The Impact of Covid on Spurs & Football

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Only Keep self-isolating if you have any of these symptoms after 10 days:
  • feeling or being sick
  • diarrhoea
  • a high temperature or feeling hot and shivery
  • a runny nose or sneezing
stop self-isolating when these symptoms have gone.
If you have diarrhoea or you're being sick, stay at home until 48 hours after they've stopped.
If someone you live with has tested positive if someone in your support bubble has tested positive

Chances are that none of them had symptoms so that means 10 days of isolation from the date of their tests. In turn that means that in order to be able to play on Wednesday the test would need to have been carried out no later than This Monday(?) 4th January?
That would also mean zero days on the training ground before the match.
Shame they didn't have these stipulations in place against West Ham back in 2006... they've just described 90% of our team that day!!!

Because there’s a 25 man Premier League squad that we can choose from. And they are all self isolating.

There are 47 players registered for Aston Villa with Premier League 20/21.

Akos Onodi, Mungo Bridge, Dominic Revan, Jake Walker, Callum Rowe, Benjamin Chrisene, Louie Barry, Lamar Bogarde are all registered to play this Wednesday, all of whom played in the FA Cup.

I feel for Villa, I really do but Tottenham are now likely to be handed a punishing schedule as a result of it.

It's ridiculous that one competition says 'play or forfeit' and another says 'just postpone' and yet again this outcome favours the fucking dippers once more!

Friday 15th January​

PREMIER LEAGUE​

• Fulham20:00Chelsea

Wednesday 20th January​

PREMIER LEAGUE​

• Fulham20:15Manchester United

Tuesday 26th January​

PREMIER LEAGUE​

• Brighton & Hove Albion18:00Fulham

Sunday 10th January​

THE FA CUP​

THIRD ROUND​

Friday 15th January​

PREMIER LEAGUE​

• Fulham20:00Chelsea

Tuesday 19th January​

PREMIER LEAGUE​

• Leicester City20:15Chelsea

Wednesday 27th January​

PREMIER LEAGUE​

• Chelsea18:00Wolverhampton Wanderers

Postpone Fulham v Chelsea from Friday to Saturday and play Fulham on Wednesday if Villa game postponed.

Because there’s a 25 man Premier League squad that we can choose from. And they are all self isolating.
Rubbish. You can play any of your players under 21 in the premier league. They are a free pick. Think you will find most clubs do not have a full 25 man squad of over 21 players. Usually 22 or 23 supplemented by under 21’s.
Having said that we are one of the few who do have 25 .
It is.

There will be international friendlies - and not just that, but also World Cup qualifying games (South America, for example) -, in March.

Why are they taking so long to just cancel the International Break in the first place? I have no idea. We´re talking about 15 days of international games that could be played another time.

Another 15 days, by the way. Football had three international breaks since the beginning of the season - 45 days in total. We wouldn´t be in this mess if they had "just" two - instead of three - international breaks.

In short, if the choice was not to play international friendlies, we would probably be able to postpone matches right now.
the int break in March is for World Cup games Europe as well.

There are 47 players registered for Aston Villa with Premier League 20/21.

Akos Onodi, Mungo Bridge, Dominic Revan, Jake Walker, Callum Rowe, Benjamin Chrisene, Louie Barry, Lamar Bogarde are all registered to play this Wednesday, all of whom played in the FA Cup.

I feel for Villa, I really do but Tottenham are now likely to be handed a punishing schedule as a result of it.

It's ridiculous that one competition says 'play or forfeit' and another says 'just postpone' and yet again this outcome favours the fucking dippers once more!
Couldn’t agree more. I just can’t see how we could be forced to play with the kids again in the League though.

Otherwise, surely Newcastle would have had to do the same against us and Fulham would have had to do the same against Spurs ?

If we have to play with the kids again on Wednesday we are basically being punished in both the League and the FA Cup, when other Premier League teams have been able to postpone when they had COVID cases.
In addition, the local press here are reporting that the number of cases at Villa are far worse than they were at Newcastle or Fulham.

I do not fully understand either the rules or extent of the problem. However if it is certain that players cannot play then why delay the decision. We might be able to fit in Fulham. However if they have to wait to see if further tests allow some to play or not then I can see why there is a delay. Surely they can say more about the situation.

I don’t quite get why the Southampton game was called off but the others (Derby, Villa) had to play or forfeit?

The Southampton game was called off because there's been a significant outbreak at Shrewsbury band they don't have enough players left to fill a squad.

Couldn’t agree more. I just can’t see how we could be forced to play with the kids again in the League though.

Otherwise, surely Newcastle would have had to do the same against us and Fulham would have had to do the same against Spurs ?

If we have to play with the kids again on Wednesday we are basically being punished in both the League and the FA Cup, when other Premier League teams have been able to postpone when they had COVID cases.
In addition, the local press here are reporting that the number of cases at Villa are far worse than they were at Newcastle or Fulham.
It's a mess, no question, but the way it is going we could have to play 4 games in a week for a stretch. So sorry, show up or give us the points.

We have had the Xmas party problem but being Spurs there will come a time when we are badly affected probably about 23rd April and we field a weakened team in the league cup final.

It's a mess, no question, but the way it is going we could have to play 4 games in a week for a stretch. So sorry, show up or give us the points.
Sorry Jenny. But you are looking at it purely from a Spurs perspective.
The fact Spurs are in a load of cup competitions and have had games postponed because of the virus (as have we) isn’t Villa’s fault or problem.
Can you seriously say if the roles were reversed you’d happily send the kids to play our first team ?

Sorry Jenny. But you are looking at it purely from a Spurs perspective.
The fact Spurs are in a load of cup competitions and have had games postponed because of the virus (as have we) isn’t Villa’s fault or problem.
Can you seriously say if the roles were reversed you’d happily send the kids to play our first team ?
That could easily end up happening to us, nobody is immune. There are certain to be more cases, could be a lot more cases.
If the Villa game gets postponed now, but later in the season another team has to forfeit that is not fair either. It is what it is, everyone just has to suck it up.

This is the exact problem the PL gave itself when it sent precedent with Newcastle being able to postpone our match in early December. If they force us to play with the kids/forfeit, then we would want to do the same with Newcastle (which they can't go back in time)

Can anyone see a potential scenario where certain teams will finish the season at different times?
Or must the season finish at the same time for all sides?

I understand the euros are due this summer but what’s the distance between the season ending and the euros starting?

Can anyone see a potential scenario where certain teams will finish the season at different times?

I understand the euros are due this summer but what’s the distance between the season ending and the euros starting?

Sky seem to want all games on the last day to finish at the same time even if everything is decided. I’ve always found it a bit weird. If they were so worried about the integrity of fixtures of a weekend then they would make everyone play at the same time. It’s only done for a hopeful dramatic effect, that will happen once in a blue moon. There is no reason at all, especially this year if games don’t finish on the same day.

That last game has started at the same time forever. Integrity or something.

Sky seem to want all games on the last day to finish at the same time even if everything is decided. I’ve always found it a bit weird. If they were so worried about the integrity of fixtures of a weekend then they would make everyone play at the same time. It’s only done for a hopeful dramatic effect, that will happen once in a blue moon. There is no reason at all, especially this year if games don’t finish on the same day.
city winning the title in the 94th minute against QPR ?

:adethumbup:

good shout though, I wonder if Sky would have the power to force that rule this year.

Back
Top Bottom