The Race for 4th

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Can’t believe we have a chance of 4th considering the total shambles of Nuno and the start of the season in general. Before he got sacked our chances created was near bottom of the league. I was expecting us to come 6-10th and only because of Kane and Son scoring. That being said If Conte has been here from the start I honestly think we would be sitting easy in 3rd.

We have a big chance on Sunday to get back in the brilliant CL let’s not fuck it up.

Screenshot-2022-05-16-225252.jpg

fuck

What we have seen in this mad chase for 4th is the near impossibility and frailty in making predictions.

Woolwich still have more points than I thought likely 5 games ago but the results. Just how to comprehend?

That's why Norwich have to be treated exactly in the right manner.

Absolutely in our hands and the players can have no excuses.

Patience, being disciplined and being clinical are the key words and let's go for the jugular.

Last edited:
With the scum it makes sense, they are lacking talent in various places and the side is thin. They don’t have the elite manager. The team lacks leadership and maturity. It’s not just a young team, it’s not good enough yet.

United is a puzzler, how they can underachieve so much with the embarrassment of talent that they have. They should be miles ahead of Woolwich.

Not turning this into an ENIC thread, let's just say the time to invest heavily is NOW.

We have the manager, a few star players and another host of decent and seemingly happy players for the spots 11-25th in the squad. We have the stadium, the finances.

The Scum are off their feet, Utd are still a joke by their own standards and Newcastle has another 2-3 windows before they are up and running. Oh, and there is the uncertainly of Chelsea.

This is when we have a unique opportunity to place ourselves permanently (as well as can be done) amongst the biggest 3-4 clubs.

It's going to be a very pricy summer, but it should. And we have plenty and plenty of players to sell too.

Well, well, well.

Didn't think we'd win the game, today.

Let alone come back from 1 down to score 5 and batter them.

At least, we'll now see what Arteta's scum are really made of.

Game-by-game for us and just hope we can keep key players fit and see what happens.
And the good thing is Conte has a free week to work with the players. He is improving them week by week

I think if we beat Brentford we will get top 4. It’s just that the performance against Brighton was so bad it makes you wonder if we will even win another game.

Just when you think you can trust these players to do their work properly they decide to down tools.

Yes we lost to Brighton in a gutless display. And yes Woolwich just beat Chelsea at Stafford Bridge. But can we not have a meltdown?

A lot of you are forgetting that after we lost to Brighton, Woolwich bottled it (not for the first time this season) against Southampton who had just lost 6-0 to Chelsea. And before that, who did Woolwich lose to? Oh yeah, that was the same Brighton team that we lost to.

It's going to be agonising for it to be so close between us and Woolwich but any of us would have taken this before the international break ended. It's not perfect but neither are Spurs. All we can do is support our team and hope they can do us proud.

I've woken up in a bad mood after last night's debacle.

The only people I blame are our dopey players. They've been given chance after chance after chance to get top 4 and we should never be in this position.

The performance from so called professional players on Saturday against Brighton was an absolute disgrace and I hope they're hurting this morning.

They get paid hundreds of thousands of pounds to do a dream job and there's no excuse for the crap they served up on Saturday (and countless other times).

Yep. We are our worst enemy.

But the fun thing is - you know we fuck it up. But the exact way HOW remains a mystery.

It's not a mystery at all. This team has one way to score goals, that's breaking into big spaces with Kane, Son and Kulusevski. Not one opponent was able to stop us from scoring when they left those spaces. Eventually opposing managers would notice this and adjust. Hell, Dyche did it to us straight after we beat City and we immediately lost to Burnley.

It's not a mystery that we have failed to overcome this adjustment from the opponent either. Our only good wingback is injured, our midfielders never score, our CBs don't score on set plays and we don't have a second striker in the squad. There aren't enough good players to do what Liverpool, City and Chelsea do where a different player pops up with a goal to open up the game. In recent games I've seen Robertson, Rudiger, Loftus-Cheek, Rodri etc pop up with goals. Our equivalent just aren't capable of it.

Of course the fragile mentality of our players is an issue as well but this inability to create chances against stubborn opponents is not new. It's just what happens when you don't replace a player like Eriksen, when Dele fades into nothingness etc. Our third highest scorer is own goals. That sums it up.

I tend to agree.

The fact that it's Woolwich we're competing with for the 4th spot makes it that all bit more frustrating but had it been any other team in 4th currently there wouldn't be so much pressure.

There wasn't a chance at the beginning of the season I thought we'd finish in the top 4 with everything that was going on and we still are in with a shout. I think the fact we have secured 5th is a massive achievement. The Europa League isn't a bad competition to qualify for now there is the Conference league either.

Overall I think we've shown so much improvement under Conte, the club is in a much better place than it was prior to his appointment. We're a club on the up with a coach who I don't believe will leave no matter where we finish this season. Not a chance he took on this job for 7 months.

I sware this is done to fuck us.

1 EL doesn’t get CL, now it does (admittedly I think we played one EL season where we could).

2 handball is a pen against Sissoko, rules changed so that doesn’t happen again.

3 Chelsea win CL and we are 4th and go into EL, rules changed to fix it.

Its like the fix only goes in after we are fucked.

I am at peace with the situation. If we get CL I will be euphoric. We fucking deserve it. If we end up in Europa League, so be it, Arse will get destroyed in CL and we will have a decent shot to win the EL trophy. I trust Conte. We will be in the race for PL and whichever European competition we are in.

Back
Top Bottom