Summer Transfer Thread 2023! - Closed (Maybe)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rate this window out of 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
So we are slightly more than 50 Hours from the end of the transfer window and it feels like we have been left short again. The fact is we sold our greatest ever goal scorer on the 11th of this month and then went to make no signings for 19 Days and do not look close to making any signings.

The fact is we still have half a squad that has already been deemed not good enough many which continue to plague us in these cup ties when we rotate the squad.

I am even doubting we make another signing this window especially since we probably need a cf, winger, cb(1 or 2), and backup keeper. I am a bit confused with the point of paying some of the highest ticket prices in the league when it looks like we cannot compete.

This claim that Ange plays his wingers on the outside on their natural foot is one of the most selectively applied notions in recent times (which on TFC is saying something!).

Basically, if it's regarding a players that peeps want it's get's thrown out of the window...... If it's re: (eg) Kulu or someone unwanted; it's a bad fit and they should either swap sides or be binned off.

Never change.......:freundgoal:
I think you're right to some degree but the main point is that we need a winger with a different profile to our current ones; someone who can actually beat a defender 1v1 and stretch the pitch. That doesn't mean we need wingers who always stay on the touchline and can't invert, but that we can't play Son on the left who can't dribble and plays narrow while simultaneously play a slow winger like Kulusevski on the right who also can't beat his man.

You need balance in a team and that means both right and left footed player, as well as players who can play both wide and narrow.

Playing Son on the right and instructing him to stay wide and just beat his man and cross the ball would be equally pointless, he just doesn't have the skill set.

This claim that Ange plays his wingers on the outside on their natural foot is one of the most selectively applied notions in recent times (which on TFC is saying something!).

Basically, if it's regarding a players that peeps want it's get's thrown out of the window...... If it's re: (eg) Kulu or someone unwanted; it's a bad fit and they should either swap sides or be binned off.

Never change.......:freundgoal:
Funny that Ange says how much he wanted Mitoma at Celtic.

I wonder if everyone thinks he’d have played him RW?

Johnson went from 1/5 to 1/2 to join Spurs
I was quite lukewarm on Johnson, but after the crap I saw last night, I can't be arsed wiht find the fit and all that.

Get him in, even if it takes £50m .

Lol, Ronaldo didn't leave 2 years ago, he went this year. And he's as old as father christmas as was probably hurting them.

Mate - John Thomas John Thomas definitely said NO other prem league club would have sold their star player without having a DIRECT REPLACEMENT LINED UP.

None of those i mentioned did. You can make excuses for why they didn't but they still didn't.

They're not evil, just totally shite at this 'running a club for Glory over profits' thing.

You basically can't defend them anymore, so just attack those that gave up on them a long time ago.

That's pretty much it, isn't it?

No they're an evil empire, planning to take down THFC, if we don't protest now who knows where we'll be in 5 years.

Looking back, it’s interesting how reminiscent our squad is to when Pochettino took over, especially in terms of sales. In his first three windows, we cleared out a number of players who didn’t fit the system, failed signings, youth players who never kicked on, players with attitude issues, and players it just became obvious weren’t going to be good enough. A lot of those players were pretty decent, but all of them were sales that needed to happen and I think we’re about to go through that process again over the next two windows.

Dawson, Sigurdsson, Lennon, Kaboul, Adebayor, and Chadli we’re all solid or very good players in their time here, but just clearly didn’t fit the system or weren’t quite good enough and had to go, I think we’ll see the same with PEH, Dier, Perisic, Sanchez, Forster, Lloris, and Davies. Moura already gone.

We had to clear out a number of failed signings in Soldado, Paulinho, Holtby, Chiriches, Capoue, Stambouli. Very likely Ndombele, GLC, Sess, Reguilon, Gil, Spence and Rodon will be gone by next summer.

Our squad then was cluttered with a number of youth players who had made the first team but weren’t really capable of playing for a club trying to compete at the top of the table like Livermore, Mason, Naughton, Townsend, Pritchard, and Carroll. Winks has already gone and I think Tanganga, White, Parrott, Whiteman/Austin will all be following shortly after.

Unfortunately we probably won’t get everyone out that we want this window, but I’d predict by the end of next summer, we’ll only have a handful of players who were here as recently as the Mourinho era. I wouldn’t even be shocked if they club looked to sell Son next summer while he still has value.

The Ange era is coalescing around Vicario, Romero, VDV, Porro, Udogie, Bissouma, Sarr, Maddison, and maybe Richarlison and Kulusevski if their form picks up. Everything else is a moving piece and others will have to earn their spot or be replaced in the rebuild.

Good post - except for one major point.

Poch sold off all the youth players pretty much other than Kane - a couple of whom needed to be kept on as squad players, for example Milios Veljkovic who played as Werder Bremen's CB marking Harry Kane when he made his debut for Bayern - Veljkvic has made circa 200 appearances for Werder Bremen and has 2 dozen caps for Serbia. Is he a top class player ? No but a perfectly capable squad player, and 'Club Trained'

So yes Poch raised £!00m+ which was invested in players such as Sissoko, but nobody lightyears ahead of some of those he sold.

But that was the start of our HG shortage as Poch failed to bring through any HG players other than Winks in 6 years - an appalling record.

Fast forward today, and our HG options are :
Club Trained : Skipp, Austin (3rd GK) ........... and Tanganga, White likely
to be sold on and another 3rd GK in Whiteman.

Trained at other clubs affiliated to The FA or FAW :
Maddison, Davies, Forster ........ and Spence and Sessegnon (the last 2 likely to be loaned out, whilst Davies and Forster likely to leave in 12 months).

Had Poch done a decent coaching job to bring through youth (rather than refuse to loan out youth players etc), we had the opportunity to bring through enough players to fill the HG player spots we need to fill with minimal need to buy in players. Mourhino helped a little by loaning out Skipp, whilst Conte was a disaster for youth development.

I suspect Ange has no option other than to try to coach some of the Academy Youth into the first team, whilst also scrabbling round to buy in a couple of the top HG players available in the market - Maddison is an excellent player but there are very few of that calibre ever available.

And that means whilst Ange can relatively easily deal with assembling a squad with 17 overseas trained players, finding 8 HG players of the right quality (including 4+ Club trained players) is a real headache, and that's 1/3rd of the squad.

Back
Top Bottom