The Return of Fans to Stadiums

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Would you attend matches at 10-25% capacity

• Yes - COYS!

Votes: 116 74.8%
  • No

Votes: 26 16.8%
  • I'd rather go to another Take That reunion

Votes: 13 8.4%

• Total voters
I've got a friend involved in this. The clubs in question are us and Manchester United, and we're definitely taking it seriously - hired out a biomedical facility with dozens of staff to work on it. There's one bit I've heard that don't quite tally with the Times report, so not saying it's wrong but just throwing it out there. Firstly, this 72 hours thing. The actual cutoff they were aiming at was 6-8 hours before entry. I'm guessing what might be happening though is that they can't have everyone travel to the stadium at the same time for it, so you might have to book a slot to get tested which would be anywhere between 72 and 8 hours before the game.

Timescale wise they're looking at 4-6 weeks from now to deliver this at their end, and probably a bit more to then implement at the clubs. So in a best case scenario where it all works and goes to plan (far from certain!), we could have at least some fans back in September when the new season starts.

The hurdle I think would be getting the Premier League on board - I doubt the other clubs will like the idea of only us and United having fans! Some other clubs could implement it too (although maybe at additional cost - knowing Levy there'll be plenty of clauses in the contract for the research and development!) But others would really struggle either with doing the testing around the ground, providing the disinfection facilities, or paying the fees (£30 is about right and I expect it would be either covered or subsidised by the clubs). So a big question is whether we'd need Premier League permission, or go above their heads so long as the Safety Advisory Group and co were happy with it.

(Other minor consideration would be the clubs doing this potentially accepting tests from each other so away fans could return, but I don't know if that's on the cards yet.)

The latest bonkers sounding "Plan to get fans back into PL matches" in today's Sunday Times and which is apparently being discussed by a leading club in the northwest and one of London's biggest sides:

- Fans would go to a testing station at the stadium from 72 hours before a game for a pinprick test, which would give a result in 20 mins;
- If it's negative you'd be given a green laminated pass for match day;
- On match day your temperature would be checked and you'd be given PPE equipment (presumably just a mask and possibly gloves) then pass through a disinfecting mist into the stadium where F&B would be available since everyone in the stadium should be low risk;
- Cost would be around £30 per match per person and it is unclear if the club, sponsor or fans would have to pay this. :levystare:

So an extra trip to the stadium with the additional travel costs on Covid-infested public transport, plus an extra £30 per match. Sounds crazy to me, but what does anyone else who voted yes think? "Would you still go or not? It would put me in the " I'm so desperate to get out and do something so maybe I'll give it a go" category, but then I'm retired so I have lots and time on my hands. I'd be very surprised if many of those with jobs and young families would want to spend the extra time and money on something like this at this time of uncertainly though. I just can't see it enough people being interested and would expect a big drop-off in numbers after one or two matches.

Not a chance. I'll not be going back until we can go back mask free as per pre covid.

Happy to watch on a TV / beer garden / with mates, until that happy time.

As for the question- yes I would definitely go. Anything has to be better than watching on TV with no fans there and no noise/fake noise. Obviously, to begin with it's not going to be anything like what we've been used to, but as with other things in the time of Covid, it will be more enjoyable if we try and make the best of it and have a joke about it all. I'm hopeful that in time football will go back to how it was, but it may take a while. I don't think away fans will be present for some time, mostly because of the risks involved in travelling across the country. Going to games at WHL and doing the test etc will be a lot easier for me than most as I live walking distance from the ground.

The latest bonkers sounding "Plan to get fans back into PL matches" in today's Sunday Times and which is apparently being discussed by a leading club in the northwest and one of London's biggest sides:

- Fans would go to a testing station at the stadium from 72 hours before a game for a pinprick test, which would give a result in 20 mins;
- On match day your temperature would be checked and you'd be given PPE equipment (presumably just a mask and possibly gloves) then pass through a disinfecting mist into the stadium where F&B would be available since everyone in the stadium should be low risk;
- Cost would be around £30 per match per person and it is unclear if the club, sponsor or fans would have to pay this. :levystare:

So an extra trip to the stadium with the additional travel costs on Covid-infested public transport, plus an extra £30 per match. Sounds crazy to me, but what does anyone else who voted yes think? "Would you still go or not? It would put me in the " I'm so desperate to get out and do something so maybe I'll give it a go" category, but then I'm retired so I have lots and time on my hands. I'd be very surprised if many of those with jobs and young families would want to spend the extra time and money on something like this at this time of uncertainly though. I just can't see it enough people being interested and would expect a big drop-off in numbers after one or two matches.

Based on that, they can fuck right off.

Cannot see how they can justify any restrictions with what is going on with these Protests, Raves and beach life.

I've got a friend involved in this. The clubs in question are us and Manchester United, and we're definitely taking it seriously - hired out a biomedical facility with dozens of staff to work on it. There's one bit I've heard that don't quite tally with the Times report, so not saying it's wrong but just throwing it out there. Firstly, this 72 hours thing. The actual cutoff they were aiming at was 6-8 hours before entry. I'm guessing what might be happening though is that they can't have everyone travel to the stadium at the same time for it, so you might have to book a slot to get tested which would be anywhere between 72 and 8 hours before the game.

Timescale wise they're looking at 4-6 weeks from now to deliver this at their end, and probably a bit more to then implement at the clubs. So in a best case scenario where it all works and goes to plan (far from certain!), we could have at least some fans back in September when the new season starts.

The hurdle I think would be getting the Premier League on board - I doubt the other clubs will like the idea of only us and United having fans! Some other clubs could implement it too (although maybe at additional cost - knowing Levy there'll be plenty of clauses in the contract for the research and development!) But others would really struggle either with doing the testing around the ground, providing the disinfection facilities, or paying the fees (£30 is about right and I expect it would be either covered or subsidised by the clubs). So a big question is whether we'd need Premier League permission, or go above their heads so long as the Safety Advisory Group and co were happy with it.

(Other minor consideration would be the clubs doing this potentially accepting tests from each other so away fans could return, but I don't know if that's on the cards yet.)

Cheers. There’s plenty of space behind the south stand to set this all up as well. I can’t see many fans wanting to make two trips to the stadium though and with the majority of fans not living in the area I can’t see many making the effort.

Cheers. There’s plenty of space behind the south stand to set this all up as well. I can’t see many fans wanting to make two trips to the stadium though and with the majority of fans not living in the area I can’t see many making the effort.
Yeah, I think it will really depend. But if it gets up to full capacity I can't see 60,000 bothering for most games. The only think I wonder is whether there's a possibility of being able to set up the testing at various other places according to demand - if you could be tested at Spurs-run facilities in Enfield, Cheshunt, Stevenage etc that might make a difference to a fair number of people.

30011440-8455895-image-a-83_1593015869923.jpg

I received a survey from the club a few days ago specifically for those on the disability access scheme (I qualify for a lift pass). Most of the questions are the usual guff, but two specifically relate to a potential return and asked for my views on the importance I would place on several factors including social distancing, cleanliness, digital health passports proving you have been tested and whether I'd be willing to take a Covid-19 test in order to gain entry.

Interesting.

Body worn cameras at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium
The Club has made us aware that it is looking to introduce body-worn cameras for use by stewards once fans are allowed back into grounds. We can see some benefits to this, most obviously that if stewards’ actions are captured on camera it is provides a greater incentive to act in an appropriate manner. However, we have a number of concerns about how the cameras will be deployed, how information will be retained and used, and whether audio and well as video recording is to be used. We’ll report back in further detail when the return of fans to stadiums is closer.

Yes, but those 25% have to pass a test first. Some sort of App, which they can prove they know the words to the songs , which will also then rate in Decibels how loud they sing. Anything below 100db, they can feck off.

Interesting.

Body worn cameras at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium
The Club has made us aware that it is looking to introduce body-worn cameras for use by stewards once fans are allowed back into grounds. We can see some benefits to this, most obviously that if stewards’ actions are captured on camera it is provides a greater incentive to act in an appropriate manner. However, we have a number of concerns about how the cameras will be deployed, how information will be retained and used, and whether audio and well as video recording is to be used. We’ll report back in further detail when the return of fans to stadiums is closer.

Wow. VAR, masks, body cameras on stewards.

Football matches of the future sound so much fun......

I doubt we're going back to stadiums this season.
I wouldn't be surprised if there is another postponement of football.

People have shown they can't behave. Numbers have risen again. It's only a matter of time.

It's not being in my seat at the ground that worries me, it's the trains and the wandering around before & after that give me the willies. I won't go to WHL until after I've had a vaccination.

Back
Top Bottom