Tanguy Ndombele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Probably one of the best transfers in the history of the league, Leicester paid £5.5m for him if I'm not mistaken.
And signed Mahrez previously for around £400,000 (apparently). Pretty savvy.

Even the £32,000,000 Chelsea signed him for was a bargain.

We signed Sissoko for £2,000,000 less that very window.

I still can't believe Chelsea managed to get him for that. It was early in the transfer window too if I recall correctly? Bizarre that Leicester didn't play hardball.

3 JULY 2019

Talk to anybody in France about Ndombele and one word recurs: nonchalance. It is not meant as a compliment and takes in the impression that he has not always been the most hard-working player.

“He was nonchalant,” Sullivan Martinet, his youth team captain at Guingamp, told Ouest France. “He didn’t try as much. He didn’t give the impression of always being 100%.”

Ndombele had another problem at Guingamp – a propensity to be overweight – and it was cited among the reasons for the refusal to give him a senior deal.

So are we going to pretend this wasn’t posted?

Or just refuse to acknowledge it

:kanehand:

So are we going to pretend this wasn’t posted?

Or just refuse to acknowledge it

:kanehand:

I think the Ndombele fanboys are just trying to figure out how they can blame Jose for an article that came out 6 months before he came here and discusses his time in France.

Its hard to continually spin the "Jose has held him back" narrative when everything that has been said about him here are the exact same concerns he has had his whole career.

3 JULY 2019

Talk to anybody in France about Ndombele and one word recurs: nonchalance. It is not meant as a compliment and takes in the impression that he has not always been the most hard-working player.

“He was nonchalant,” Sullivan Martinet, his youth team captain at Guingamp, told Ouest France. “He didn’t try as much. He didn’t give the impression of always being 100%.”

Ndombele had another problem at Guingamp – a propensity to be overweight – and it was cited among the reasons for the refusal to give him a senior deal.

"Talk to anybody in France about Ndombele and one word recurs: nonchalance"

obviously none of our scouts spoke with anyone in France. Actually they are so inept I doubt they even watched him that much. Joke of a setup.

Same was said (and was true) of Berbatov but he was a brilliant player nonetheless.

I want Ndombele to work out but that's a very different case.

You really need midfield players to get back into position with a bit of urgency when attacks break down, lax movement in a striker is less of a problem.

It's Ndombele's propensity for carrying extra weight and running out of gas that's the issue which I don't remember being much of a problem with Berbatov.

My main problem with him is that I can’t see him being able to play a full 90 minutes. He’s gassed after 20 minutes. Fully appreciate his injuries but it feels like it’s just not going to work out.

Same was said (and was true) of Berbatov but he was a brilliant player nonetheless.

A striker can just about get away with it. A central midfielder cannot, not in today's game and not in the PL. Anyway he seems to have given up, the talk is he wants to leave, he doesn't want to play for this manager. Instead of working hard to prove the manager wrong he would rather take the easy route and walk away.

A striker can just about get away with it. A central midfielder cannot, not in today's game and not in the PL. Anyway he seems to have given up, the talk is he wants to leave, he doesn't want to play for this manager. Instead of working hard to prove the manager wrong he would rather take the easy route and walk away.

I don't think it's that simple at all. His season went pear-shaped and there were several reasons for it. If the manager and player are willing there's certainly a chance he can become a massive asset on the field.

I think this is a case of where Levy wouldnt be so stupid to throw a £60m player away without giving him the chance to show hes worth £61.5m...

On a serious note, lets hope a tinker in the midfield system with the extra players and hopefully quicker transfers than usual to have a bit of verve and steel about the squad will bring this man alive.

a very simplistic view I know

Levy kinda does scout the players for us though. His hands are right in the dough of the strategies for player targeting.

He is much, much too heavily involved in our transfer business.

......So not scouting then?

A deal will likely have to tick his boxes (ergo what you describe as "strategy"), but I've never seen any indication that he's actively rating players and assessing their skills and ability.

Happy to be shown otherwise tho'.....

Levy kinda does scout the players for us though. His hands are right in the dough of the strategies for player targeting.

He is much, much too heavily involved in our transfer business.

No way. Far too busy running the business. He does the deals based on targets presented to him but he doesn't scout players.

Whoever is scouting our players needs some help or guidance but that's another story.

A deal will likely have to tick his boxes (ergo what you describe as "strategy"), but I've never seen any indication that he's actively rating players and assessing their skills and ability.

Well I think my point is that the box-ticking has too much weight in our process. The field of transfer targets is overly narrowed.

Ndombele fit Levy's criteria for age and sell-on value and allowed him to go another round with his old man crush Aulas at Lyon.

Now, Ndombele oozes with class, and if that's what Steve Hitchen and Poch said to Levy, they're dead right. I'm just making a broader point about Levy's involvement exceeding that of other chairmen to the detriment of setting up the sort of professionalized structure that is where the business is going in the way that our stadium is where the business is going.

At Manchester City Levy the representative of the club's ownership, Levy the CEO of the club's business operations and Levy the director of the club's football operations are three different people. The days of the do-it-all Chairman are over, these clubs are too big and complex of organizations now.

Back
Top Bottom