Tim Sherwood

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Hmm, hadn't seen that interview before and now I think Sherwood might make a pretty good old skool manager one day, but he's incredibly naive when it comes to handling team's internal affairs.

Be interested to know if this latest statement has been delivered with Levys blessing, or if he's just shooting from the hip.
Given the publicity to his Saturday speech, I suspect it could be the former, otherwise it could be just the excuse Levy needs to fuck him off.
Then again, Tim may just decide to risk it.

I hope he shouts YIDS YIDS YIDS! and starts to smash a few smart phones up in the changing room.

:adesalute:

Hmm, hadn't seen that interview before and now I think Sherwood might make a pretty good old skool manager one day, but he's incredibly naive when it comes to handling team's internal affairs.

I dont think he's naive...I think he knows exactly what he's doing, and doesnt really give a fuck who it offends or worries.

Fair play if you ask me

Sorry if old

Tottenham Hotspur squad 'playing for their careers'

They know how I am and how I felt about what happened," Sherwood said when asked how his players responded to his post-match comments.
We are moving on, you can't dwell on it. They are all men, they all appreciate that I am singing it from the heart, not from the script - I'm not an actor, I work on impulse.
I'm never going to take a step back. I'm just going to shoot from the hip. That's what I'm like. I'm a manager, not a babysitter.
A lot of players here are playing for their future and I think they realise that now. I'm going to have a good look at the whole squad and see who I need to keep and who I need to bring in.
They have that chance between now and the end of the season to prove they want to play for a giant club like Tottenham.
I want players here who want to play for the club and they have between now and the end of the season to show that they are playing for their club and not for themselves.
I don't think at any football club a player should be doing them a favour by playing for them.
– Tim Sherwood

I dont think he's naive...I think he knows exactly what he's doing, and doesnt really give a fuck who it offends or worries.

Fair play if you ask me
How can a man with only three months' experience "know exactly what he's doing"?

The other day you said that he wasn't the man to take us forward, and you said it on the basis that ultimately he wasn't up to the job. If he knows exactly what he's doing, surely he's the man for the future?

I don't think he's the one to take us forward but I don't disagree with anything he said in that press conference.
Bollocks to "Some of the players might not like it and will want out" Fuck them. They're not the ones you want playing for the shirt.

I want players here who want to play for the club and they have between now and the end of the season to show that they are playing for their club and not for themselves.
I don't think at any football club a player should be doing them a favour by playing for them.
– Tim Sherwood

Couldn't have said it better myself.

It looks a bit desperate to me. I can't imagine any situation where id say that to my staff, and although its a different industry, I just can't see it going down well whichever industry your in. If you have problem staff who can't be fixed then you shift them out the way, not publicly try and shame them.
I do agree with his view mind you - displays have been gutless and pathetic. Just not sure this will work out the way he wants it to.
If we get knocked out the Europa and lose to Woolwich then you have to say Sherwood is surely going. Just have to see whether what he's done works or not in the next two/three games.

How can a man with only three months' experience "know exactly what he's doing"?

The other day you said that he wasn't the man to take us forward, and you said it on the basis that ultimately he wasn't up to the job. If he knows exactly what he's doing, surely he's the man for the future?

He knows what he's saying and why....not he's the man to get us titles

Am I seriousy that confusing to people? I mean, we are discussing his press conference right?

Sorry if old

Tottenham Hotspur squad 'playing for their careers'

They know how I am and how I felt about what happened," Sherwood said when asked how his players responded to his post-match comments.
We are moving on, you can't dwell on it. They are all men, they all appreciate that I am singing it from the heart, not from the script - I'm not an actor, I work on impulse.
I'm never going to take a step back. I'm just going to shoot from the hip. That's what I'm like. I'm a manager, not a babysitter.
A lot of players here are playing for their future and I think they realise that now. I'm going to have a good look at the whole squad and see who I need to keep and who I need to bring in.
They have that chance between now and the end of the season to prove they want to play for a giant club like Tottenham.
– Tim Sherwood

His rhetoric is absolutely bang on and what we need, in that I do not disagree.

I just don't currently believe that he has the standing amongst the players to back it up. The sad truth is that to achieve a good team we need to employ some primadonas and the majority of those primadonas will go at the first sign of unhappiness.
You can't tell me that Jan looks at the comment 'You're playing for your Spurs future' and thinks anything other than 'Not bothered, Barcelona will probably take me'.
Good riddance you will say, but the uncomfortable truth is players with inflated opinions of themselves exist and need to be managed. AVB certainly can't/couldn't manage that and it remains to be seen whether Tim can. He's certainly laid down the marker now.

He knows what he's saying and why....not he's the man to get us titles

Am I seriousy that confusing to people? I mean, we are discussing his press conference right?
I just think that if you're gonna say that he knows exactly what he's doing then it's a pretty firm implication that he'll turn the team around and get what he needs from them, no?

I just think that if you're gonna say that he knows exactly what he's doing then it's a pretty firm implication that he'll turn the team around and get what he needs from them, no?

Not to me its not. I should have said he knows exacty what he's saying.....I thought that was obvious given the light of the discussion.

Never mind, its clarified now.

If he grew up a Spurs fan and not a Gooner, there would be plenty here extolling his SPURS VALUES and having the best interests of the club coursing through his veins...
As it is, he's reading the riot act to the players of someone else's club!

Plus, he was hardly Hoddle-esque in his playing ability, so can't really play that card either.
He's from the 'Arry school of 'ard graft, real men, and Physio's sponges!!!

he seems confident that he'll be here next year. maybe Levy's told him, or maybe he's just hoping.

who knows...

Who knows...

His bold statements say 1 of 2 things to me
He knows he is in for next season no matter what and has the ok to shake up the squad

or

He knows there is no chance of him in for next season so doesnt give a fuck!

People can call Sherwood a gooner or whatever but you can tell he is by far the most gutted and upset when we aren't doing well. I respect that in a manager. That's why he's frustrated with the squad, because they aren't displaying the same desire to win that he has.

Once again, he doesn't have the experience and tactical ability yet to be the guy that bring us forward. But he certainly has the attitude and temperament that I like in a manager.

Who knows...

His bold statements say 1 of 2 things to me
He knows he is in for next season no matter what and has the ok to shake up the squad

or

He knows there is no chance of him in for next season so doesnt give a fuck!

Unfortunately, I think you are right and that one way or another it is all about Tim Sherwood.

He is saying what he thinks people want to hear about players wanting to play for the club etc., but it doesn't seem genuine to me.

Genuinely hope I'm wrong as it would be nice for him to do well rather than have to go for another manager swap.

Unfortunately, I think you are right and that one way or another it is all about Tim Sherwood.

He is saying what he thinks people want to hear about players wanting to play for the club etc., but it doesn't seem genuine to me.

Genuinely hope I'm wrong as it would be nice for him to do well rather than have to go for another manager swap.
I reckon he is sincere about what he's saying about the players, and I really do think he wants to turn it around. But I agree that the motivations seem selfish as he's probably wanting to make a success of it because his next job is unlikely to be anywhere as big a management job as Spurs.

I certainly dont think he's the man to take us forward - I think we all know that - But I appreciate his sentiments. As fans we all say it, and yes it will have an effect on some in the dressing room for sure, but I think it needed saying. Why do managers have to bottle it all up? Why not speak the truth? Could be a master stroke if the ones that DO give a fuck now come out all guns blazing till the end of the season.

My feeling is - if the players dont want to be here then a change of manager (AGAIN) isnt exactly a guarantee of them staying... even if they did, are they gonna put the effort in, particularly if the next man in is someone like LVG who allegedly doesnt suffer fools or lack of effort in the slightest?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom