Tottenham’s Greatest Ever Striker

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The stats all point to Greaves but since i've supported us (1975) i'm going for Kane. Klinsmann was arguably the most talented but he was only here 18 months. Kane's all round game, his workrate and the way he has pushed the club on, almost on his own at times is phenominal.

Good point. But that's why I was so surprised that he left us when he did. We had just signed Ossie and Ricky - and Glenn was getting established in the team, so he was certainly getting better service than in his previous years at the club.
If he had stayed for a while and kept clear of injuries, we'd probably never have signed both Crooks and Archie.

But was it a choice on his part or was he no longer wanted by Burkinshaw? There isn't much information about him on Wikipedia but in 1979 he was 30 years old and he didn't do much at either Derby or Scunthorpe after he left us. In his last season with us, he only made 2 appearances and scored 1 goal and there were a couple of other seasons where he made very few appearances so it was impossible for us to rely on him.

It was Glenn Hoddle who picked up the goal-scoring slack in the following season. He got 22 goals in 79/80.

Most crazily spectacular goals Pavlyochenko. Blind volleys over his right shoulder from no angle at all and almost breaking the net.

If you got extra pts for style we'd have won the PL, CL, and the Intergalactic Universe Cup all in the same season.

Good point. But that's why I was so surprised that he left us when he did. We had just signed Ossie and Ricky - and Glenn was getting established in the team, so he was certainly getting better service than in his previous years at the club.
If he had stayed for a while and kept clear of injuries, we'd probably never have signed both Crooks and Archie.

74/75 played 28, scored 12 goals (division 1)
75/76 played 37, scored 20 goals (div 1)
76/77 played 9 , scored 4 goals (div 1) injured in season
77/78 played 27, scored 16 (div 2)
78/79 played 2 scored 1 (div 1) moved to Derby in September, start of season

I think its clear that Duncan was a decent footballer for us but his strike partner was Chris Jones so neither were top notch, with the additional problem of Duncan picking up a few injuries - and injuries in 76/77 were probably a reason why we got relegated.

When we came back up after a season of visiting new grounds he was 30 and I think Spurs thought it was time for a few new faces so he was moved on. But he did a decent job for us at a time we weren't very good and his goals certainly helped ensure we only had one season in division 2 - it could easily have been a couple of seasons without him I'd have thought.

Never seen greaves play but obviously the older generation say he was the best. For me its klinsmann. He lifted the gloom at club at time and was fearless. In the box he was mayhem and clinical. Remember going to highbury in 95 and klinsmann was marked out of game for 80 minutes by their back four. 10 minutes to go he popped up and scored a quality header. He was never out of game. One of my favourite ever players tbh.

Back
Top Bottom