prior to the sending off both he and Sissoko were really struggling in that game (the team not so and should have scored a couple more just before the sending off). Their pen came as a direct result of PEH and Sissoko losing their men, just after this Utd were still playing the ball unopposed on the edge of our box (down to them to sort this out). But when down to 10 he was very good.

Hart - I think is shit

Bale - Complete unknown for me. I've no idea what level he's at, he himself says he's not the player he was and that he doesn't see himself as the player skinning oppo defences with his pace. In fact, I see him as a total bonus, I've zero expectation on him, if he gets injured and only plays 4 times then I still applaud us trying. If he stays fit but isn't that hot anymore, then no problem we've got plenty of other options. Or he simply could be still brilliant and ripps the oppo to shreds. Win/win.

Vinicius - Never heard of him, never seen him play. But he's a striker, so it is an area that has now been addressed but he could be Soldado or Janssen.

Doherty - Solid RB/WB not as good as Aurier as he doesn't dominate the entire side of the pitch (just the attacking phases, defensively inferior to Aurier). But we now have two good RB's just by having the rotation will benefit both in terms of fitness and output of intensity as per LB.

Like that we've found loans for other players.

I also like that Jose gets the new signings on the pitch early, whilst there was some logic to Poch working on new signings integration into the squad, it was hugely frustrating that many didn't get early mins under their belts.

We've covered basses but other than that I think the biggest impact I'm expecting on this team this season in terms of "new" players contributions is from Lo Celso and Ndombele (and possibly Dele depending on what's really going on there). Lastly Jose's approach to games given all these players available to him, please be more fucking expansive.

I think we are on the same page here.

I like Reggie (based on knowledge of him previously), I've liked what I've seen from him so far but he's also a bit like Aurier was in his fist few games, fully committed but perhaps over compensating for a more intense league(??) so fully expecting a few errors and some dodgy moments to come in his first season. Great for Davies to recover between games, which should enable him to commit more energy in the games he does play. Two good options with the new guy with a huge upside if settles well.

PEH - He was excellent against Newcastle and was very good against 10 men Utd. I bring up 10 men because prior to the sending off both he and Sissoko were really struggling in that game (the team not so and should have scored a couple more just before the sending off). Their pen came as a direct result of PEH and Sissoko losing their men, just after this Utd were still playing the ball unopposed on the edge of our box (down to them to sort this out). But when down to 10 he was very good.

Hart - I think is shit

Bale - Complete unknown for me. I've no idea what level he's at, he himself says he's not the player he was and that he doesn't see himself as the player skinning oppo defences with his pace. In fact, I see him as a total bonus, I've zero expectation on him, if he gets injured and only plays 4 times then I still applaud us trying. If he stays fit but isn't that hot anymore, then no problem we've got plenty of other options. Or he simply could be still brilliant and ripps the oppo to shreds. Win/win.

Vinicius - Never heard of him, never seen him play. But he's a striker, so it is an area that has now been addressed but he could be Soldado or Janssen.

Doherty - Solid RB/WB not as good as Aurier as he doesn't dominate the entire side of the pitch (just the attacking phases, defensively inferior to Aurier). But we now have two good RB's just by having the rotation will benefit both in terms of fitness and output of intensity as per LB.

Like that we've found loans for other players.

I also like that Jose gets the new signings on the pitch early, whilst there was some logic to Poch working on new signings integration into the squad, it was hugely frustrating that many didn't get early mins under their belts.

We've covered basses but other than that I think the biggest impact I'm expecting on this team this season in terms of "new" players contributions is from Lo Celso and Ndombele (and possibly Dele depending on what's really going on there). Lastly Jose's approach to games given all these players available to him, please be more fucking expansive.

Agree with everything here. Especially the overlooked first 15 prior to Lamela's contribution. It was not the processions it became.

Back
Top Bottom