The “They’re really going to have a World Cup in QATAR?” Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

How do you think it will be received from within the LGBTQ community? My guess would be not favourably.

The government responsibility should be to protect its citizens from potential harm not PR. We have no or at best little control over Qatar, no-one should be under illusions of what they are getting themselves into.

If anything the hide it message is too soft, fans need to be made clear of situation. Last thing we need is gay fans locked up in Qatar. This whole WC is a nonsense.

The government responsibility should be to protect its citizens from potential harm not PR. We have no or at best little control over Qatar, no-one should be under illusions of what they are getting themselves into.

If anything the hide it message is too soft, fans need to be made clear of situation. Last thing we need is gay fans locked up in Qatar. This whole WC is a nonsense.
That I think most would agree with that. The issue though, I think, is him telling this group to be respectful of the regime that has an appalling record against homosexuals. It's akin to the Government telling Jewish fans to be respectful to Hitler when attending the Berlin Olympics in '36.

That I think most would agree with that. The issue though, I think, is him telling this group to be respectful of the regime that has an appalling record against homosexuals. It's akin to the Government telling Jewish fans to be respectful to Hitler when attending the Berlin Olympics in '36.

Agreed but they are in a difficult position, they can’t just scream ‘’cunts’’ at Qatar they have to tell everyone what to do but without pissing of Qatar, I would prefer them to be more honest but I am not in politics . It’s a no-win either way but saying something is better than nothing and if it prevents people getting dragged to jail then it’s worth it.

If it was me I would just message don’t go.

Agreed but they are in a difficult position, they can’t just scream ‘’cunts’’ at Qatar they have to tell everyone what to do but without pissing of Qatar, I would prefer them to be more honest but I am not in politics . It’s a no-win either way but saying something is better than nothing and if it prevents people getting dragged to jail then it’s worth it.

Their regime is well documented, non more so since being awarded the World Cup and if you were a football fan from the LGBTQ community then I'd be very surprised that they will not be aware of it. Your previous post would, I think, have been the appropriate way to frame it. As no doubt, the message is intended for LGBTQ English fans traveling there.

They should have simply said 'if you're going make sure you respect their culture'.

They clearly don't want anyone to be themselves in Qatar unless it involves being a bigoted piece of shit.

Pissed up, northern middle aged coke heads can’t go and support their side in Qatar, nor throw plastic chairs so this bias isn’t exclusive to gays. Most of Englands support are also alienated by this backward country

I hear but screw the joyless pricks who have bribed their way to this farcical sports-washing event, better off staying well away

I can see why people take issue with the comments, but part of traveling to another country is abiding by the laws of that country, no matter how archaic they may be.

The Brittany Greiner and Russia saga is another example, and I think the US is stupid for saying that she is being illegally detained. She went to Russia and broke the Russian law.

Is the penalty excessive? Yes and the situation is sad, but she broke the Russian law and is not illegally detained.

People have the right to not travel to Qatar and I really hope people just don't go rather than risk their long-term freedom.

The fault is for Fifa awarding the WC to countries like this. Being a non-citizen of a country does not mean you get to travel there and play by whatever rules you like.

Fixing Qatar's and other archaic laws is a whole different argument.

63843403-11354277-Borussia_Dortmund_supporters_held_up_a_banner_ahead_of_their_Cha-a-24_1666739153676.jpg

I concur.

I am actually sticking up for the government here sort of but what the fuck else is the government supposed to say, ‘’yeh be as gay as you want’’, the government would then be responsible for gay men being beat up and incarcerated in Qatar.

This kind of virtual signal bullshit from Lineker is actually quite dangerous as if he wants some gay men to go over there and be martyrs so he can look good.

The problem is not the governments messaging, it’s the holding of a WC in Qatar. My messaging would be stronger, if you are gay or just want a alcoholic drink it’s at your own risk. People need the truth and need to be told in no uncertain terms the reality.

I get your overall point, but not clear on the highlighted bit.......

Either way; I assume Gary still stands to earn a nice bit of coin from the WC rather than boycotting it....?

.....Are ANY of the talking heads taking a credible stand?

Agreed, but at the same time (whatever the regime) one ought to have their eyes open when engaging in defiant activism......

This is a bit different to a holiday maker being banged up for holding hands in public.

Last edited:
The fact that this farce has been allowed to happen just shows how morally bankrupt the sport is

Proven that the bribed there way to get the WC

Proven they built the stadiums on the literal bones of slave labour

Proven they couldn't fulfill the promise of AC stadiums and never had the intention of doing so

Forced the entire football calender to be moved because of this taking away an amazing summer of football for us and fucking the season

Huge amounts of human rights abuse racism and LGBTQ hatred

Genuinely considering boycotting the whole thing and we know that people are gonna get hurt or worse over there for simply being themselves.

.........I suspect we'll see a few more such videos over the next month in the name of these countries and their so-called attempt to use this as a "platform for change".

"At least we tried" (whilst still raking in millions form being there!) :pocheyes:

Have the government came out and criticised strongly that they have to act that way? Both those messages would be best.

Back
Top Bottom