The "A-Team" vs. MANCHESTER CITY

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

But Kane can hold the ball up, we are talking about an out and out striker. His performances have been ok, it's the lack of goals that have been the issue and last night he very unlucky.

Son has played as a second striker apparently but not an out and out and Nije is a winger. We are going to have to be fucking lucky for either Nije, Son or Chadli to pick up Kane's role as well as he can play it.

Look at Stoke, Kane went off the pitch and our shape when to shit. It's a big ask for any of our players to do what Kane does for us.

From what I've seen of Son so far, ball retention is not one of his strengths..

Unfortunately, he's never looked good there either. Remember when we were all "melters" on deadline day. Now look... don't think Kane playing every match has been optimal for him or the squad.

While Kane has had a hard time this season he has still done all the donkey work, pressing, holding the ball up, linking etc. we don't have anyone else who can do that, the reason I thought of Chadli was because when he is up for it he can be very strong and physical and ain't a bad finisher.

Everyone calling for Kane to be dropped obviously doesn't see the tremendous amount of work he does each and every game. Berahino would have provided something of an alternative but alas we have none.

I'll be honest. This will be a tough and brutal match. If Poch is smart, he will play his best defensive minded players to counter some of the massive threats that are coming our way. He's rested the squad, but City have went for momentum and I think they will carry it from the league cup game. They have fantastic attacking players with a weaker defensive unit, hopefully we can keep a clean sheet against the best striker in the league and keep De Bruyne and Silva quiet. If we can't it's going to be a long long afternoon.

Poch chose to rest players, now they need to step it up to a whole new level to beat a hungry Manchester City side or at least get a draw, because anything less and questions need to be asked about his decision to essentially throw away our cup run at the first hurdle.

Edit: Having said all that. I still fancy city to take all 3 points. I expect 3 - 1 on the day. Aguero with at least one of those. I have high hopes, but low expectations. I hope we can just do ourselves proud this time out.

For me this is the type of match where you have to ask questions of the opposition.
In order to do that we need to shut down Touré & Silva or at least consign them to more defensive roles...
so I would expect Mason to start rather then Alli.
Then there's Aguero...I think Davies will play instead of Rose...Verts looks more comfortable when Davies plays and
against Aguero you don't need any distractions.
If it was me I'd gamble N'jie (this guy is seriously fast) instead of Chadli but I expect experience will win out, at least initially.
Otherwise it's the usual suspects (including Son) plus a strong bench.

To be honest I haven't watched a whole lot of City so far this season but I think playing for a draw would surely backfire. Those midfielders are bound to pick out Aguero. I could even see us called for a pen. We can get a result but it will take a complete effort while keeping the pressure on them. And a bit of old fashioned luck.

While Kane has had a hard time this season he has still done all the donkey work, pressing, holding the ball up, linking etc. we don't have anyone else who can do that, the reason I thought of Chadli was because when he is up for it he can be very strong and physical and ain't a bad finisher.

Everyone calling for Kane to be dropped obviously doesn't see the tremendous amount of work he does each and every game. Berahino would have provided something of an alternative but alas we have none.

Agreed. It's comical that folks are suggesting we drop the hardest working player in the squad.

While Kane has had a hard time this season he has still done all the donkey work, pressing, holding the ball up, linking etc. we don't have anyone else who can do that

It's a little out of left field, but I actually think that Dembele could fill that gap at the moment.

Yes, I know he's injured at present.

we have naff all chance in this game regardless of the team we put out, which makes tonights selection even more unforgivable, everything aguero ever touches against us turns to goals
I'm sure that's what the Spammers supporters thought before the match last week. Get down The Lane, sing as loud as you can and back the team and I guarantee that even if we don't end up victors they'll fucking know they've been in a match.

Agreed. It's comical that folks are suggesting we drop the hardest working player in the squad.
Whilst he very clearly isn't the hardest working player in the squad. I agree that it's comical we drop him. His drought and his willingness to want to show people he isn't a one season wonder should be more than enough for him wanting to succeed as opposed to dropping him for not scoring.

Just looking at the city forum what team they might put out, fair to say it's strong.

[formation=4231, Hart, Sagna, Otamendi, Kompany, Kolarov, Fernandinho, Toure, Sliva, De Bruyne, Sterling, Aguero][/formation]

Back
Top Bottom