The latest on the potential 5th CL spot

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Not really that important . We are going to finish 4th.

Guaranteed. I’ve anyway spent my Top4 winnings!

Watch Villa collapse this final part of the season.
Still not really sure why people think they are our equals. They are not. Proven this last weekend.
Levels below us.

Don’t worry yourself.

Not too worried.

I think teams will walk through their midfield without McGinn and Kamara there for the next 3 games.

If we win out next 4 winnable fixtures, I think that'll be that.

I like the new format.

1Bayern Munich6616
2FC Copenhagen608
3Galatasaray6-35
4Man Utd6-34

I can't remember in what order the fixtures were actually played but lets say Copenhagen had 8 points already and the last match in that group was BM v Utd. Who cares about the result?

I think you're going to have scenarios now where teams will be putting out weakened teams which makes a mockery of the champions league tbh. Imagine we make champions league this season. Next season we have a big game vs Woolwich on the weekend but we've got a midweek champions league game. We're in 17th position not getting in the top 8. We would surely be resting players for the big game on the weekend over playing our strongest side in a competition where it doesn't matter where we finish We're getting rewarded with a play off place anyway. It'll be a farce teams putting out b teams and kids because they've got more important games coming up domestically.

I think you're going to have scenarios now where teams will be putting out weakened teams which makes a mockery of the champions league tbh. Imagine we make champions league this season. Next season we have a big game vs Woolwich on the weekend but we've got a midweek champions league game. We're in 17th position not getting in the top 8. We would surely be resting players for the big game on the weekend over playing our strongest side in a competition where it doesn't matter where we finish We're getting rewarded with a play off place anyway. It'll be a farce teams putting out b teams and kids because they've got more important games coming up domestically.

Group of 36 teams.
1-24 all have a chance of going through. 25-36 get eliminated.
I'll bet at the lower end there will be mad competition up until the last match.

Last edited:

Group of 36 teams.
1-28 all have a chance of going through. 29-36 get eliminated.
I'll bet at the lower end there will be mad competition up until the last match.
Not worth the extra games. Put in all that effort just to get knocked out next round anyway. Better off putting more effort in to going for the fa Cup or the league cup .

UEFA have said play offs will be seeded and weighted towards the teams finish in the league.

So if you finish 9th you won’t play 10th.
Also you get home advantage 2nd leg if you’re top seeded.
9-16th and 17 -24th. They also give the impression it might even be weighted within those groups but will have to wait and see.

“To strengthen the synergy between the league and knockout phases, and to provide more sporting incentive during the league phase, the pairings of the knockout phase will also be partly determined by the league phase rankings, with a draw which likewise determines and lays out the route for teams to reach the final.”

Sure there will be dead rubbers though. Can’t be avoided with so many teams in the league.

UEFA have said play offs will be seeded and weighted towards the teams finish in the league.

So if you finish 9th you won’t play 10th.
Also you get home advantage 2nd leg if you’re top seeded.
9-16th and 17 -24th. They also give the impression it might even be weighted within those groups but will have to wait and see.

“To strengthen the synergy between the league and knockout phases, and to provide more sporting incentive during the league phase, the pairings of the knockout phase will also be partly determined by the league phase rankings, with a draw which likewise determines and lays out the route for teams to reach the final.”

Sure there will be dead rubbers though. Can’t be avoided with so many teams in the league.
Seems like they're turning into a europa league slog. Pre season tours to Asia,added games in Europe. It's too much imo. I never thought I'd say this about football but it's too many games now. Going to be a lot more injuries and a lot more poor quality games due to tiredness and mental fatigue. This is just the start. Less is more sometimes.

Perhaps worth looking at european results by country - as that's Spurs interest in seeing if PL gets a 5th place or not.

CL Results on Tuesday/Wednesday (round of 16) this week and last week :

Germany beat Italy
Spain beat France
England beat Denmark
Spain beat Germany
England beat Portugal
Spain beat Italy
Spain beat Italy
Germany beat Netherlands

Italy were way ahead in pole position to get an extra CL place, maybe this makes them less ahead

Germany were ahead of England to get an extra CL place, maybe these results narrow the gap a little.

Spain were a long way out of the running, hopefully these results don't help them too much !

Europa League and Europa Conference League tonight, which includes Liverpool, Brighton, Wham and Villa - key England v Germany match is West Ham v Freiberg where Freiberg start 2nd leg with a one goal advantage (gulp ..... )

The key England/Germany match tonight going well - Wham 4-1 up on aggregate after 84 mins.

Ended Wham 5-1 Freiberg

3 English teams to kick off shortly Liverpool, Villa and Brighton - of which I expect the first 2 should win but not Brighton.

Whilst only one other German team, Bayer Leverkuesen who I expect to win.

So that would mean going forward Germany has 3 teams (2 in CL, 1 in EL) whilst England has 5 teams (2 in CL, 2 in EL and 1 in ECL) which should mean PL gaining enough points to win the extra CL place.

Ended Wham 5-1 Freiberg

3 English teams to kick off shortly Liverpool, Villa and Brighton - of which I expect the first 2 should win but not Brighton.

So that would mean going forward Germany has 3 teams (2 in CL, 1 in EL) whilst England has 5 teams (2 in CL, 2 in EL and 1 in ECL) which should mean PL gaining enough points to win the extra CL place.
My enemy's enemy is my friend!
We can go back to hating all the other teams in the next round.

Ended Wham 5-1 Freiberg

A Brighton win even if they don’t progress still picks up some points I think.

Qarabag going 1-0 up at Bayer Leverkusen after 60 odd minutes could complete a demolition of Germany's bid for an extra CL place if they can hold onto the lead

As expected Liverpool and Villa go through to the quarter finals of Europa League and Europa Conference League respectively.

Brighton won 1-0 on the night, but went out 4-1 on aggregate to Roma.

Bayer Leverkusen won 3-2 after going 2-0 down.

No doubt updated coefficients will be out later but PL probably 85% sure of getting a 5th place.

Back
Top Bottom