The “They’re really going to have a World Cup in QATAR?” Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Maybe that's why they cut the live feed momentarily whilst they were doing it?!

With respect, I think you're rebutting an argument I wasn't making.
Oh, must've got you confused with someone else... It's a bloody minefield on here, can't keep track!
Sorry.

I was merely rebutting the idea that hypothetically, if it were possible, of course we could take a time machine and right the wrongs of the past... but (I think) the point I was making, was that Qatar (or ANY country for that matter)  do have the benefit and luxury of 20/20 hindsight...
They don't NEED a time machine, if only they took notice, and acted on not repeating the mistakes of the past!

But not sure if that was the point you meant to make. Sorry for any confusion.

No, you don't have to respect archaic laws.
The whole world should be speaking out against it.

FIFA would never have awarded a World Cup to South Africa due to apartheid and the exclusion of one section of society.
But apparently it's ok for them to award it to Qatar because it's "only" gay people.
I agree. I don't know why it's acceptable to always say "it's their culture, we can't tell what to do" and just let them keep on treating gay people, women and others in the way they do.

Likewise it's a not a western culture that treats gay people as equals, it's the right culture. It's just that in the west we have better education and sense of humanity that other parts of the world where education is non-existent and life is cheap.

We need to start taking tougher lines with these countries - not just the arab ones but like China (over Uyghurs, executing prisoners for their organs and the other fucked up shit they get away with) and stop fucking enabling it.

I agree. I don't know why it's acceptable to always say "it's their culture, we can't tell what to do" and just let them keep on treating gay people, women and others in the way they do.

Likewise it's a not a western culture that treats gay people as equals, it's the right culture. It's just that in the west we have better education and sense of humanity that other parts of the world where education is non-existent and life is cheap.

We need to start taking tougher lines with these countries - not just the arab ones but like China (over Uyghurs, executing prisoners for their organs and the other fucked up shit they get away with) and stop fucking enabling it.
Imagine this, me and my friends keep coming to your neighbourhood, make up lies and kill a million people and steal from you etc etc. Then we tell you how to live your life and tell you what is right and wrong morally. Why the fuck would you ever want to take my word about whats right or wrong, I am the cunt that kills people because I want your resources.

Our countries cant tell them whats the 'right culture' and definitely cantbe enforcing it. We've got no moral superiority over them. Now the ones who havent been attacking their countries , they can have these discussions with them, not us.

Imagine this, me and my friends keep coming to your neighbourhood, make up lies and kill a million people and steal from you etc etc. Then we tell you how to live your life and tell you what is right and wrong morally. Why the fuck would you ever want to take my word about whats right or wrong, I am the cunt that kills people because I want your resources.

Our countries cant tell them whats the 'right culture' and definitely cantbe enforcing it. We've got no moral superiority over them. Now the ones who havent been attacking their countries , they can have these discussions with them, not us.
You missed the key word from my post - education.

If they become educated, they wouldn't need the rest of the world telling them how they live. They'd adjust themselves

It's quite upsetting and hard to accept that we just have to live with 20? 50? countries with values from the Middle Ages and they can abuse human rights because they are backward fucks obsessed with their deity because that's what they want to do.

Leads us back full circle, if we really can't tell Qatar to respect gays, women, construction workers, then they shouldn't be having a World Cup.

So where do you draw the line? Let's say you go to a country and the legal age of consent there is 10 years old, are we allowed to say anything then or do we just ignore it?

Imagine this: throughout history, and for generations past, your own neighbors are fucking your shit up.

Unfortunately the reality is that it's much easier to go to war with a bunch of backwards troglodytes.

Does this mean the Qataris get to fuck off 'home' now?

They're only 20 minutes, and 20 million pounds down the road, so they are fine with that, right?

I assume their God had this all mapped out...

But Maybe their racist, homophobic, mysoginistic, made up GOD had OTHER plans after all!!!

Imagine THAT brain fuck tonight?!

Unfortunately the reality is that it's much easier to go to war with a bunch of backwards troglodytes.
But if we hadnt been killing them and stealing their shit for no good reason, there would be a better chance that they listen to us and see us as progress. Right now its upto them to evolve. Maybe other countries who havent been attacking them should be the ones leading this evolution. Our countries UK/US is morally bankrupt as it is.

But if we hadnt been killing them and stealing their shit for no good reason, there would be a better chance that they listen to us and see us as progress. Right now its upto them to evolve. Maybe other countries who havent been attacking them should be the ones leading this evolution. Our countries UK/US is morally bankrupt as it is.
No one would be paying then a third thought in normal times. They own the shard and most of the Olympic site and nothing. You buy an international world event to grab international attention don't be surprised when you get attention.

Would Townsend say the same thing about apartheid South Africa? Oh it's just their culture, who are we to judge?
That is a good point. Double standards everywhere. Theres an active apartheid in israel (other than the various other human rights abuses they are comitting), but there are some who still defend them which is repulsive.

So where do you draw the line? Let's say you go to a country and the legal age of consent there is 10 years old, are we allowed to say anything then or do we just ignore it?
It's a good question: where do you draw the line? There are several EU member states where the age of consent is 14 (Austria, Bulgaria, Estonia, Germany, Hungary, Italy and Portugal). Is that ok?

I think it's been a great World Cup so far..
Exciting matches, good football, full stadiums, great atmosphere's, good officiating.

Long may it it continue.

And Come on England!!!

Back
Top Bottom