Tanguy Ndombele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I can respect this view, even though I'm not as optimistic. Just very annoying how some users think this is no longer an issue.

When you compare a player like Bergwijn, PEH, or a recent addition to the PL like Fernandes covering every blade of grass week in week out, Ndombele's lack of zip is incredibly irritating.

Dembele got a lot leaner once he started playing regularly for Poch and it helped him a lot, let's be patient. This is still his first proper season in the PL and it's clear Ndombele is naturally quite heavy.

He's not getting niggling injuries and starting regular matches so clearly he has made an astronomical leap over last season already. I'm much more worried about Gio who has gone backwards from last season in both his play and the number of injuries.

Hahaha - what?

Dembele was one of the most technically skilled players in the Prem and used to glide past players 1v1. He was nothing like Winks who cannot beat a man and simply plays is sideways to the CBs

No, you're right.

Dembele was de Bruyne mk I in possession.

I totally agree with your point about successful passes getting lower the more ambitious they are, totally.
Please don't compare Dembele to Winks though. It makes my soul hurt seeing them compared.

I only meant in terms of their final pass.

Its stupid comparing Ndombele and Dembele when it comes to there passing percentages because Ndombele is actually ambitious

Dembele would regularly beat a man, just to pass sideways.

And that's coming from someone who's favorite Spurs player is Mousa Dembele.

Stupid People GIF by memecandy

Man, just shut the fuck up. Man's gone for a few years, and fools already forgetting what a beast he was.

Every Spurs player rated him as the best in the team, Poch was just about ready to suck his dick, and Trippier was still complaining about us selling him after he left for Atletico. He made Winks look good for a short time.

Am I gonna have to link a Dembele highlight reel here?

Ey?

Dembele is my favourite Spurs player of all time. So I definitely haven't forgot what kind of animal he is.

But to say Dembele has a 92% pass completion and Ndombele has a 74% pass completion as a way of saying Ndombele can't play deep midfield is an even worse take than saying Ndombele can't play 90 minutes.

Dembele would beat a man. Pass sideways. Beat a man. Pass sideways.

Every. Single. Time.

Now, not too much of an issue. As he's already beaten the man and likely created the space for others. But I just wish he'd actuslly be abit inventive and ambitious with his passing.

Id hate to put up stats that tell me Winks actually makes MORE forward passes a game.

But please post as many Dembele compilations as you want. They're always great for seeing him beat a man with wonderful skill.

Will probably show you however they're not that great for his final pass.

I read most of Dembele's youth football was centered around 5 or 7 a side and no keeper. The object was to get the ball through 2 narrow cones.
This explained in my head why he played the way he did. He rarely took shots when perfectly placed to do so and, as you say, often did a load of hard work getting the ball up the pitch only to dink it off to some one else.

Still an utterly fabulous player who looked to natural with the ball at his feet. That game where he just embarrassed Wilshire all match was superb.

I read most of Dembele's youth football was centered around 5 or 7 a side and no keeper. The object was to get the ball through 2 narrow cones.
This explained in my head why he played the way he did. He rarely took shots when perfectly placed to do so and, as you say, often did a load of hard work getting the ball up the pitch only to dink it off to some one else.

Still an utterly fabulous player who looked to natural with the ball at his feet. That game where he just embarrassed Wilshire all match was superb.

I think it was the street football he'd play. To score, you'd stop it on the line or between two cones as you put it

Which is incredible considering he started his career as a striker. Exuberant youngster who wanted to play striker like everyone, I guess. Anyone with his skill set though was always destined for a deeper role, such is his ability to keep possession for the team.

That whole 14 days was superb.

Man Utd, Woolwich, Juve, Liverpool I think it was. Majestic.

Best midfielder I've ever seen live at Tottenham. A bull in a tutu.

Last edited:
Winks cannot dribble to save his life - so the original statement he's the same as Winks in possession is grossly untrue

Should have probably worded it better in terms of passing and not possession including dribbling.

Both are safe passers. Dembele could get away with it though as hes alot more aesthetically pleasing on the ball.

It was a dig at the guy saying Dembele 92% pass completion in comparison to Ndombeles 74% possession was any way more impressive.

Winks cannot dribble to save his life - so the original statement he's the same as Winks in possession is grossly untrue
It's not even just dribbling, he was much much better at tackling and levering players off the ball. He had such a commanding presence in midfield, that be brought a calmness in possession that not even PEH has been able to replicate.

He worked well alonside pretty much all our midfilders back then, Poch played him in a 2 with Dele, Winks Wanayama and Dier. As long as Eriksen was up top to do the creative passing and stuff, we never had to worry about the right "fit" or "style" or "attributes".

How are people bashing Ndombele for getting tired around 70 minutes? He’s pressing hard, tracking back and then rushing forward in attack covering as much if not more ground than any other position.

Sorry he’s not one of the 2% of people in the sport who never tire. He’s third in the team for number of presses, second most int+tackles and is 11th in total minutes. Players above him are either defenders, GK or Hojbjerg/Kane/Son who have 2-3 more appearances. It’s not like Ndombele is playing 20 minutes a game here.

Out of all of our problems and areas needing an upgrade, Ndombele’s position is far from the top of that list.

I think he could have stayed on. The wrong player came on for him though. He should have put on dele or vinny if JM was taking of Tanguy . Lucas should have been on for berg or son if anything. Like for like subs at 3-0 no need to out players on out of position. Lucas has been awful recently so didn’t deserve to come on.
We need him for the next games as without him our gameplay is dreadful. No sense risking him whatsoever, especially when the game is won.

He can’t last 90 minutes, if he does the next game might suffer for it. IMO.

How are people bashing Ndombele for getting tired around 70 minutes? He’s pressing hard, tracking back and then rushing forward in attack covering as much if not more ground than any other position.

Sorry he’s not one of the 2% of people in the sport who never tire. He’s third in the team for number of presses, second most int+tackles and is 11th in total minutes. Players above him are either defenders, GK or Hojbjerg/Kane/Son who have 2-3 more appearances. It’s not like Ndombele is playing 20 minutes a game here.

Out of all of our problems and areas needing an upgrade, Ndombele’s position is far from the top of that list.
Really don’t get this all this ‘he’s blowing out of his arse’ after x amount of minutes bollocks. Looked like he’s had plenty left in the tank, the last however many times he’s been taken off. Thing is Jose knows that he has to keep him as fit and available as possible, as we have no other midfielder capable of doing what he does. Without him our midfield is toothless going forward.

Really don’t get this all this ‘he’s blowing out of his arse’ after x amount of minutes bollocks. Looked like he’s had plenty left in the tank, the last however many times he’s been taken off. Thing is Jose knows that he has to keep him as fit and available as possible, as we have no other midfielder capable of doing what he does. Without him our midfield is toothless going forward.

The lazy narrative of the modern football fan, that's all.

The ones who watch Sissoko and see some defensive god. Or those who think Doherty is better than Aurier.

If people actually watched football, more importantly watched Ndombele, they'd see he wasnt any more tired than Harry Kane in our last game.

But God forbid we sub Kane off 3-0 up with 15 minutes to go.

I want an absolute masterclass from Tanguy tonight. He's shown flashes and had decent full games. But I'd love to see him absolutely rip it up and properly start his journey toward legend status. nI honestly think he's got the talent.

On another point I did have a stifled guffaw when I heard Hodd call him "endumbelly" the other day against Leeds.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom