The Return of Fans to Stadiums

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Would you attend matches at 10-25% capacity

• Yes - COYS!

Votes: 116 74.8%
  • No

Votes: 26 16.8%
  • I'd rather go to another Take That reunion

Votes: 13 8.4%

• Total voters
I think it should stay behind closed doors until at least the end of February, then see where we're at, then maybe 10% capacity(with no away fans) for the rest of the domestic season.
European matches stay with no fans for the rest of this season.

I'm in no rush to get back, could be a long time for me though being a non-season ticket holder now.

It's not being in my seat at the ground that worries me, it's the trains and the wandering around before & after that give me the willies. I won't go to WHL until after I've had a vaccination.

It's not just about you, it's about who you come into contact with on the way there, while you're there, on the way back and when you get home.
If the numbers were on the rise before fans were let back in, they would explode once tens of thousands of people go to stadiums up and down the country.

It doesn't even matter anymore whether the mortality rate is low, we're not going to be allowed to get back to normal until it stays down.

It's not just about you, it's about who you come into contact with on the way there, while you're there, on the way back and when you get home.
If the numbers were on the rise before fans were let back in, they would explode once tens of thousands of people go to stadiums up and down the country.

It doesn't even matter anymore whether the mortality rate is low, we're not going to be allowed to get back to normal until it stays down.
Trying to apply some H&S sense to the challenge of returning crowds. I see the principle challenges to be:

bus/tube/train numbers getting to and from stadiums - that’s highly problematic.

second problem: shouting, and singing inside the stadium, expelling spit to anyone not socially distant - although I have to be honest I have not seen any hard evidence about spit spread as a l lot of that theory still seems to come from the early observation of that church super spreader event in South Korea ( I think it was )

What would be handy to know is how many people might have been reasonably infected in stadiums in March. It could be massive, or very small or somewhere in between.

if you overcome both of the above challenges through safety measures then it’s completely possible to get crowds back.

but let’s be honest that’s two massive problems to overcome!

Personally speaking, given the limitations of the current contender vaccines and the times being highly emotional I cannot see any live football with crowds in the U.K. until summer next year.

What might change this is the higher degree of testing in Europe, which has some fans back, and maybe able to show that stadium (outdoor) spread is not a risk. ( that said as far as I can understand the false positive rate of the PCR test being used is too high to really tel a story )

Last edited:
I suspect the mortality rate is grossly overstated. I don't doubt it exists and I don't doubt people have died. What I suspect is that a large portion of those that have died may well have anyway, with any kind of annual respiratory illness. I'd also doubt how many deaths actually linked to it.

The problem for all of us, is until it's all under control and the real scale is known, they're not going to risk another out break

And because us humans are all selfish pricks, there's no way to make anyone behave, self isolate etc, we won't be anywhere near a stadium

I'm getting the hump a bit about the number of emails I get from the club. They were asking for my I.D the other day. I felt like asking for my 20% deposit back.

The French league have had fans all season, although they have had a second spike none have yet been attributed to those going to stadiums. They are keeping theirs open.

I'm a great believer at learning from others, I would be on the side of get them back and keep an eye on the countries who have done this first to decide if we need to close again.

The French league have had fans all season, although they have had a second spike none have yet been attributed to those going to stadiums. They are keeping theirs open.

I'm a great believer at learning from others, I would be on the side of get them back and keep an eye on the countries who have done this first to decide if we need to close again.
Completely agree. It’s worth understanding that the risk of transmission outdoors is vanishingly small. Something always gets lost in the media messages. This has the consideration of transmission outside against masks.

Politically, it's difficult for the government to justify fans coming back when rates are going up. Especially as other areas of the economy, i.e. hospitality are becoming more restricted.
Your right. And the truth seems to be that it’s become too political and no longer actually evidence based.

If it's going to be a new app and only viewable on a tablet or phone then it sounds a bit crap and I won't be paying to watch any matches on it.

If matches will be on additional PPV channels (c.f. Sky Box Office) using the existing Sky Go app which can also be displayed on a TV or projector via Sky Go on a console (e.g. PS3) or laptop then fine I'll pay £5-£10 per (Spurs and only Spurs) match.

Back
Top Bottom