Summer Transfer thread - 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Richy is actually prolific with his minutes in this system. Not the world's greatest hold up man but can be enough of a focal point when needed and always makes runs to occupy defenders.

His issue is fitness. If we have another striker competing with him and available when he's injured it isn't a bad thing.

The issue we have is players technical enough to keep the ball and punish teams in the dangerous transition situations we always create.

Absolutely.

1,212 minutes as a centre forward this season. (equivalent to about 13 and a half games). 11 goals and 4 assists...

His longest run of starts all season was 10 games between 10th December to 17th February. And in that spell, he scored 9 goals.

He only started one more league game since then (Chelsea away).

Not been fit enough but has been more than good enough when available and starting games.

They don't really rate him that highly and think he's not worth 12m.

I've heard enough. We're finished it we get him.

jokes aside I had a quick scroll through that stoke forum and I can't recall ever seeing a more mixed bag of takes on a player. Some think he's indispensable and they should build the team around him, others say he's overrated and theyre better without him.

In general the #6 is one of those positions I dont think you can trust the average fan all that much cos plenty just dont watch the games that closely in area of the pitch. I recall seeing some horrific takes from our own fans over the years - both overly positive and negative - on the likes of Winks, Palacios, Parker, Dier, Wanyama, and now Bissouma. I've heard people call Busquets overrated and Rodri a plodder. I just don't trust average fan takes on this role.

Equally the team's style of play will come into how a #6 peforms - I'm not 100% sure if you even shoved prime Busquets into a Championship relegation dog fight he'd come up smelling of roses.

Think with Burger we'd have to see more game footage to judge, if anyone has any that'd be great and then we can let Daniel know what to do.

I've heard enough. We're finished it we get him.

jokes aside I had a quick scroll through that stoke forum and I can't recall ever seeing a more mixed bag of takes on a player. Some think he's indispensable and they should build the team around him, others say he's overrated and theyre better without him.

In general the #6 is one of those positions I dont think you can trust the average fan all that much cos plenty just dont watch the games that closely in area of the pitch. I recall seeing some horrific takes from our own fans over the years - both overly positive and negative - on the likes of Winks, Palacios, Parker, Dier, Wanyama, and now Bissouma. I've heard people call Busquets overrated and Rodri a plodder. I just don't trust average fan takes on this role.

Equally the team's style of play will come into how a #6 peforms - I'm not 100% sure if you even shoved prime Busquets into a Championship relegation dog fight he'd come up smelling of roses.

Think with Burger we'd have to see more game footage to judge, if anyone has any that'd be great and then we can let Daniel know what to do.

It's also tough to be sure what role we'd see him for.

The links to players like Calafiori and Chalobah make it pretty clear they want a versatile player that can play several roles.

Calafiori is meant be a CB that is good carrying the ball, passing and being able to operate in tight midfield spaces. Eevry chance they think he could cover CB, LB and maybe even 6.

This Burger character seems to have a very similar profile. Can't be a million of those around so Stoke fans judging him purely based on playing #6 in a struggling championship team that doesn't play with the ball much probably isn't really helpful judging what he'd be able to do in this team.

Burger's main weakness apparently is his lack of pace so for that reason I don't want him.

I'm happy about Richi staying as I wasn't sold on any of our potential striker targets anyway. Sure we might still bring one in but tbh I probably prefer to versatile attacking options rather then an out and out striker.

You're shocked that Richarlison doesn't want to go to the Saudi league?
Not shocked. But I saw it as a possibility - his Brazilian mates have gone out there and it hasn't harmed their international career, and I hoped he'd want to move away from us for more game time. When we bring in a striker next season he's getting even less minutes and his chances of breaking back into the Brazil team are next to nil.

Ultimately he's nowhere near good enough for what we need in a CF and is the only player who can fetch a good fee this summer. Will mean cutting back on our outlays for winger/CF/DM.

Not shocked. But I saw it as a possibility - his Brazilian mates have gone out there and it hasn't harmed their international career, and I hoped he'd want to move away from us for more game time. When we bring in a striker next season he's getting even less minutes and his chances of breaking back into the Brazil team are next to nil.

Ultimately he's nowhere near good enough for what we need in a CF and is the only player who can fetch a good fee this summer. Will mean cutting back on our outlays for winger/CF/DM.
completely untue. His goals to minutes return last season was probably the best in the whole league. His injuries are the issue.

He also formed a very good understanding with Brenan Johnson and was at the end of a lot of Johnsons whipped in crosses. He doesn't work as well with Sonny or Kulu though as they're not that type of player but with Johnson they clicked.

Burger's main weakness apparently is his lack of pace so for that reason I don't want him.

I'm happy about Richi staying as I wasn't sold on any of our potential striker targets anyway. Sure we might still bring one in but tbh I probably prefer to versatile attacking options rather then an out and out striker.

So you fear Burger may get cooked due to his lack of pace ?

He seemed to do fine making the Brazilian team his first season with us when he get next to no minutes.He was starting over Jesus at the time.

completely untue. His goals to minutes return last season was probably the best in the whole league. His injuries are the issue.

He also formed a very good understanding with Brenan Johnson and was at the end of a lot of Johnsons whipped in crosses. He doesn't work as well with Sonny or Kulu though as they're not that type of player but with Johnson they clicked.
Best in the whole league 😂

His goal tally was ok. Problem with Richy is if he's not scoring he's offering next to nothing. Absolute black hole in possession.

Just read this on Burger

apparently he's tall and long legs but quicker than most players his height and covers loads of ground in defensive transitions. Also wins a lot all his duels and 1v1's.

Hard to know as none of us ever saw him but fans often think tall players are slower. Not everyone can be VDV.

I don't know tbh. I don't think we are getting Calafiori though if Juve are sniffing and Motta has already gone there.

Back
Top Bottom