The “They’re really going to have a World Cup in QATAR?” Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

There's a famous Iraqi song sang to me by an Iraqi.

There is a boy across the river with an arse like a peach.
But alas I cannot swim.

Scans better in their language but means the same.

And the Crusades had the best of intentions. We were trying teach the heathens Christianity. Nothing purer in the world than that. If I was from that region I'd be more pissed off with a fan turning up to a game dressed up as a Gulf War Veteran. The Crusaders were pure of heart. Innocents doing the Lords' work.

Bloody Qataris can't take a joke shock.
The Lionheart was almost certainly gay....Blondin and all that....the locals would have hated him....

Mp.

Also, as mummy mummy alludes to, his mother, Eleanor of Aquitaine, was something else. I would rate as probably the most influential female monarch in British history, possibly with the exceptions of the two Elizabeths.

She was first married to the weak Louis VII of France before he had the marriage annulled on the grounds of both consanguinity (she didn't provide a male heir to the French throne) and that she liked to 'put it about' with other men given Philip wasn't really up to it. She then married Henry II (who was up to it, with her and numerous other women) before he became king, and they had numerous offspring, including of course Richard and John.

She didn't take any crap from Henry - she was wealthy in her own right from the Aquitaine territories in south-western France - but they ruled well for a period of time until the family ended being as dysfunctional as anything from a Jeremy Kyle TV show (you may need to ask someone who this person is...), and Henry imprisoned her for 16 years. However, she still had huge influence with the powerbrokers of England and France who had no time for Henry.

The Angevin Empire period of English Plantagenet reign covers a fascinating time in (mainly) English history, where the crown gradually moved from France to England, along with legal and constitutional changes we still have as the basis of English law to this day - namely the writing of Magna Carta. It's my favourite time of English history.
The Lion in Winter. One of my favourite films....

The Lion in Winter. One of my favourite films....
It is very good. It is also quite strange that there aren't many (that I've come across) more films on the time - given how much historical dramas we have, it's a late 1960s film that's still the benchmark of the period.

It is very good. It is also quite strange that there aren't many (that I've come across) more films on the time - given how much historical dramas we have, it's a late 1960s film that's still the benchmark of the period.
I suppose a film of a near era is Rob Roy. Edward not Henry but a similar feel.

If someone dressed as Moor came to Spanish GP no one would give a fuck.

Pathetically touchy. And the crusades went nowhere near Qatar which didn't even exist then ffs.

People are so trained to be woke it's subconscious now.
It's tricky. If someone from Middle East came to World Cup held in Europe dressed as Saracen or Sultan everyone would just probably think it's quite fun. Vikings or Roman legionaries, all ancient or most of medieval stuff should be fine despite them murdering and raping everyone.
You probably wouldn't dress as conquistador for a World Cup held in South America..
Quatar, best not to go at all regardless of what you wear. Fuck this World Cup, it's a disgrace

Difference is (and part of my point) is that it's 2022 and we should know better by now.....

But some countries insist on living not in the past, but living by an outdated fairytale made up god mantra that is so out of date that it's stopped being merely offensive... it's just plain outdated and boring to hear now.
I was thinking the same thing myself. Why do you need some fantasy BS religious control system to run your life, when surely all you should aim for is to be the best person you can, and to treat others with respect whilst you're alive.
It just makes my head spin when I try and comprehend certain organised religions/faiths.

WTF??

Sort yourself out.
I was merely pointing out that for some, HOWEVER good the football is (or isn't) THIS particular World Cup will forever be tainted with controversy... it's inescapable.

The same as you now can't mention all the good work Savile did, or the great films Weinstein was overseeing without first remembering their odious behaviour.
That twas all!

As it happens (pun intended) I happen to agree with you on the football... some of the matches/freak/shock results have been incredible.

But when we look back on it in years to come, no one's first reaction will be 'great tournament' (even if it is)... it'll be 'remember that year they moved the world cup to winter, just so Qatar could 'buy/host' it... Crazy times?

Chelsea Peretti Eye Roll GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine
Yeah, that again...
I know, I know, it's just SO boring now innit?!!!

Time to move on, when's the next Qatar match on??
Just checked, Oooh, it's today... goody goody!!

What a great story they've told so far.... I can't wait to see what the heroic underdogs do next!
Go underdogs!

Difference is (and part of my point) is that it's 2022 and we should know better by now.....
Totally agree
But some countries insist on living not in the past, but living by an outdated fairytale made up god mantra that is so out of date that it's stopped being merely offensive... it's just plain outdated and boring to hear now.
I agree with this too, but the belief in an "outdated fairytale made up god mantra" isn't confined to the Middle East, albeit to different degrees.

The point I was making was that the examples you quoted (apartheid-era South Africa and Nazi Germany) were easy wins. Of course, if we took the values we hold today back in time, we'd react differently. But contemporaries had different values.

Take homosexuality as an example, since that's one of the main criticisms of Qatar. Go back to the '66 World Cup in England and you'll find homosexual acts were still a criminal offence in the UK. I suspect many of our parents and grandparents had no qualms with this. Had the World Cup been held in Qatar in 1950 instead of Uruguay, I doubt anyone would have cared what their stance on homosexuality was.

Cultures' moral compasses move at different speeds. I'm sure Qatar and others will eventually follow a similar path to us when it comes to attitudes towards homosexuality. It may even be that one of the positive things to come out of this World Cup is an acceleration of that shift.

Given how comments can sometimes be misinterpreted, I should add that none of I've said is intended to delegitimise the criticisms of Qatar today.

Totally agree

I agree with this too, but the belief in an "outdated fairytale made up god mantra" isn't confined to the Middle East, albeit to different degrees.

The point I was making was that the examples you quoted (apartheid-era South Africa and Nazi Germany) were easy wins. Of course, if we took the values we hold today back in time, we'd react differently. But contemporaries had different values.

Take homosexuality as an example, since that's one of the main criticisms of Qatar. Go back to the '66 World Cup in England and you'll find homosexual acts were still a criminal offence in the UK. I suspect many of our parents and grandparents had no qualms with this. Had the World Cup been held in Qatar in 1950 instead of Uruguay, I doubt anyone would have cared what their stance on homosexuality was.

Cultures' moral compasses move at different speeds. I'm sure Qatar and others will eventually follow a similar path to us when it comes to attitudes towards homosexuality. It may even be that one of the positive things to come out of this World Cup is an acceleration of that shift.

Given how comments can sometimes be misinterpreted, I should add that none of I've said is intended to delegitimise the criticisms of Qatar today.
I think the date of things is key....
You're right, had Qatar been awarded a WC 70 years ago, us English wouldn't give two shits about LGBT issues, let alone Women's rights.... but that's 'cos it was 70 years ago...

Thankfully, we've moved on from those dark days, been educated, and now see the previous errors in our ways.
Which is why, in 2022 there is justified outrage.

Yes, it might take Qatar another 50 years (or more) to 'catch up' with Western values... but that said, don't award them a GLOBAL COMPETITION with Western Counties competing...
award them it in 2072 or whenever it is they finally realise the 'God' they pin so much importance and 'culture' on is a racist, sexist, homophobic mysoginistic made up a coupla thousand years ago by equally racist, sexist, homophobic mysoginistic men no doubt!

It's an extreme example, but if it was their culture to rape and murder babies, would the West be expected to comply, and 'respect' local culture by bringing over and offering their own babies for ritual sacrifice..? No, 'cos it's fundemetally wrong!

So is stoning Gay people to death, and treating Women like 3rd rate citizens! We're allowed to have a voice, and disagree with those 'values'.

Just cos a Middle Eastern backwards nation decides it's their law/culture, doesn't make it right.
They're quick enough to flash their cash if it gets them what they want.... I thought Capitalism was a Western disease?!

Yet unfortunately, and inevitably, Middle Eastern money has spoken loudest to the West.... Moral compasses, scruples and human rights are easily bought it seems! Qatar are happy to throw money at a problem, as long as they get to spout their outdated, fundemetally wrong 'values' on the same Western countries they pretend to 'invite with open arms'!

Last edited:
Totally agree

All very valid points and well put.

As I've said before, the basic tenet of all religions is "Don't be a cunt".
Most people pick and choose which bits they agree with. The you have those that believe the whole thing and, for example, believe that homosexuals should be stoned to death as it says in the old testament.

Maybe all this critique may accelerate change in Qatar.
Of course, they should not have been given it in the first place, and that is something that FIFA should be condemned for.

But it is also legitimate to criticise Qatar for their laws as amnesty international have done for years.

Sigh you've missed the point in all this.

Of course you have to accept it, if you're over in that country which is the point Andros is making - I'm not saying that you have to respect it from afar, obviously their laws are barbaric which I don't agree with at all. But like any country you abide by their rules and legislation otherwise you'll face the consequences.

Unfortunately we are here because a corrupt organisation decided to award a the World Cup to them purely because they were bribed,
But why should you have to accept it?
It's not about respect either, of course no one in their right mind respects that view... but meekly accepting, and conforming to that ideology is also just ignoring the problem, and pushing it further under the carpet!
Yes, Qatar bought the world cup, and paid OBSCENE amounts of money to display to the world what a disgusting backwards nation they truly are.... money or no money, that's an expensive mistake!
...that's not the fault of the Qatari people or the citizens of that country who have grown up in a system to have certain beliefs...so if they have been programmed to believe that they will go to hell purely because of a certain ideology who are we to tell them any different?

I'm not trying to justify any of their beliefs by the way but I'm open mined enough to see where the other side are coming from.
Yet a baby thinks it's ok to dip his fingers in his own nappy and lick it... who are we to tell him any different? Fuck it, let him do it... the hell do I care, it's not even my baby!
Surely teaching someone the difference between right and wrong is called education? (sigh!) I agree, it's not the Qatari people's fault they have been brainwashed, but surely it's the responsibility of every responsible human being to educate them as to why their 'views' have been so badly warped, and how misinformed they are.

These aren't reasonable examples, in my view. If we could take our modern-day values back in time, we could find a whole load of wrongs to right... everywhere. A white person living in or visiting South Africa circa 1985 would, unfortunately, have a different perspective on apartheid to the one we have today. Same goes for attitudes towards Jewish people in and around 1940.
But that's the point... It's 2022, yet it IS happening today in parts of the world...

They've had all this time to LEARN from mistakes... and yet they still persist with an antiquated, middle ages notion that stoning ANYONE to death because of religious/political/sexual beliefs or orientation is OK... it's not ok. It's never been OK.

It wasn't ok in the past, but thankfully, MANY countries have moved on from this... and then there's Qatar!

I was merely pointing out that for some, HOWEVER good the football is (or isn't) THIS particular World Cup will forever be tainted with controversy... it's inescapable.

The same as you now can't mention all the good work Savile did, or the great films Weinstein was overseeing without first remembering their odious behaviour.
That twas all!

As it happens (pun intended) I happen to agree with you on the football... some of the matches/freak/shock results have been incredible.

But when we look back on it in years to come, no one's first reaction will be 'great tournament' (even if it is)... it'll be 'remember that year they moved the world cup to winter, just so Qatar could 'buy/host' it... Crazy times?

Yeah, that again...
I know, I know, it's just SO boring now innit?!!!

Time to move on, when's the next Qatar match on??
Just checked, Oooh, it's today... goody goody!!

What a great story they've told so far.... I can't wait to see what the heroic underdogs do next!
Go underdogs!
Think you are right!

When I think of the 1974 World Cup, the first thing that comes to mind is how Holland got a penalty early in the final.
Then Paul Breitner with a "crystal clear, absolutely unassailable!" Penalty equalized and small, fat Müller scored the winning goal!

In 1978, the first thing I remember is that when the trophy was handed over to the Argentina national team, the audience only cheered when the torturer passed Videla to Passarella!

This will also be the case with Qatar in a few years. DrecksFIFA, UEFA servants and DFB whiners!

But why should you have to accept it?
It's not about respect either, of course no one in their right mind respects that view... but meekly accepting, and conforming to that ideology is also just ignoring the problem, and pushing it further under the carpet!
Yes, Qatar bought the world cup, and paid OBSCENE amounts of money to display to the world what a disgusting backwards nation they truly are.... money or no money, that's an expensive mistake!

Yet a baby thinks it's ok to dip his fingers in his own nappy and lick it... who are we to tell him any different? Fuck it, let him do it... the hell do I care, it's not even my baby!
Surely teaching someone the difference between right and wrong is called education? (sigh!) I agree, it's not the Qatari people's fault they have been brainwashed, but surely it's the responsibility of every responsible human being to educate them as to why their 'views' have been so badly warped, and how misinformed they are.

But that's the point... It's 2022, yet it IS happening today in parts of the world...

They've had all this time to LEARN from mistakes... and yet they still persist with an antiquated, middle ages notion that stoning ANYONE to death because of religious/political/sexual beliefs or orientation is OK... it's not ok. It's never been OK.

It wasn't ok in the past, but thankfully, MANY countries have moved on from this... and then there's Qatar!

My guy, you've totally missed the point of all this - sorry everything you've said I've already replied to and made my point, I think it's just best to agree to disagree, seems like this is a highly emotional subject so I think that's it for me.

With respect, I think you're rebutting an argument I wasn't making.

Thank you for the information!

The organizer would have to intervene here and, according to STOP! to say!

But of course no one expects that from this insane, corrupt sect!

I hope that the European Football Association, at least after the World Cup - when they feel safe again - will have the courage to open their mouths - they've been able to do that against organized fans for years!

Corrupt bastards!

Back
Top Bottom