The Trust have called for the board to resign.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It absolutely is not.
It definitely depends on the market. The US deal doubling recently was, as an American, shocking. They (NBC) aren't making money on the package at the price they're paying now, much less paying twice that in the coming years. Honestly makes me question whether they'll survive as a company.

The French deal recently declined in value. The mid-east deal was flat, but the Nordic contract increased 20%. On the whole, international media rights are up ~10% for the next year. Decelerating seems to be a fair description, the days of soaring revenue year on year do seem to be going away. The market is still growing, but not like it was. The easy money has been made.

It absolutely is not.
You fail to appreciate what an insane rocket ship the TV rights fees were over the preceding 15-odd years.

The 2016 domestic TV deal was like 10X the one that ended in 2001, during which time the international market went from essentially zero to a multibillion add on. And the UEFA TV growth mirrored that.

If the PL total TV take doubles over the next decade they’ll have done exceedingly well.

With growth markets abroad and demand still robust for live sports across the industry I doubt we’re in sight of overall declines for a property as passionately followed as the PL. But there are headwinds and the hockey stick escalation period is over.

Now, Major League Baseball on the other hand? Look out below.

It definitely depends on the market. The US deal doubling recently was, as an American, shocking. They (NBC) aren't making money on the package at the price they're paying now, much less paying twice that in the coming years. Honestly makes me question whether they'll survive as a company.

The French deal recently declined in value. The mid-east deal was flat, but the Nordic contract increased 20%. On the whole, international media rights are up ~10% for the next year. Decelerating seems to be a fair description, the days of soaring revenue year on year do seem to be going away. The market is still growing, but not like it was. The easy money has been made.

The only reason why the % increases are slowing is because the initial $ sum last year is very large.

The % increase in $ terms is still pretty large. And even split between each of the PL clubs its still a nice £ revenue increase for each of them

A lot more growth in commercial income still to come - even over the £180m forecast by THST for 2022 - just see how far behind Spurs will be from ManU et al
The big building blocks of that are the kit deals which are set in stone for us over the long term.

Stadium naming rights could bring it a lot, though it wouldn’t bridge the gap to United’s shirt deals.

The other stadium events will be a big boost, but nothing like the figures mooted on the previous page.

The biggest “additional events” that can be brought to the stadium are Champions League nights, especially against glitzy opposition, because the revenue is all ours rather than shared with the NFL or concert promoter or whoever.

Stadium events also impose significant costs on the club to operate (unlike a shirt sponsorship) so the financial impact is a bit apples-to-oranges.

We’re rich, but without the CL we’re not approaching United rich.

(Even United’s not gonna stay United rich without the CL)

The big building blocks of that are the kit deals which are set in stone for us over the long term.

Stadium naming rights could bring it a lot, though it wouldn’t bridge the gap to United’s shirt deals.

The other stadium events will be a big boost, but nothing like the figures mooted on the previous page.

The biggest “additional events” that can be brought to the stadium are Champions League nights, especially against glitzy opposition, because the revenue is all ours rather than shared with the NFL or concert promoter or whoever.

Stadium events also impose significant costs on the club to operate (unlike a shirt sponsorship) so the financial impact is a bit apples-to-oranges.

We’re rich, but without the CL we’re not approaching United rich.

(Even United’s not gonna stay United rich without the CL)

Sorry mate, I think you are incorrect. The big revenue increases, other than CL revenues will be commercial income.

There are several threads around with details of ManU and other clubs commercial income which are easy reading, and these tweets from Swiss Ramble on their recent results may help show how much growth Spurs could achieve if we reached Man U levels. Plus Spurs can get other revenue streams from its stadium that ManU cannot so we could get to a higher revenue ceiling

Sorry mate, I think you are incorrect. The big revenue increases, other than CL revenues will be commercial income.

There are several threads around with details of ManU and other clubs commercial income which are easy reading, and these tweets from Swiss Ramble on their recent results may help show how much growth Spurs could achieve if we reached Man U levels. Plus Spurs can get other revenue streams from its stadium that ManU cannot so we could get to a higher revenue ceiling

Half of that United figure is its deals with Adidas (75M per year) and Chevrolet (64M per year).

We make half that from AIA (40M per year) and Nike (30M per year). Locked in for several years to come.

The things I’m pushing back against here are claims of reaching 660M in total revenue or bringing in 120M from non-football stadium events in the immediate term. Wild hyperbole.

Our only path to the top of the European revenue charts is on the pitch. Period. The difference the stadium makes is at WHL we could win the Treble and wouldn’t even approach the United’s and Real Madrid’s in revenue. That’s no longer true.

Half of that United figure is its deals with Adidas (75M per year) and Chevrolet (64M per year).

We make half that from AIA (40M per year) and Nike (30M per year). Locked in for several years to come.

The things I’m pushing back against here are claims of reaching 660M in total revenue or bringing in 120M from non-football stadium events in the immediate term. Wild hyperbole.

Our only path to the top of the European revenue charts is on the pitch. Period. The difference the stadium makes is at WHL we could win the Treble and wouldn’t even approach the United’s and Real Madrid’s in revenue. That’s no longer true.

I'm not saying £120m from non football revenues (other than food and drink might be included in there) 'in the immediate term' , but assuming no covid then in year to June 2023 we should be on the way to that sort of number. And its revenue streams from activities ManU's stadium cannot currently deliver.

I'm not saying £120m from non football revenues (other than food and drink might be included in there) 'in the immediate term' , but assuming no covid then in year to June 2023 we should be on the way to that sort of number. And its revenue streams from activities ManU's stadium cannot currently deliver.
It’s an order of magnitude too much, even if all 16 available non-football events are full house affairs, which is itself a wildly unrealisitic projection.

Somebody else gets the ticket revenue for non-football events, they are not even close to as profitable as a Spurs home game, no matter how drunk the American tourists get at the NFL games.

50M would be stratospheric. And shouldn’t be sneezed at. At 30-odd million we’re covering the debt service for the stadium before accounting for a single Spurs game.

If the revenue projection were anywhere near as rosy as some are claiming here, we’d have no excuse not to be spending like City or Chelsea because player transfer costs would be no object. That is sadly not reality.

CL is clearly a big number, but the effects of commercial income such as exhibitions and conferences plus the 16 non football events plus increased shop sales (people in Spurs shop spend more than online) plus all sorts of smaller revenue streams such as stadium visits all add up.

If we take NFL events for example, Spurs take about £1m per PL match in food and drink sales, but NFL tends to be a more of a full day out plus drink prices go up, so wouldn't surprise me to see that double for NFL. Spurs charge a rent (lets guess at £1.5m - £2m per event) plus NFL merchandise sales in the shop - so I'd guess each NFL event takes in £4m - £5m per event. If that's the norm then 16 non football events gets Spurs £60m+ just for events (and might be £80m).

I also posted earlier that the conference and exhibition business might get £30m - £40m in a full year of trading - including food and drink sales which are not insubstantial for an exhibition which lasts several days and is open all day - with revenue estimates from one of our competitors in that market..

So that business which didn't happen in covid times could be anything up to around £100m (or even £120m ish) in a full year of trading which might be year ended June 2023.

So probably less than a good year in CL, but still a meaningful contribution in revenue terms.

And not to mention that Spurs are still adding commercial sponsorships - Grindr seeming to be a new significant sponsorship although I can't easily see a $ value - and there's loads of potential sponsorship type deals possible, just see how much Man U pull in.
What are the 16 events this year?

2 NFL games, I believe 2 Guns n Roses shows and 1 Lady Gaga show. A couple rugby finals, a big Saracens match, haven’t heard about any future boxing matches, not sure if Spurs Women matches count.

There aren’t 16 full houses to be had. Unless an NFL franchise comes of course. But surely that transaction would be for the whole stadium and football club along with it. (And is absolutely never going to occur, to be clear)

If you mean the year to June 2022 - Due to covid few will have been held.

If you mean year to June 2023, I'd guess that only 4 or 5 have been firmly boked as yet of which I'm aware of 2 days of Guns'n roses, at least one rugby match and one NFL match.

2 NFL games, I believe 2 Guns n Roses shows and 1 Lady Gaga show. A couple rugby finals, a big Saracens match, haven’t heard about any future boxing matches, not sure if Spurs Women matches count.

There aren’t 16 full houses to be had. Unless an NFL franchise comes of course. But surely that transaction would be for the whole stadium and football club along with it. (And is absolutely never going to occur, to be clear)
Guess there could be a few more music events in the summer…. But that’s 8 not 16

Said before.... Levy should have been onto Adelle's people about her doing a run of 5 (or more) shows over the course of this or next summer.

Said before.... Levy should have been onto Adelle's people about here doing a run of 5 (or more) shows over the course of this or next summer.
Email him. I did re: Beavertown and he took that idea on (probably had no bearing on their involvement)

Back
Top Bottom