Summer Transfer thread - 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Donley, Devine and Lankshear are all 19 and despite being highly rated still considered nowhere near ready for the first team. It Gray and Bergvall go straight into first team contention ahead of them at 17/18 then I wonder how highly or club rate our youth.
Less highly than a few fans who see a few minutes and think they're the best in the world.

Would Archie play much outside of injuries or Europa league? Never seen him play

Spurs could be playing some 60 games next season (Pl, EL and domestic cups) - compared to last season where despite only playing 40 games we were running out of rotation options

I can't see many players being involved in more than circa 45 matches, even if we are lucky with injuries, so every chance he'll get playing time - how much playing time likely to depend on how he does at EB and/or DM.

VDV is very different though.

He is 5 years older than Gray and was a well established Bundesliga defender when we signed him. Hugely different situation.

I hope Gray comes in and becomes an absolute star for us, but considering we already have Sarr and Bergval as young promising talents in his position, and considering the money we’re going to have to pay to get him in, I think we should be going for someone who is going to be a guaranteed improvement on what we already have in midfield.

And I get what you’re saying about Ange wanting young hungry players, but there’s a big difference in that regard between a VDV and an 18 year old with 1 season in the Championship.
Mate, VDV had 1 season in top flight Bundesliga. Hardly well established.

I get you with the 5 years on him, but my point isn't that he will just slot in, it's more than we really don't know.

I'll be honest, I fully expect us to bring in an 'oven ready' player, and would be very disappointed if we don't, but I like us bringing in real talent that is a bit of a rough diamond, then polishing it up until it shines. That's where we've had the most success with elite players, making them rather than buying them.

The difference now is that we are in a position to keep them rather than having to sell them.

It does make you wonder I thought Ange should have given more opportunities to a few last year when we had an injury crisis. Why wasn’t Donelly tried while Maddison was out for months same with Dorrington or Philips when we had no CBs?
Maybe because he felt they weren't ready yet, and a baptism of fire would do more harm than good?

Back
Top Bottom