Thee Mighty Tottenham Hotspur v WBA : Sunday 12:00pm

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The changes worked today. Dropping Sissoko and Bergwijn for Lucas and Lamela a massive difference. And seeing Kane against a team that gives him space is always a pleasure. Should've been 3 or 4 really.

Yes West Brom are weak, but they managed to get the ball in the back of the net twice, so it's as if they were utterly hopeless.
Our defence is utterly hopeless, they didn't play them offside. Just got lucky twice. Never quite looked comfortable until stoppage time back there. Would help not changing it every game.

As mentioned in the Jose thread, I don't see how people can say that was an improved performance. I didn't see the first half granted, but what I saw was no better than what we have seen. The only difference was WBA was the competition.

The passing and movement was so slow and lacking any real game plan. I love watching sides that know what is coming next in a movement. We stare at the man we want to pass to for ages and then make the pass. We don't play subconsciously for many portions of the game except on sublime counter attacks. The rest of the game is labored, slow football.

First half was actually better then the second. We played some very nice stuff first half and Kane could have easy had 4 today

Second half once we got the second we took our foot of the gas. Annoying and something I wish we didn't do but that performance in an attacking sense was improved

Let's be real for 70 minutes we were good. Not amazing just good. Much better intensity and much better in possession. Yes our goals came from Son/Kane but Moura/Lamela played their part too.

Dont know why we dropped off after that but I'm not going to get overly excited it was the right idea but West Brom are one of the worst teams in the league and they had very little threat going the other way.

We will be very defensive against City , Ok. Against Everton it will be more interesting to see how we play. That's the sort of opponent where we need to show we can play better football against.

In no ways convinced yet.
Exactly.

This win agaist a very poor team should be taken in the context of what it is.

In 3 days time when we play a better team, let's see our attacking intent then, and the games after, we are a good team, being coached very badly, and that will only change hopefully when a manager comes in with an attacking mindset

6 Conclusions;

1, Even though Kane was a little ring rusty, look at the difference he makes to the way we move forward and the options we inevitably have up front. I would rather rely on a world class forward, than not have a world class forward to rely on! Do Barca rely on \Messi? Did real rely on peak Ronaldo? Well Kane is our equivelant...and long may that continue! :)

2, This result doesn't answer all of the questions or concerns, but it does answer a few....like how much we are affected when we miss a few key players...and how much better we play when when have some of them back in the team...it's not rocket science.

3, Jose is not perfect, but he knows how to win things and he deserves our respect...if for no other reason, he should be respected because he is our manager, period. I for one can see that he still needs to finish the job he started, meaning we still need some players brought in who will execute his instructions perfectly and we still need to adapt to his methods (which I have no real problem with btw)...right now, he (and we) are making do with what we have, so there will be 'bumps in the road'.

4, This season isn't over by a long shot, except the title obvs, so let's get behind the team and accept that we'll suffer sometimes...generally, I'm still happy to have Jose as our manager and I won't even consider sacking him until he has proven himself a failure at our club....and that simply hasn't happened yet! Today showed that the players are behind him (never in doubt) and having good/great players on the pitch makes a huge difference...to ANY team.

5, To all the snowflakes out there, you are entitled to your opinions of course...this is what forums are for after all, but I also have a right to an opinion...and my opinion is that you all SUCK and that it's our duty as fans to support the club through thick and thin...and not to call for the manager's head every time we lose a game! (you should feel ashamed of yourselves)

6, We are SPURS and we should never abandon any part of our club...never! Especially when we're going through a bad run....if all it takes is a few bad results to throw you over the edge and start calling for the managers head, then you need to look yourselves long and hard...do you support the club? Do you support the manager? Or is is just a few players you like/hate? I support the club, from top to bottom....not blindly of course, I have some reservations like most fans, but my in-built support of this great club never wavers....NEVER!

COYS!

As mentioned in the Jose thread, I don't see how people can say that was an improved performance. I didn't see the first half granted, but what I saw was no better than what we have seen. The only difference was WBA was the competition.

The passing and movement was so slow and lacking any real game plan. I love watching sides that know what is coming next in a movement. We stare at the man we want to pass to for ages and then make the pass. We don't play subconsciously for many portions of the game except on sublime counter attacks. The rest of the game is labored, slow football.
We played against them as we actually should. Positive, one touch stuff, making runs, quick counters. It's a sad state of affairs when that is a suprise but wba just asked for it more then us doing it because that's how we wanted to play if that makes sense. Am not convinced we will see that against everton. Feels like we will revert to type. Next week we won't be coming out of our half.

Great to see Kane back so soon.

Delighted to see a more attacking outlook - and given it was WBA, definitely the way to go.

IMO, part of the change is that with Everton coming up on Wednesday, Mourhino knew he had to rest some players, and given Bergwijn's fitness he was rotated with either Moura or Lamela coming in, and Sissoko either rotated or dropped for the other Moura/Lamela to come into the side.

But the other thing was it allowed Ndombele to play as a CM with both attacking and defensive responsibilities in a 2 with Hojbjerg, which meant going forward we had an extra player to overload WBA's defense. Whilst I think both Lamela and Moura should be upgraded, having both on the field with Ndombele behind probably brings the best out of Ndombele - and as he's one of our better players that's important

Hope Mourhino saw how much better Spurs played when not playing with their backs to the wall. Maybe its a different blueprint going forward ?

We need to upgrade in the positions Moura and lamela take up but I think from our squad they're probably our best bet. I also think bale should at least be 1st option of the bench if we need a goal but mou still isn't convinced....
What makes you think Bale should be the first option? Bergwjin can get into better positions and tracks back much better. I’m not convinced Bale should even be above Vini at this point.

First half was actually better then the second. We played some very nice stuff first half and Kane could have easy had 4 today

Second half once we got the second we took our foot of the gas. Annoying and something I wish we didn't do but that performance in an attacking sense was improved
I'll watch it when it comes up for replay. I am not looking for Man City type displays of possession, but rather a sign that we work on an offensive identify that goes beyond counter attacking.

6 Conclusions;

1, Even though Kane was a little ring rusty, look at the difference he makes to the way we move forward and the options we inevitably have up front. I would rather rely on a world class forward, than not have a world class forward to rely on! Do Barca rely on \Messi? Did real rely on peak Ronaldo? Well Kane is our equivelant...and long may that continue! :)

2, This result doesn't answer all of the questions or concerns, but it does answer a few....like how much we are affected when we miss a few key players...and how much better we play when when have some of them back in the team...it's not rocket science.

3, Jose is not perfect, but he knows how to win things and he deserves our respect...if for no other reason, he should be respected because he is our manager, period. I for one can see that he still needs to finish the job he started, meaning we still need some players brought in who will execute his instructions perfectly and we still need to adapt to his methods (which I have no real problem with btw)...right now, he (and we) are making do with what we have, so there will be 'bumps in the road'.

4, This season isn't over by a long shot, except the title obvs, so let's get behind the team and accept that we'll suffer sometimes...generally, I'm still happy to have Jose as our manager and I won't even consider sacking him until he has proven himself a failure at our club....and that simply hasn't happened yet! Today showed that the players are behind him (never in doubt) and having good/great players on the pitch makes a huge difference...to ANY team.

5, To all the snowflakes out there, you are entitled to your opinions of course...this is what forums are for after all, but I also have a right to an opinion...and my opinion is that you all SUCK and that it's our duty as fans to support the club through thick and thin...and not to call for the manager's head every time we lose a game! (you should feel ashamed of yourselves)

6, We are SPURS and we should never abandon any part of our club...never! Especially when we're going through a bad run....if all it takes is a few bad results to throw you over the edge and start calling for the managers head, then you need to look yourselves long and hard...do you support the club? Do you support the manager? Or is is just a few players you like/hate? I support the club, from top to bottom....not blindly of course, I have some reservations like most fans, but my in-built support of this great club never wavers....NEVER!

COYS!
REAL FAN KLAXON

First half was good, good intensity and will to play forward.

Very disappointed with the second half after the 2-0, a small amount of pressure from West Brom and we faded away very quickly. It’s really worrying just how bad we are at keeping the ball and playing through even the slightest pressure from inferior teams. Once West Brom started to enter our half we disappeared as an attacking force.

Overall still a huge amount of work to do, the players did the bare minimum today (which is more than recent matches) but still not enough to convince me of anything.

Back
Top Bottom