Summer Transfer Thread 2023! - Closed (Maybe)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rate this window out of 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
Angel Gomes is getting a lot of hype for his performances for England U21s. Was a No 10 type at United but seems to have found himself as a deeper-lying midfielder. Sure a lot of clubs will be looking at him now, but kind of what we’re missing in that controlling No 6 type player..

So you’ve signed up on the ENIC’s cuckold list then? That’s a quick, radical change, given that you were against ENIC a few months ago.

Interesting you've chosen to assume that on the basis of a 'yawn' gif. Probably best you engage your brain in future (assuming you have one).

Honestly, I think I’m done giving you chances to post something intelligent. Get on my ignore list.

Angel Gomes is getting a lot of hype for his performances for England U21s. Was a No 10 type at United but seems to have found himself as a deeper-lying midfielder. Sure a lot of clubs will be looking at him now, but kind of what we’re missing in that controlling No 6 type player..
he is 5 foot 6

for a 6 we need a big presence there like a palhinha

Statistically, half the people that boo are below average at their own job —

This is my new favourite statistic. Fucking excellent!!

Up there with the fact that people who swear the most and don’t correct their spelling or grammar mistakes are the most highly intelligent individuals in society. Brainy bastards. Allegedly.

Also I’m now aware that half the people that boo are average or in sone cases above average at their jobs.
So I’m guessing statistically speaking there is a small percentage who are the top performers in their chosen field.

Hotbed of facts and information this place.

He signed a year before Berbatov left. Though he could have been bought a year prior for the inevitable, sure.

But he started 11 league games in his first season. He was 100% signed as back up.
I think Bent was more of a first team player in waiting than a back-up per se. My guess is that they knew Berbatov was going to be leaving in the summer of 2008 and Bent was seen as an "opportunity" to prepare the squad for Berbatov's departure. £16.5m was our record transfer fee at the time and that's not the sort of money you spend on a player you don't intend to use consistently in the first team.

I didn't like the signing, even then. He was a downgrade on Berbatov, Keane and Defoe and I don't believe in Players in Waiting. If they're not good enough to get into the team straight away, they're usually not good enough at all.

Bent did a reasonable job for us in 08/09 but he wasn't a £16.5m player. He was basically Gary Lineker without the predatory instinct.

B
Where is that info from?
Tottenham manager Ange Postecoglou has managed to convince Daniel Levy to reject an offer for Tanguy Ndombele, with the France midfielder ready to be handed a shock lifeline in north London.

So Ndombele is back to stay?

Contract extension?

65 mil for a kid who's got just the one season under his belt? Scrap that...65 mil for a kid who's played just the 17 PL games (13 starts) in his career to date? Really?

No matter how promising (or HG) he is, paying that would be ridiculous.

I get where you're coming from, my man...we're desperate for CB and all, but that's way OTT here, even by your standards 😂
Kid is that good.

It’s an overpay, obviously.

That’s what it would take to get him to Spurs from Chelsea.

60m Colwill
45m Tapsoba

Seriously rebuilding the squad to win long term.

If we end up with

35m VdV
45m Tapsoba

It could end up just as good but you are paying less because you don’t get a homegrown spine in your team

GLC was good for us in the Poem under Jose, but underwhelmed since, partly due to injuries. The fact that Emery, who is smart, detail oriented, and knows GLC very well, wants him for Villa in the PL shows it's not as cut and dry as you think.

So you would sacrifice GLC so everyone else will play out of position? Maddison injury means we'd have to play Kulu out of position at RCM? Play one of our many LWs at RW? Play Bentancur out of position at RCM? Bissouma I'm already counting as first choice LCM.

Why would you want one injury to cause multiple players out of position? This is why selling GLC when we have barely any attacking midfielders makes no sense.

He's not elite, but he's definitely good enough for our bench. He starts for Argentina, Xavi also wants him for Barca. He has weaknesses, but not as bad as you make out.
If emery sees something in him then that just shows our dick of managers jose and especially conte couldn’t be bothered to work with players and get them to adapt. They are lazy coaches who only work with players ready made for their shite tactics. Emery has won a few trophies with nowhere near resources those two fuckers have had. I’d say Ange prbly likes to work with players as well.

I think Bent was more of a first team player in waiting than a back-up per se. My guess is that they knew Berbatov was going to be leaving in the summer of 2008 and Bent was seen as an "opportunity" to prepare the squad for Berbatov's departure. £16.5m was our record transfer fee at the time and that's not the sort of money you spend on a player you don't intend to use consistently in the first team.

I didn't like the signing, even then. He was a downgrade on Berbatov, Keane and Defoe and I don't believe in Players in Waiting. If they're not good enough to get into the team straight away, they're usually not good enough at all.

Bent did a reasonable job for us in 08/09 but he wasn't a £16.5m player. He was basically Gary Lineker without the predatory instinct.

I look at Bent as the same way I saw the Richarlison signing who we also signed for a record fee.

Someone who may be something for us in future but most definitely back up to already established players in the team.

Bent was never a right fit for us and I always felt was such an odd signing at the time. Selling Defoe in January that year was stupid

Kid is that good.

It’s an overpay, obviously.

That’s what it would take to get him to Spurs from Chelsea.

60m Colwill
45m Tapsoba

Seriously rebuilding the squad to win long term.

If we end up with

35m VdV
45m Tapsoba

It could end up just as good but you are paying less because you don’t get a homegrown spine in your team
Not seen him play but why are Chelsea willing to let him go if he is that good and would they really sell him to us?

Back
Top Bottom