Tottenham Hotspur FC - Man City Mercenaries

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Come on, its just romanticising about a player who was at his best for 6 months of his Spurs career and then went completely downhill, we was desperate for him to leave (Sadly) at the end of last season.
The man we are missing is a Sandro in his peak. He is a true beast when fully fit.

I agree we need a lot more heart and passion in our performance though. It seemed to me that Ade was that player yesterday, shoving Yaya Toure off the pitch, etc..
It will be interesting to see if Sherwood even plays Sandro, he is a DM and I thought our management team don't like DM's.

His face is his secret weapon

1340134374112.gif

Love him. Reminds me of myself on the pitch, about the same playing style.

Love him. Reminds me of myself on the pitch, about the same playing style.

That's what English football is about though isn't it? We haven't got the silky skills, but no other nationality will willingly take one to the face like a defensive English player :p
Or like Ledley - "fuck having knees"..

It will be interesting to see if Sherwood even plays Sandro, he is a DM and I thought our management team don't like DM's.
What will be interesting is to see how that quote is twisted and turned into some bullshit and becomes and urban myth.

What Les said made perfect sense, aside from the always arguing/agreeing thing.

What will be interesting is to see how that quote is twisted and turned into some bullshit and becomes and urban myth.

What Les said made perfect sense, aside from the always arguing/agreeing thing.

Only time will tell I guess.
But based on what we have seen so far and listening to Les's views on a DM, it is reasonable to assume that his preferred centre Mid paring would Bentaleb and Paulinho or am I missing something?

Only time will tell I guess.
But based on what we have seen so far and listening to Les's views on a DM, it is reasonable to assume that his preferred centre Mid paring would Bentaleb and Paulinho or am I missing something?

Doubt that. Even with Bentaleb available and doing well enough he chose to go with Dembele and Paulinho against Stoke. I'm still holding out hope he sees Bentaleb as a utility player for the time being while wait for a couple players to return from injury.

Doubt that. Even with Bentaleb available and doing well enough he chose to go with Dembele and Paulinho against Stoke. I'm still holding out hope he sees Bentaleb as a utility player for the time being while wait for a couple players to return from injury.
The point that was being made, refferenced further up the thread, was he will not be playing Sandro in Central Midfield, you appear to agree with this?

The point that was being made, refferenced further up the thread, was he will not be playing Sandro in Central Midfield, you appear to agree with this?

Whoops, I apologize for missing the point of your question.

I'm not sure anyone knows whether he will or will not with Sandro. I think we can have higher hopes based on the comparative facts with Capoue that 1- Sandro has been at Spurs longer (referenced due to Tim's comment he didn't "know Capoue very well,") and 2- he's more than proved himself at the Prem level in that time. Dembele has done very well though under Tim's reign, so I'm not sure Sandro will be able to dislodge him, and Tim seems to have high praise for Paulinho.

For the immediate time, I'm hoping Capoue did enough yesterday to merit a starting spot against Hull. Dembele and Bentaleb's mechanics, decisions, and touches are all far too similar. A right-footed CDM would be a much-needed touch of balance in the side, especially with how remarkably weak we are on our left side.

Curious but how do people rate the players last night, I understand it was against City and they tend to steam roll everyone but here mine for what it’s worth.
Loris: 8 - Amazing save from Aguero, can't really fault him
Walker: 6 - Ran himself into the ground
Dawson: 4 - Love him to bits but not good enough against this quality
Chirches: 6 - Thought he was great under pressure, lot of composure
Rose: 6 - Very good, shame about the linesman
Lennon: 3 - I know he has limitation but that was poor
Bentaleb 5 - Nowhere in the first half but second half was quite good, a game of two halves as they say
Dembele 5 - Good touches, did Toure once or twice let down by sloppy passing
Siggy 1 - I know its City but what the fuck
Eriksen 5 - Talent of any city player but not great defensively,
Ade 5 - Gave a lot but never really in a position to threaten
Subs
Capoue 4 - Maybe controversial as he scored but is he really a DM because he never followed midfield runners, no where near Sandro
Holtby 5 - not much time tried his best
Noughton 4 - again tried his best not his position

Thought Capoue actually did very well when he came on. He had a couple passes picked off early on, but after his goal he gained a bit of composure and confidence and did very well in maintaining possession.
It was the defense that was poor, watch the Rose tackle that got him sent off again and see how he let the man go and didn't run back after him, he did that on quite a few occassions, I had the impression he was supposed to be a DM like Sandro but he played more like Bentaleb or Dembele.

Dermot Gallagher reckons Tottenham¿s Danny Rose should not have been dismissed against Manchester City
Last Updated: 30/01/14 11:49am

Former Premier League referee Dermot Gallagher reckons Tottenham's Danny Rose should not have been dismissed against Manchester City on Wednesday.

Gallagher believes the decision to award a penalty against Rose, when he appeared to win the ball in a challenge with Edin Dzeko, was wrong, but he feels referee Andre Marriner had no choice but to dismiss the Spurs defender after pointing to the spot.

"It wasn't Andre's fault," Gallacher said. "Danny Rose has got so much of the ball. Dzeko's knees have buckled. For me it's a good tackle.

"It's the assistant who gives the penalty, and unfortunately once the penalty's given the argument is it's a red card, it's got to be a red card because it's denying a goal scoring opportunity, but for me, no. No penalty. No red card.

"The referee should just give a corner, he's played the ball out, but the assistant has come in and he's flagged. He's flagged in all honesty he's given what he thinks he's seen. But he's read it wrong, and unfortunately he's sold the referee down the river. It should be a corner, and we can't defend that."

Tottenham endured other misfortune during their 5-1 reverse at White Hart Lane when Michael Dawson ghosted in behind Emmanuel Adebayor to meet a free-kick and volley into the net from close range, only to be denied by the assistant's flag.

On this occasion Gallacher backed the decision from the same assistant, on the basis that Adebayor was offside when he challenged City keeper Joe Hart for Christian Eriksen's aerial delivery.

Gallacher said: "The same assistant. And I think he's got this one 100% right because the law does say if a player attempts to challenge for the ball he must be given offside. Adebayor's in an offside position as the ball comes in.

"Hart goes to play the ball and Adebayor goes to head the ball. Now the minute he goes to head the ball he's interfered with an opponent and therefore he's guilty of an offside offence. Therefore the goal was correctly disallowed."

Across London, Chelsea enduring a frustrating night when they were held to a scoreless draw by West Ham at Stamford Bridge.

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho complained about time wasting from the Hammers, which resulted in seven minutes being added at the end of the match.

Mourinho also criticised referee Neil Swarbrick's decision to rule out a Samuel Eto'o effort when the striker put the ball in the net as West Ham keeper Adrian prepared to take a free-kick.

Gallacher said: "He's actually given a free kick. I just think when Neil gives the original decision there's a little lack of clarity really, people are left wondering.

"But you see from the original offence when there's a clash with goalkeeper in the six-yard area (Swarbrick) goes to the goalkeeper, says free-kick and puts the ball down."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/...t-have-been-dismissed-against-manchester-city

Edin Dzeko went down easy, looking for the pen (I know we all know this) commentators comment on when they should fall as its part of the skill in being a forward. There was more skill in Roses good tackle than Edin Dzeko diving. The comments should be the other way round?

It was the defense that was poor, watch the Rose tackle that got him sent off again and see how he let the man go and didn't run back after him, he did that on quite a few occassions, I had the impression he was supposed to be a DM like Sandro but he played more like Bentaleb or Dembele.

I'll have to look at it again, but it looked to me like an excellent through ball past two poorly positioned CB's.

Yes agree with you.It is like you wait ages for a game to come around now with no FA Cup and this happens.i can take losing but not a massive piss take like there has been this season with woolwich and west ham.all you will see and hear on sky sports news now until Friday is this game

Fortunately (if you can call it that) Man City are a cracking team. Bloody hell.

As for the Woolwich and West Ham results, well compared to the scum we have just regressed (while they are standing still) and West Ham, haha, they are just dog-shit, more so than ever.

Obviously, Sherwood would do well to recall, that performances like this was the exact reason AVB was sacked (because the results were pretty much the same).

A whole lot of fans seem to think, that Sherwood will be gone in the summer more or less no matter how he does. I am inclined to agree.

It wasn't the result that got avb sacked it was the completely lack of fight and belief from the players, even at 10 me we where running hard even if it was too no avail, against Liverpool the body language was the worst I have ever seen and we had most of our players fit for that game. Sherwood will probably not last but people have very short memories if they think the performance was as bad as the previous Liverpool or man city outings. When we have our big game players fit again we will get a better understanding of where we are.

Don't say that. Look at the abuse I got for saying player power was involved...

I do not agree about the performance yesterday, though. We could easily have lost as much or as little as AVB's defeat in Manchester. Running around or not, the performance was equally poor.

Back
Top Bottom