Tanguy Ndombele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What does it matter? Because nobody else could be arsed it's OK for the most expensive player in the history of Tottenham to do it too?

Ndombele has talent. Does he have the athleticism and the attitude to actually use it properly at this level? At this point we don't know, but the signs are not good. If the lad played for another team we'd be laughing at how they paid £65m for a player who just walks around or falls over when he has to defend.
It's a stat that seems to matter to you because you brought it up. You signal out him because the manager signalled him out.

If stats are your thing, then statistically he was one of our best performers that game.

If you choose to dance to Jose's tune then fill your boots, loads more to come from Mr Teflon.

What does it matter? Because nobody else could be arsed it's OK for the most expensive player in the history of Tottenham to do it too?

Ndombele has talent. Does he have the athleticism and the attitude to actually use it properly at this level? At this point we don't know, but the signs are not good. If the lad played for another team we'd be laughing at how they paid £65m for a player who just walks around or falls over when he has to defend.

You're just signalling him out because Jose did - clearly you can't form your own opinion.

Its the same with some of those who previously worked with came out with this as well

Talk to anybody in France about Ndombele and one word recurs: nonchalance. It is not meant as a compliment and takes in the impression that he has not always been the most hard-working player. Perhaps it is because his talent is so big that everything comes easily to him.

“He was nonchalant,” Sullivan Martinet, his youth team captain at Guingamp, told Ouest France. “He was so strong that we were expecting more from him, more consistency. He didn’t try maybe as much. He didn’t give the impression of always being 100%. With hindsight, what harmed him was his behavior off the pitch. We were less talented but we wanted it more than him.”

and

Ndombele had another problem at Guingamp – a propensity to be slightly overweight – and it was cited among the reasons for the refusal to give him a senior deal. “People told me he could put on weight,” said Philippe Le Maire, who was on the club’s youth staff. “To put it in simple terms – he built his bottom half before the top.”

All from an article from July last year well before Jose joined us.

But there is no validity in these statements is there - anyone who has watched him in a Spurs shirt can tell you he is always giving 100% and is in peak psychical fitness.

Last edited:
Ndombele:
Goals: 2
Assists: 4
Dribbles completed per 90: 4
Key passes per 90: 1.6
Tackles per 90: 2.45
Interceptions per 90: 1.4
Fouls committed per 90: 1.3
Passes per 90: 58.4
Completion: 87%

Sissoko:
Assists: 2
Dribbles completed per 90: 1.6
Key passes per 90: 0.5
Tackles per 90: 1.5
Interceptions per 90: 0.9
Fouls committed per 90: 1.6
Passes per 90: 50.8
Completion: 88%

Weird how it works isn't it?

One of these players gets more abuse than the other. And it isn't the one who performs worse.

What other stuff is that?

Fitness, running, tackling, tenacity, aggression, movement.... Acclimatising to the requirements of the league and the expectations of his wage-packet.

Do people genuinely still think it was his responsibility to stop Wolves(??) from scoring? Sigh.

(Right now, as of when the season finished, he couldn't do much of anything past 60mins).

Sigh indeed, mate.... I didn't mention any specific games.

Look; I've backed him to succeed; doesn't mean to say I'm gonna close my eyes to what he has lacked thus far under TWO different mangers.

Ndombele:

Sissoko:

One of these players gets more abuse than the other. And it isn't the one who performs worse.

Sissoko has less talent than Ndombele? Who knew?!

The £65m we spent on Ndombele is a reflection of the trust we put in him to take the club forward. He is the most expensive player we have ever bought and plays in the most important position in the team. So far he hasn't shown that our trust was well placed.

If he wants the fans to give him time, all he has to do is run around. Fans will give anyone time if they run around. What fans don't like is people walking around and pointing. Like Bielsa and Poch used to say, "running is everything". A player who can't or won't run is of no use.

Fitness, running, tackling, tenacity, aggression, movement.... Acclimatising to the requirements of the league and the expectations of his wage-packet.

Sigh indeed, mate.... I didn't mention any specific games.

Look; I've backed him to succeed; doesn't mean to say I'm gonna close my eyes to what he has lacked thus far under TWO different mangers.
He's made the same number of apps as Lo Celso!

We are all aware there have been issues on his fitness, not the first or the last player to not be up to speed in their first season, in fact, the list for that department is longer than the one's that shone in their first season.

What are you expecting from him with tackling, tenacity & aggression? Is this why we've bought him? Are these qualities to his game that were noted prior to his arrival? That he's a midfield monster tackler and an aggressive fuck like Vidal or somesuch? I must have missed that.

Ndombele:

Sissoko:

Sissoko gets plenty of stick and rightly so he's not good enough at football to be first choice for us

Ndombele has a lot of talent but anyone who watched him could see he wasn't fit enough Burnley game aside even he gassed within 50 minutes and often just didn't run after anyone in defense

The £65m we spent on Ndombele is a reflection of the trust we put in him to take the club forward. He is the most expensive player we have ever bought and plays in the most important position in the team. So far he hasn't shown that our trust was well placed.

If he wants the fans to give him time, all he has to do is run around. Fans will give anyone time if they run around. What fans don't like is people walking around and pointing. Like Bielsa and Poch used to say, "running is everything". A player who can't or won't run is of no use.

I think if he had played the exact same way all season but we were winning games, no one would bat an eyelid. But because our form is poor, the fanbase had to blame someone. Couldn't blame Poch, he won us 2nd place 3 years ago. Can't blame the likes of Vertonghen, Kane, Son, they're golden.

Lets blame the record signing. Most of this fanbase had never seen Ndombele perform before. And if they had, it was the games against City, where he dominated their midfield yet showed no less work rate than he does here. But Lyon never lost. Just like when we win, Ndombele doesn't get blamed or shafted. Come on against City, we win, he gets an assist not a single mention of his lack of defensive contribution...

People blame Ndombele because they expect something from a player they don't know, who doesn't or never has done what they're expecting.

Running around and contributing nothing is better than not running around as much and contributing more?

Poch and Bielsa have also won nothing in Europe.

I have criticised Ndombele when he deserves it. But I knew the player we were getting when he signed. I knew we weren't getting a run around the pitch like a madman Kante type or a defensive monster like Dembele.

I knew we were getting a highly skilled midfielder who can dribble through a midfield in a phone box without losing the ball AND produce something on the end of it.

Ndombele:

Sissoko:

You put more effort into that than he has into his football all fucking season though, which is kind of the point.

He's made the same number of apps as Lo Celso!

Pretty sure I didn't mention number of appearances. Do YOU have a point in bringing them up?

We are all aware there have been issues on his fitness, not the first or the last player to not be up to speed in their first season, in fact, the list for that department is longer than the one's that shone in their first season.

Did I say he's the only player in history to struggle on that front? Nope.

Try lookin back at my first post with less defensive eyes (and less distain for the gaffer) and you'll see I'm not being particularly harsh in my assessment.

What are you expecting from him with tackling, tenacity & aggression? Is this why we've bought him? Are these qualities to his game that were noted prior to his arrival? That he's a midfield monster tackler and an aggressive fuck like Vidal or somesuch? I must have missed that.

I'm noting what the league will demand of him... Messut Ozil at CM simply won't work here.

Look at YaYa Toure... Unless he fancied it he was a fucking liability in this league.

The transfer fee is a reflection of the market. He's fee BTW was £55m not the £65 you quote.

That makes him cheaper than Pulisic (how's his first season going?), Becker (was £10m more and a 'Keeper!), Rodri (how's his 1st season going?), Keper (£11m more LOL!!!), Lukaku (how did he get on at Man U for £20m more?), Pogba (£50m more, worth it??), Marhez went for more and was shit in his first season. a ton more where this came from but got bored.

It's a bit difficult to run around when you are carrying an injury.

I think if he had played the exact same way all season but we were winning games, no one would bat an eyelid. But because our form is poor, the fanbase had to blame someone. Couldn't blame Poch, he won us 2nd place 3 years ago. Can't blame the likes of Vertonghen, Kane, Son, they're golden.

Lets blame the record signing. Most of this fanbase had never seen Ndombele perform before. And if they had, it was the games against City, where he dominated their midfield yet showed no less work rate than he does here. But Lyon never lost. Just like when we win, Ndombele doesn't get blamed or shafted. Come on against City, we win, he gets an assist not a single mention of his lack of defensive contribution...

People blame Ndombele because they expect something from a player they don't know, who doesn't or never has done what they're expecting.

Running around and contributing nothing is better than not running around as much and contributing more?

Poch and Bielsa have also won nothing in Europe.

Who is blaming him specifically for our bad season? He is just one of many players who have been consistently poor this season. We had high expectations and he has failed to meet them so far, that's it.

A few bright moments against fodder like Norwich or a disheveled 10-man City is not enough to make people think it was £65m well spent.

It's a bit difficult to run around when you are carrying an injury.

If he's fit to train consistently then he must be fit to run. Unless he is concealing an injury from the staff, like Trippier did last season, in which case he is only hurting himself. Lamela isn't even fit to train yet he's running around more than Ndombele.

Who is blaming him specifically for our bad season? He is just one of many players who have been consistently poor this season. We had high expectations and he has failed to meet them so far, that's it.

A few bright moments against fodder like Norwich or a disheveled 10-man City is not enough to make people think it was £65m well spent.

I had high expectations for the TEAM.

I knew of my expectations for Ndombele. Have they been met? No, mostly due to fitness, injuries and lack of playing time.

Has he disappointed me? Not really. It's a brand new country, new league, had fitness problems, been called out publicly and barely had a year.

Hopefully he's here when football returns and can perform the way I know he can.

But if anyone is expecting a defensive masterclass from him every week, I'd suggest they change their expectations or actually realise that isn't his game.

I saw an article in a Spanish paper earlier today which showed how many midfielders Barcelona have. It’s about 10. They won’t be signing any others without offloading half of those first.

Pretty sure I didn't mention number of appearances. Do YOU have a point in bringing them up?

Did I say he's the only player in history to struggle on that front? Nope.

Try lookin back at my first post with less defensive eyes (and less distain for the gaffer) and you'll see I'm not being particularly harsh in my assessment.

I'm noting what the league will demand of him... Messut Ozil at CM simply won't work here.

Look at YaYa Toure... Unless he fancied it he was a fucking liability in this league.
I'm not having a pop at you fella, why are you so defensive?

I brought up apps, NOT you. Because I was making a point of my own. One that I think is relevant, given the fact they have made the same number of apps.

He's not the only player to struggle, that's the point I'm making.

I'm not being defensive, quite the opposite, I'm on the offensive. I have complete distant for the gaffer so far because he's been utter shite, he's a long, long, long way to go to turn around that viewpoint of mine. He was appalling for that specific Burnley game, a real low point and there have been many. under him so far.

Ya Ya Toure was brilliant and would get in any team in the period. Again, not noted for being a monster aggressive midfielder, so why expect that of him?

I saw an article in a Spanish paper earlier today which showed how many midfielders Barcelona have. It’s about 10. They won’t be signing any others without offloading half of those first.

Hes not going anywhere - of the very few who have the money no one will pay the price.

It’s like expecting Madrid to want and pay £60 million for Pepe- it’s simply not happening

Ndombele was LAST.... You can't massage that.

Sprints 11th.
Top speed 10th
And what are the actual numbers so a comparison can be made? What is the context? We set up to park the bus against them, just how many sprints can you perform? and over what distance should they be? At what intensity? Absolutely an absolutely fucking pointless piece of information.

I'm not having a pop at you fella, why are you so defensive?

Look at your initial reply..... If you're in no way aggrieved by my initial post then why the "sigh" why the "oh we're back here are we" comment?

I brought up apps, NOT you.

Then why the exclamation point? (Misleading at best; especially as you had yet to attempt to establish your point until below....)

Because I was making a point of my own. One that I think is relevant, given the fact they have made the same number of apps. He's not the only player to struggle, that's the point I'm making.

GLC spent a longer sustained period out with injury, yet blatantly more able/willing to engage in the dirty work?

Your point is far from substantive here. At best it's moot because it doesn't mean Ndomeble has any LESS work ahead of him to reach the bar required of him.

I'm not being defensive, quite the opposite,

Defensive of Ndombele.

If that's just an construct to shoehorn in your grievances against the gaffer then.... Oh, lookey here:

I'm on the offensive. I have complete distant for the gaffer so far because he's been utter shite, he's a long, long, long way to go to turn around that viewpoint of mine. He was appalling for that specific Burnley game, a real low point and there have been many. under him so far.

Totally off topic in relation to my post which rattled your cage.

Ya Ya Toure was brilliant and would get in any team in the period. Again, not noted for being a monster aggressive midfielder, so why expect that of him?

That's a rose tinted view.... He was often critiqued for 'phoning it in 'and on numerous occasions would find himself 'pocketed' by inferior players.

I haven't gone as far as saying Ndombele should be a "monster".... Reign it in, mate.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom