The Mighty Spurs vs Woolwich Scum - Sunday NLD

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

More I rewatch the game/hls the more I'm still pissed at that cunt ref. It wasn't able to fuck us over thankfully but what a disgrace.
Xhaka should have been yellowed righ away. Instead he got away with it and 3 or 4 more counter destroying fouls. Should have been off. Hard enough with handball/offside bullshit.

And the cunt kept giving them fks for falling over. There was one that really pissed me off, Sissoko and Hoj doubled team and muscled their player off and he called a foul ffs.
The worst was Gio on Lacazettee on the edge of our box.

Clearly got the ball, could see it on first viewing, and he was on a yellow already.

I'm sure VAR would have overturned a red if it was given but we still could have conceded from the freekick.

I know a line has to be drawn somewhere with VAR interference but man it would have sucked to concede like that.

The worst was Gio on Lacazettee on the edge of our box.

Clearly got the ball, could see it on first viewing, and he was on a yellow already.

I'm sure VAR would have overturned a red if it was given but we still could have conceded from the freekick.

I know a line has to be drawn somewhere with VAR interference but man it would have sucked to concede like that.

VAR won't over-rule a 2nd yellow... Only a straight red.

We were so lucky not to get fucked over by that asshole on Sunday...

‘BC I’ve been meaning to ask you for a while if your opinion of Son has changed this season. You often accused him in the past of bumbling around aimlessly. Now that Kane has broadened his role to be the provider in chief as well as goal scorer we are now seeing Son released to be interchanging with Kane as the player furthest forward and he is truly looking consistently like the world class player he showed in glimpses in previous seasons. I have always maintained he is most effective as an out and out striker although ironically he is doing his defensive share more effectively too. How do you assess him now in terms of world class and do you agree that Kane and Son are now one of the most potent strike partners in Europe ?

Good question.

I think defensively and without the ball, Mourinho's coaching and tactics (and Lloris's bollockings) have probably increased Son's work rate and awareness some, and that's good, but there are still glaring examples of his continued laziness or mental laziness - such as two times against Woolwich where he went to sleep, didn't cover Reguilon and allowed Arse to get behind Reguilon in that wide open space at RB position - and he continues to be slack like this at times. Checking the data, he's still v very low down the team list in terms of things like tackles (0.6 pg) and interceptions (0.4 pg). Delving deeper we can see the effect of Mourinho in his pressing stats - he's about 3rd of players that have played more than 5 games - averaging 19.9 p90 - but again, this is heavily tempered by the efficacy of his pressing compared to others, where he's actually one of the worst in the squad with 20% success of pressure actions.

Soooo....what does this mean in terms of my opinion of what he's doing without the ball, not a lot has changed, bit more effort, bit better at maybe helping with our mid/low block, still pretty poor in terms of actually engaging and helping us win turn over the ball. So has gone from maybe a 2/10 to a 4/10 without the ball.

I think Mourinho's got him playing in exactly the right role, primarily as a wide forward cutting in, often on the counter where he can be direct at isolated defenders, occasionally playing more centrally when we switch to a 422/4411 with Kane dropping into that deeper area.

In terms of what he's doing offensively, for the team/others, I don't think this has changed much at all, I still think his actual hold up play when under pressure or traffic can be abysmal, he can still fuck up a 3 yard pass as easy as he can score a screamer. His XA90 is (0.20) half of that of Kane's (0.39) for example - 60th in the PL, a bit less than he was creating last season (0.24).

Although Kane's assist for him on Sunday left him a lot to do (and he did that lot brilliantly) what Kane did in challenging a CB in a dual, then shrugging off a couple of pressures to then pop the ball out to Son, Son would rarely ever do, he rarely wins physical duals and rarely manages to shield and dribble out with his back to a couple of players. And the quality of his creativity is OK, but is nothing special really compared to the league in general (the X/A from his actions is as I said above about 60th best in the PL right now)

But, what he's doing in terms of shooting, scoring and his ability to outscore his own XG is unreal at the moment - he's got 10 goals from an X/G of about 4. he is benefitting from Kane being amongst the top 5 of regular PL players interns of creative quality/quantity (X/A). How long he can maintain that is the million dollar question. And how that will be effected by Kane's form too.

So hand on heart, my opinion of Son hasn't really changed loads, just a bit. I've always said what he's best at, without meaning to sound over simplistic, is shooting. He's two footed, he has one of the best shooting mid/long shooting techniques in the PL (maybe in Europe) right now. But he's always been streaky, can go long spells where that is less effective and when he's not scoring those he's not brave or smart enough to score enough to have ever made him a Kane/Aguero/Lewandowski etc. He's never hit 20 goals in a season, rarely even come close. As a wide forward if he can regularly average about 20 goals and assists that's still a decent return (as long as the main CF - Kane eg - is hitting 25+ goals/assist).

He's scoring currently at the best rate of his career. If he sustains it, I'll be impressed, if he does it next season too, fucking very impressed. I think it's heavily reliant on two things though, Mourinho's tactics continuing to work and Kane's contribution. If Kane gets injured and Son still maintains his output (and picks up some of Kane's creative output) I will be very impressed.

The rest of what he's doing is not vastly different in terms of hold up, game play, without the ball and defensively IMO. Marginal improvements defensively and without the ball maybe?

More I rewatch the game/hls the more I'm still pissed at that cunt ref. It wasn't able to fuck us over thankfully but what a disgrace.
Xhaka should have been yellowed righ away. Instead he got away with it and 3 or 4 more counter destroying fouls. Should have been off. Hard enough with handball/offside bullshit.

And the cunt kept giving them fks for falling over. There was one that really pissed me off, Sissoko and Hoj doubled team and muscled their player off and he called a foul ffs.
One good thing the Ref did was only 3 mins at end of game. I was expecting more and although we were 2 up, the Spammers match is still raw.

One good thing the Ref did was only 3 mins at end of game. I was expecting more and although we were 2 up, the Spammers match is still raw.
I was always nervous during the Spam game but not against Woolwich

We looked so much stronger defensively and hats off to Jose and Ledley

Very well summerised. This is exactly what I was trying to get at. Obviously delighted with the result, but there's still a quality gap to Liverpool and Chelsea we need to close.

We've mastered the defensive block, communication at the back and blistering counter attacks, but our posession play needs some work.

Hardly shitting all over the team.
There is zero quality gap with Chelsea this narrative they owned us is bull. They are a work in progress an Kurt Zuma is still Kurt Zuma. We are more than capable than beating them we had a kid on his debut. Wait and watch Fat Frank will get found out just like Ole Gunna deadcat. Chelsea have won nothing and done nothing whats this weird sudden reverence for them

There is zero quality gap with Chelsea this narrative they owned us is bull. They are a work in progress an Kurt Zuma is still Kurt Zuma. We are more than capable than beating them we had a kid on his debut. Wait and watch Fat Frank will get found out just like Ole Gunna deadcat. Chelsea have won nothing and done nothing whats this weird sudden reverence for them
Certainly a possibility, but so far they've managed to shut out Kane and son by playing a more defensive style and absolutely battered Leeds by beating them at their own game.

#TeamPlWDLFAGDPts
1Tottenham Hotspur117312391424
2Liverpool117312617924
3Chelsea1164125111422
4Leicester City117042115621
5Southampton116232117420
6Manchester United106131917219
7Manchester City105321711618
8West Ham United115241814417
9Everton115242018217
10Wolverhampton Wanderers115241115-417
11Crystal Palace115151716116
12Aston Villa95042013715
13Newcastle United104241215-314
14Leeds United114251620-414
15Woolwich114161014-413
16Brighton and Hove Albion112451518-310
17Fulham112181121-107
18Burnley10136518-136
19West Bromwich Albion11137823-156
20Sheffield United110110518-131
Last updated: December 8, 2020 5:44pm

Very well summerised. This is exactly what I was trying to get at. Obviously delighted with the result, but there's still a quality gap to Liverpool and Chelsea we need to close.

We've mastered the defensive block, communication at the back and blistering counter attacks, but our posession play needs some work.

Hardly shitting all over the team.
Are you serious ?
Really???

The Spurs way hadn’t worked since 61 - it’s time for a change clearly

Yeah, changes like prioritizing league form instead of distracting cup ties.

Stuff like that, right? After all, it wasn't until Poch started doing that, that we actually started making it into the title conversation.

Stuff like that, right? After all, it wasn't until Poch started doing that, that we actually started making it into the title conversation.
Finishing 3rd you mean

Worth prioritising?

Finishing 3rd you mean

Worth prioritising?

We also finished 2nd, and yes, that's worth prioritizing. You don't get to win league titles without practicing for it.

The sad truth is that in the modern era, since the Premier League became all-encompassing (not to mention the Champions League) being a 'Cup team' is basically now a small club mentality.

We can't simply hope to become what Chelsea did, because we don't have Daddy Roman to pump a billion quid into us and enable us to challenge in four competitions at once. Eventually we want to be there, but unless we get bought out by a sugar daddy, we're going to have to do it the hard way.

I want cups too, don't get me wrong, but I want the league far more. Don't tell me you don't feel the same way.

Jesus you don’t know what the Spurs way even means do you? When was it 2016 or 2017 when you started to follow us?

Jesus you don’t know what the Spurs way even means do you?

Yeah, I do. And I notice how you let that way get thrown out the window the moment Jose Mourinho walks in and might win you a League Cup.

And that's fine, but don't try and pretend that you're some sort of guardian of the traditions of the club. You're instead slow-minded and selfish, not understanding that the long-term health of the club is more important than whether or not you get to go have a day out at Wembley. Aren't you the dolt who said that he'd rather slip down to mid-table and lose European football but win the FA Cup, than continue to push for the league and raise our profile among the very top clubs in world football?

When was it 2016 or 2017 when you started to follow us?

1987. Probably the last year that you could still see your penis.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom