The “They’re really going to have a World Cup in QATAR?” Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm not sure if we're agreeing or disagreeing. :)

Neither... I'm just riffing on the fact there's a distinct difference between abiding by a law and what Qatar are attempting to enforce upon it's guests.

Are you saying that, as a general rule of thumb, you wouldn't abide by the laws of a country you were visiting if you didn't agree with them on moral grounds?

Not sure how you'd garner that from my comments, but nope.

Last edited:
I'm literally shaking

abA6aMY7_700w_0.jpg

They're dressed as vikings! Female vikings to boot!

I am

only_fools_and_horses_trigger.jpg
ed

Not at all from my perspective.
OK... I was reading to much into things. Apologies.
I think that the average person in Nazi Germany or Apartheid South Africa knew what they were doing was immoral or worse but chose to go along because they were scared of the regime, felt powerless and/or thought the benefits outweighed the moral issue.
You're probably right. Though, I wonder if that would still have been the case were you to look beyond the gas chamber and considered attitudes towards the murdering of Jewish people more broadly.
I don’t think this is true of the Qataris. I believe they think they have the high ground here because of some quote in a three thousand year book.
Many ancient books have been used as the basis of questionable morals, not just the Koran.

Neither... I'm just riffing on the fact there's a distinct difference between abiding by a law and what Qatar are attempting to enforce upon it's guests.
Agreed where the hats, flags, laces, etc are concerned. The idea they're trying to 'protect' supporters is ridiculous.
Not sure how you'd garner that from my comments, but nope.
As I said, I wasn't sure what you were saying, so just clarifying.

Whatever one thinks of this world cup, it beggars belief that someone thinks it is acceptable to go to an Arab country dressed as a crusader. I just can't understand what they are thinking.

They do that every tournament. This isn’t new. Nothing to do with Qatar.

For fucks sake, let people do whatever stupid shit they want to do so long as they don’t hurt anyone.

Mp.

Also, as mummy mummy alludes to, his mother, Eleanor of Aquitaine, was something else. I would rate as probably the most influential female monarch in British history, possibly with the exceptions of the two Elizabeths.

She was first married to the weak Louis VII of France before he had the marriage annulled on the grounds of both consanguinity (she didn't provide a male heir to the French throne) and that she liked to 'put it about' with other men given Philip wasn't really up to it. She then married Henry II (who was up to it, with her and numerous other women) before he became king, and they had numerous offspring, including of course Richard and John.

She didn't take any crap from Henry - she was wealthy in her own right from the Aquitaine territories in south-western France - but they ruled well for a period of time until the family ended being as dysfunctional as anything from a Jeremy Kyle TV show (you may need to ask someone who this person is...), and Henry imprisoned her for 16 years. However, she still had huge influence with the powerbrokers of England and France who had no time for Henry.

The Angevin Empire period of English Plantagenet reign covers a fascinating time in (mainly) English history, where the crown gradually moved from France to England, along with legal and constitutional changes we still have as the basis of English law to this day - namely the writing of Magna Carta. It's my favourite time of English history.
I'd have given her one. :ledleylick:

The 2 guys commentating on the Fox channel here in the US seem to think it's a radio comedy show....they really should get in some Brits who take it seriously and also know what they're talking about.

I'm actually very disappointed in the English football team - and the Germans/Belgians etc. Despite their protestations, at the first hint of a yellow card they've capitulated to FIFA. They've been weak, when they should have got together and ALL worn the armbands. It's still not too late.

Anyway, I heard on the radio this morning that those armbands had been designed by lawyers, to ensure they weren't 'political'. Wear the bloody things FFS.

These aren't reasonable examples, in my view. If we could take our modern-day values back in time, we could find a whole load of wrongs to right... everywhere. A white person living in or visiting South Africa circa 1985 would, unfortunately, have a different perspective on apartheid to the one we have today. Same goes for attitudes towards Jewish people in and around 1940.
Difference is (and part of my point) is that it's 2022 and we should know better by now.....

But some countries insist on living not in the past, but living by an outdated fairytale made up god mantra that is so out of date that it's stopped being merely offensive... it's just plain outdated and boring to hear now.

Back
Top Bottom